British Speedway Forum

Well the speedway World Cup is over for another year, and congratulations to Poland, in winning it. But I personally think that now is the time to make some changes to the World Cup format, which would improve and freshen- it-up.

So first-up I would change the team format. We all know that some teams struggle to raise five strong riders, for their national team. I would change the number of riders to four per team, plus a reserve. This reserve rider would be used for any unforeseen incidents, such as riders being ruled out of the meeting due to injury. Why should any team suffer from being one rider short? The reserve would also be allowed to replace any rider at any time during the meeting. Each main team member would still be allowed on tactical substitute race, if their team is six points or more behind, during the heats 1 – 16 only.

Next thing to change is the racing formula. Now that each team consists of four main riders. The races would now be in blocks of four. Gates positions would be changed, so that all teams in each block would receive gates 1, 2, 3 and 4 once only, in each group block of four races, with no rider being programmed to have the same gate more than once during the meeting. This would put an end to team being disadvantaged, in having mostly inside or outside gates in blocks of races, as is the case now. This formula would be fairer to all competing teams. In theory this would make teams stronger.

The number of races in the speedway World Cup as we all know is 25 races, per meeting. With four man teams it would revert back to the old traditional 16 heat formula. But I would expand on this, and add an additional four races, which would all be nominated, with no rider being allowed to race in more than once in these races. This would definitely give the team manager’s something to think about. It would also make it extremely interesting for the crowd. Who as we know like to play team manager during meetings, trying to work which rider would ride, in each of these races? And you must remember that all teams would have each gate only once during these races. This would certainly spice things up, towards the end, of the meeting.

Now for the dreaded tactical joker. I think that it should either be completely scrapped, or allowance be given for all teams to use once during heats 1 – 16 only. As currently why should the leading team be penalized, for riding well and then a team struggling for points then be given an advantage, in a race, for double points, it just doesn’t make sense to me, or too many other speedway supporters, that I know.

First change is to NOT hold the final in Poland next year.

They tried having a reserve before, but this was manipulated by a rider performing badly suddenly becoming too ill to ride. Why not hold the final in sweden next year.

Why not hold the final at the Millenium Stadium.

Sell the tickets before Team GB get eliminated in order to get a good attendance.

There should be a independant doctor at the meeting and they should judge whether a reserve can come in.

Let every team have a reserve, they can take ANY 5 rides plus a tactical.

If a team uses to put Crump, Gollob, Sayfutdinov, Harris or Nicki at reserve then thats up to them but if they put them in races in the first 20 heats an a rider gets wiped out in the last round of heats, tough rubbish!

Edited by SCB

Personaly I dont think Speedway gets any better than what I saw tonight, but if you wanted to spice it up a bit more; what about the top riders from the eliminated countrys forming a team for the final?

They tried having a reserve before, but this was manipulated by a rider performing badly suddenly becoming too ill to ride.

Reserve allowed max 3 rides per meeting and no such stories like Gollob or Crump at reserve.

Personaly I dont think Speedway gets any better than what I saw tonight, but if you wanted to spice it up a bit more; what about the top riders from the eliminated countrys forming a team for the final?

I've always wanted to go to The rest of the world on holiday!!!

What a pathetic suggestion, my suggestion is stick to golf ;)

As is usual people are calling for change when they don`t agree with the result.

The Final was great with the verdict still unsure until the penultimate heat.

Think that speedway was yet again the winner.

I agree, 4 riders teams have been tried before and was open to manipulation by the use of a reserve.

IF there was a better way of running 4 rider teams then its an option.

But personally speaking think the formula of 5 rider teams is right.

The only dispute of a team not having 5 riders was down to country politics.

They should be penalised and made to qualify for there actions. There was NO REASON why Emil couldnt have ridden on Monday because the problem was solved for the race off.

A tough stance should be made to let countries know if you dont ensure 5 riders WILL be available then you will be withdrawn and allow the next ranked team to take there place.

Russia have proved there an emerging nation, but did themselves a diservice on Monday by there own federation (politics or not).

The only thing we need to change is the Joker.. other than that it is a good format, although we can get used to seeing Poland and maybe the Aussies ruling for years to come. The only format change I wondered about I think they tried years ago, but where in each race they have 3 nations, two riders from one nation, then one rider from two other nations. This way it might lead to good team riding and a true team world cup. Sure it was tried, but not sure why it didnt work out.

I miss the times when the team just included two riders. If you change the World Cup from five riders team to two riders tem more country will be able to participate and its more likely that other team than Danmark, Poland and Sweden will win.

For example is it à greater chance Russia Will win with Emil and Laguta or USA with Hancock/Fisher. Even countries like Ukraine and Slovenia will have à chance to mess up à little bit for the topnations.

Ride every heat in pairs and let all team meet eachother once. I have no idea how many teams you need in à final to get 20-25 heat but I believe we need to do something to make it more equal for the smaller speedwaynations.

I've always wanted to go to The rest of the world on holiday!!!

What a pathetic suggestion, my suggestion is stick to golf ;)

omg cant come up with your own ideas? whats stoping you going abroad for holls? never been into golf , but if youve any other life guiding sujestions I may tur my back on the last 40yrs riding/sponsering

In an ideal world I'd love to see a World Cup similar to that of football or rugby union. A tournament in one country over a couple of weeks, two team matches, but unfortunately that would cause too many mismatches. Football can get away with for e.g. Italy v New Zealand in the 2010 World Cup but can you imagine Poland v Hungary or Slovakia at speedway?

Maybe a divisional type of tournament? Have matches between Poland / Australia / Sweden / Denmark / GB / Russia? in division one, Czech Republic, Germany, USA, Slovenia, Finland, Italy in division two? promotion / relegation?

Having said all that the run off and final this year were extraordinary. The level of skill was a big step up from that seen at league level week in week out. It is a big step up for a lot of riders and this is where I feel the British riders miss out by not being exposed to this sort of level of intensity more often. How many riders did we see this week riding above themselves because they were riding for their county? Anybody watching the sport this week had to be impressed.

I miss the times when the team just included two riders. If you change the World Cup from five riders team to two riders tem more country will be able to participate and its more likely that other team than Danmark, Poland and Sweden will win.

For example is it à greater chance Russia Will win with Emil and Laguta or USA with Hancock/Fisher. Even countries like Ukraine and Slovenia will have à chance to mess up à little bit for the topnations.

Ride every heat in pairs and let all team meet eachother once. I have no idea how many teams you need in à final to get 20-25 heat but I believe we need to do something to make it more equal for the smaller speedwaynations.

That was the World Pairs, which I'd like to see brought back alongside the SWC.

My only gripes with SWC is the jokers and the fact that a team event has an individual format. There should be two teams of two riders in each race. It can be done.

Don't hold it every year. Every 2 years, fine, but not every year.

Joker can only be played once 8/10 points back.

Hold the race off at a different track to the final (it can be in the same country though, and I would understand not changing this one because of the logistics, but it'd be nice).

Job's a good 'un.