British Speedway Forum
stressed

Islanders V Stoke

ISLANDERS TACKLE POTTERS

By Isle of Wight Speedway ~ Sunday 24th July 2011

Wightlink Islanders take to the track hoping for better weather than has greeted them for their last two Smallbrook fixtures. Stoke Potters are the visitors on Tuesday this week to the Ryde circuit at 7.30pm in National League action.

The Potters are just above the Islanders in the league table with 13 points and two fixtures in hand to the Islanders 7 points. Another must win fixture for the Islanders who will be glad to welcome Paul Starke back following the horrific accident in the recent league fixture against King's Lynn Young Stars in Norfolk which left Starke only able to run one bike after writing off all bar the engine in the crash. Starke also aggravated his shoulder in last week's wash out but turned out in the first round of the World Under 21 Championship on Sunday at Poole as a reserve. Starke was given four rides scoring 3 points back on the pace.

Following Tuesday evenings fixture the Islanders take their place in the National League Fours competition on Saturday at Stoke and on Sunday the team visit South Wales to tackle Newport in league action.

Back in May the Islanders went down 53-40 in KO Cup action so will be hoping for a better performance. The Hornets have made a couple of team changes with former Islander Brendan Johnson and Steven Jones replacing David Gough and Tom Young this week.

Islanders co-promoter Chris Hunt said, "The fixtures against Stoke and Newport are going to be tough hopefully the boys will be fit so we can give both teams a run for their money."

Tuesdays Team news:

ISLE OF WIGHT 'ISLANDERS'

1. Nick Simmons ©

2. Gary Cottham

3. Danny Warwick

4. Rob Smith

5. Paul Starke

6. Charlie Saunders

7. Luke Chessell

Team managers: Chris Hunt and Kevin Shepherd

STOKE 'POTTERS'

1. Simon Lambert

2. James Sarjeant

3. Tony Atkin ©

4. Jaimie Pickard

5. Tim Webster

6. Ben Reade

7. Gareth Isherwood

Team manager: Malcolm Vasey

REFEREE: Barbara Horley

Looking forward to this one, will be making the trip down!

I think Stoke could pinch a win here! I hope anyway!

Looking forward to this one, will be making the trip down!

I think Stoke could pinch a win here! I hope anyway!

Hope you enjoy your trip, I think you could well steal a win. Make a big to the potters league position especially if you picked up all 4 points.

Cert away win, the iow have a heinously weak side since they got rid of the middle order to accomodate the dreadlocked one.

Hope with the influx of holidaymakers that the Islanders can double their gate, compared to the 200 or so fans when I was there in May.

Will be making my first visit to the Island this evening. Hope the weathers good!

Will be making my first visit to the Island this evening. Hope the weathers good!

Don't forget your passport! :wink:

Don't forget your passport! :wink:

I remember years ago a US client telling us very proudly that he had set up his business in IOW to get the tax benefits. We said - do you mean IOM ? To which he said "Oh Sh**" !

Edited by ChubbyCheshire

Good to see both IOW reserves are Swindon lads, which is 2 more than the Robins side.

Well done to the Potters :approve:

I even managed to predict the scoreline on the updates site, Get in :D. Got a prediction right for once.

WAHOOOOOOO

Just got back to my hotel room. That's all I have to say :D

WAHOOOOOOO

Just got back to my hotel room. That's all I have to say :D

I take it you enjoyed your trip :D

I take it you enjoyed your trip :D

Can't complain at a win! :D