British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Bryn

Iow V Buxton - August 9, 7.30pm

Anybody know if Rob Smith will be fit to ride for the Wightlink Islanders against the Hitmen following his crash in Saturday's away match at Stoke?

Looking forward to the meeting, hopefully it'll be a good one with another big holiday crowd attendance and, of course, there's a second night of speedway at Smallbrook on Thursday with the Southern Track Riders Association in Amateur action.

Anybody know if Rob Smith will be fit to ride for the Wightlink Islanders against the Hitmen following his crash in Saturday's away match at Stoke?

Looking forward to the meeting, hopefully it'll be a good one with another big holiday crowd attendance and, of course, there's a second night of speedway at Smallbrook on Thursday with the Southern Track Riders Association in Amateur action.

Hi Bryn we the Hitmen are at full strength and are not coming all that way for no points.So i will be motivating my team to go for the winn we need one. :cheers: jack

Edited by rider slider

According to IOW's press release, Rob will be riding, so the Islanders will also be at full strength:

c/o BSPA (Article here):

ISLE OF WIGHT: ISLANDERS V BUXTON (NL)

TUESDAY AUGUST 09, 2011

Wightlink Islanders skipper Nick Simmons makes his first Bronze helmet defence tonight at Smallbrook against the visitors Adam Allott before the main National league fixture against the Buxton Hitmen gets underway at 7.30pm.

Simmons who scooped first prize in last week's WPA Health Insurance Open Championship said, "Everything has been going really, really well for me which has been pretty good. It will be nice to defend it here after winning it away from home, it would be a shame of I lost but again I will do my best, Adam's a fast starter but I know I'm quick around here and hopefully I can get my number one engine back together."

"It was a shame for Todd as he rode well last week, you kind of have to have a bit of luck sometimes, and luckily I was in second to take it away but I would probably of passed him, but I do feel sorry for Todd, he had such a good night but unfortunately that's speedway," added Simmons.

Another away defeat on Saturday at Stoke has not pleased the Islanders management, co-promoter Chris Hunt said, "A heavy defeat, a very poor display and a lack lustre performance. Luke and Rob were riding really well but the others were really disappointing, we really weren't at the same race that Stoke were at. Thankfully Rob is ok and will be taking his place in the team tonight after his visit to hospital Saturday night."

"After a more spirited performance at Newport is was disappointing to see it go down the pan like that. We should be good enough to beat Buxton tonight, I'm hoping they can bounce back with a convincing win to be honest, that's what I want to see and a good all round performance with 3 points," concluded Hunt.

Also at Smallbrook this week on Thursday (13th) more Speedway when the Southern Track Riders take centre stage. Riders from the amateur scene taking to the Island shale, both evenings start at 7.30pm.

Mildenhall return to the Island in National league action together with legendary Kiwi, holder of 15 world titles Ivan Mauger who visit Smallbrook on Tuesday 16th August. Mauger has published his autobiography, ‘The Will To Win’, this will be on sale ahead of the Islander’s National League match that evening. Mauger will also be available to sign his autobiography as well as posing for photographs as part of his UK tour.

Today's Teams;

ISLE OF WIGHT 'ISLANDERS'

1. Nick Simmons

2. Gary Cottham

3. Danny Warwick

4. Rob Smith

5. Paul Starke

6. Charlie Saunders

7. Luke Chessell

Team managers: Chris Hunt and Kevin Shepherd

BUXTON 'HITMEN'

1. Adam Allott

2. Dean Felton

3. Luke Priest

4. Ben Taylor

5. Robert Branford

6. Paul Burnett

7. Ryan Blacklock

Team manager: Jack Lee

Updates will be available as usual here.

Good Luck Danny and Adam . :party:

c/o Speedway Updates:KOPIOWANIE TYLKO ZA ZGOD¥ ADMINISTRATORA

Please remember that these updates cost the texter and updater money, please don't ruin it for others by posting the score up before the updater has had a chance to update this screen

All Updates will appear in this window, please feel free to post any comments below.

Texter: Rusty

Updater: rhidassa

Isle of Wight 'Islanders' = 49

isle_of_wight.gif

1. Nick Simmons...2, 3, 3, 1, F = 9

2. Gary Cottham...0, 1, 3, 1 = 5

3. Danny Warwick...3, 2, 3, 2 = 10

4. Rob Smith...1 = 1 WITHDRAWN

5. Paul Starke...2, 2, 3, 3, 2 = 12

6. Rikki Mullins...2', R, 0, 0, 1' = 3+2

7. Luke Chessell...3, 1', 2', R, 1', 2 = 9+3

Team Managers: Chris Hunt & Kevin Shepherd

Buxton 'Hitmen' = 44

buxton-1.jpg

1. Adam Allott...3, 3, 2, 2, 3 = 13

2. Dean Felton...1, 1, 1, 1' = 4+1

3. Luke Priest...2, 3, 2, 3, 1 = 11

4. Ben Taylor...0, 1, 0, 6^ = 7

5. Robert Branford...3, 2, 2, 0 = 7

6. Paul Burnett...1, 0, 1', 0, 0 = 2+1

7. Ryan Blacklock...FX, 0, R = 0

Team Manager: Jack Lee

Referee: Christina Turnbull

Heat Results

Bronze Helmet Race: Nick Simmons 69.1

Line Up: Nick Simmons (Defender), Adam Allott (Challenger)

Comments: Allott wins toss taking inside gate.

Allott gates, predictably, but ref calls it back for unsatisfactory start. In the rerun, Allott still gated, but Simmons had better outside run, and after pulling level along back straight, went round the outside to lead on the home straight, to the cheers of the very decent crowd! Hoorah!

NICK SIMMONS KEEPS THE BRONZE HELMET!

Buxton win the toss, taking gates 2 & 4 in Heat 1.

Heat 01: Allott, Simmons, Felton, Cottham, 2-4, 2-4, 68.0

Line Up: Nick Simmons, Gary Cottham, Adam Allott, Dean Felton

Comments: Allott gates again, but this time Simmons cant pull level, and has to chase hard. Allott must've sorted out his gearing though, because Simmons couldn't get past. These 2 were half a lap in front of Felton, then Cottham at the back.

Sponsored by www.enjaydesigns.co.uk

Heat 02: Chessell, Mullins, Burnett, 5-1, 7-5, A

Line Up: Rikki Mullins, Luke Chessell, Paul Burnett, Ryan Blacklock

Comments: Chessell away well, with Mullins and Blacklock having a good scrap for 2nd place, before Burnett falls entering 3rd bend. Blacklock then repeats the trick the next time round, meaning the I.o.W. are almost 3/4 of a lap ahead, before Blacklock falls again and the ref awards the race, could be a long night for Buxton's reserves . . . . . .

Sponsored by Steve Dixon www.stevedixonphotography.co.uk

Heat 03: Warwick, Priest, Smith, Taylor, 4-2, 11-7, 71.5

Line Up: Danny Warwick, Rob Smith, Luke Priest, Ben Taylor

Comments: Priest tried to jump the tapes, but screwed himself up to allow the I.o.W. into a 5-1 lead. Taylor pushed hard for the 1st lap, then Priest took over, going past Smith on 4th bend, but Warwick was too far ahead to be bothered.

Sponsored by

Heat 04: Branford, Starke, Chessell, Blacklock, 3-3, 14-10, 70.6

Line Up: Paul Starke, Luke Chessell, Robert Branford, Ryan Blacklock

Comments: Chessell away well again, but he held up Starke a little, letting Branford hit the front, and pull clear. No threat from Blacklock at the back though, Starke round Chessell on 2nd lap, otherwise from gate.

Sponsored by Friends of Edinburgh Speedway http://www.foes.info/

Rob Smith withdrawn from the meeting.

Heat 05: Allott, Warwick, Felton, Mullins Ret, 2-4, 16-14, 69.8

Line Up: Danny Warwick, Rob Smith Rikki Mullins, Adam Allott, Dean Felton

Comments: Rikki Mullins in for Rob Smith.

Allott absolutely flew from the tapes, with the Islanders tucked up in 2nd and 3rd, before Mullins falls on 1st bend, lap 3. Warwick chased hard, but Allott was gone.

Sponsored by Splod

Heat 06: Simmons, Branford, Cottham, Burnett, 4-2, 20-16, 71.7

Line Up: Nick Simmons, Gary Cottham, Robert Branford, Paul Burnett

Comments: Trouble with Burnetts helmet cover, but it's his teamate Branford that gates to lead, again the I.o.W filling the scoring positions. Simmons sets after him though, and pulls off a trademark pass around the outside of bends 3 and 4 to lead. Burnett, minus his yellow helmet, well last.

Simmons punctured over the line, and has a long walk/stumble back to pits!

Sponsored by

Heat 07: Priest, Starke, Taylor, Mullins, 2-4, 22-20, 71.5

Line Up: Paul Starke, Rikki Mullins, Luke Priest, Ben Taylor

Comments: Buxton gate into the lead, Starke working the inside line to try and pass Taylor, then switches to a great outside pass on 1st bend, lap 3. Then goes after Priest, and would've got him with 1 more lap.

Sponsored by Merlin

Heat 08: Cottham, Chessell, Felton, Blacklock Ret, 5-1, 27-21, 73.5

Line Up: Gary Cottham, Luke Chessell, Dean Felton, Ryan Blacklock

Comments: The I.o.W. make s superb start, but Cottham in 2nd is under pressure from Felton for 2nd place, before Blacklock stacks it on the 4th bend. Felton having trouble turning left going into the 4th bend, before Cottham passes Chessell on 3rd bend, almost causing a collision between the 2!

Sponsored by

Time for some tractor racing!

Heat 09: Warwick, Branford, Burnett, 3-3, 30-24, 70.4

Line Up: Danny Warwick, Rob Smith Luke Chessell, Robert Branford, Paul Burnett

Comments:Chessell in for Smith.

Even break, Warwick has the drive on the outside tho, before Burnett sticks it up the inisde of Chessell, who fights back on the next band, only to fall off in a heap and retire. Gift of a point to Burnett, who is in a different postcode.

Sponsored by inthedirt clothing - inthedirt.co.uk - facebook.com/inthedirt

Heat 10: Simmons, Priest, Cottham, Taylor, 4-2, 34-26, 70.8

Line Up: Nick Simmons, Gary Cottham, Luke Priest, Ben Taylor

Comments: Priest gates, but Cottham clamps Taylor on the line, before Simmons pulls a huge locker on the outside, his front wheel at 90 degrees to his frame, but holds on, before setting after first his teamate, then Taylor, then Priest on the 4th bend, lap 3 for a memorable win. Cottham did well to hold off Taylor for 3rd, great race.

Sponsored by

Heat 11: Starke, Allott, Felton, Mullins, 3-3, 37-29, 71.1

Line Up: Paul Starke, Rikki Mullins, Adam Allott, Dean Felton

Comments: Starke gates on inside, with Felton doing likewise on the outside, but is Starke who pulls away. Allott soon into 2nd place though, challenging Starke all the way to the line. Mullins not too far away from 3rd place.

Sponsored by

Heat 12: Priest, Warwick, Chessell, Burnett, 3-3, 40-32, 72.4

Line Up: Danny Warwick, Luke Chessell, Luke Priest, Paul Burnett

Comments: Rough and tumble at the tapes, and the I.o.W riders collide, allowing Priest to go clear, but Warwick is soon harrassing him, almost getting round him on 4th bend, before falling away in last lap. Chessell keeps Burnett at bay at the back.

Sponsored by

Interval Break.

Heat 13: Starke, Allot, Simmons, Branford, 4-2, 44-34, 69.9

Line Up: Nick Simmons, Paul Starke, Adam Allott, Robert Branford

Comments: Buxton gate and clamp Simmons on inside, but that allows Starke to blast around the outside to lead. Simmons then rounds Branford for 3rd place, and after trying inside and out, has to settle for 3rd place, another good race.

Sponsored by Art and Stitch for all your sewing and art supplies www.artandstitch.co.uk

Heat 14: TAYLOR, Chessell, Mullins, Burnett, 3-6, 47-40, 72.3

Line Up: Rob Smith Luke Chessell, Rikki Mullins, BEN TAYLOR, Ryan Blacklock Paul Burnett

Comments:Chessell in for Smith. Taylor on a TR. Burnett in for Blacklock.

Chessell into the lead, with the B/W helmeted Taylor behind him, who then sweeps past on the 4th bend for a paid 6 pt win! Chessell and Mullins keeping Burnett at the back though, so not too much damage!

Sponsored by Splod

Heat 15: Allott, Starke, Priest, 2-4, 49-44, 69.4

Line-up: Paul Starke, Nick Simmons, Adam Allott, Luke Priest

Comments: Buxton take gates 1&3.

Allot and Simmons away really well, and almost touch down back straight, which might of put Simmons off as he slid out of the race on the 3rd bend, gets up and clears the track ok, but is furious with himself, kicking lumps out of it! From tapes.

Sponsored by www.unofficialscorpion.co.uk - The History of Scunthorpe Speedway

Comments:

Teams confirmed.

Update 7.48pm: Slight delay waiting while the sun goes down.

Thanks to Rusty for the updates & everyone for watching!

© 2005-2011 All meetings are copyrighted to Speedway Updates, permission must be sought and we must be fully credited before they are used elsewhere.

Good win for IOW & Buxton have got to be pleased nicking a point.

Great to see Starke & Warwick in amongst the points for the Islanders & Priest & Allott for the Hitmen.

I would like to thank all at I O W for a very friendly welcome and a enjoyable nights racing.And well done to the Hitmen for snatching a league point.We may sett a record for scoring more league points away from home than at home,this season. :rolleyes:

Edited by rider slider

Well done IOW and Danny and Adam. :)