British Speedway Forum

So Oliver's signed for Workington that lasted a long time. Back to square one for the team at home on monday probably will need a guest for Irving and also use R/R, I just hope they dont choose to use Byron since he is there with Edinburgh already.

Also Birks is nursing a dislocated shoulder from last sunday. Gonna be a patched up team for sure.

Edited by Superstar1

Not sure what sort of answer you want from me. As for "those terrible Australian types" ( not how I have ever described them ) I actually remember Oliver riding against the Scorpions in the C/L when he rode for Boston. I have posted several times and referred to Australian riders being used when its at the expence of british youngsters. Sorry if you object but as a paying fan I long to see british riders of the Caliber Of Peter Collins again... We will only reap any benefits from giving our young brits the chance and help they deserve. By the way Rob Godfrey does just that!!

Thought it was a simple question June - JLo is a 24 year old Aussie - Rob Godfrey should have googled it first if young Brits is all that he believes in :party: If he has then by default in your eyes he is as bad as everybody else.

Either that or you, Montie, Godfrey et al just stick your hands up and concede a) there is not the quantity / quality of young Brits at this moment in time of the right standard b)Concede that actually some lads from foriegn climes add value to the NL, brings in the paying public and keeps it alive c) Quit the knocking of other clubs for promoting the NL as an attractive entrance level to the sport - without looking at it, which team has the lowest ave age?.

Aside from that, Jealous? not a bit of it, a great signing for Scunny which will probably win the League for you with a mainly Brit team and young riders that you have shown faith in. Good luck to you - just think in future before you get on your soapboxes. Oh, by the way Patriality or non-patriality makes no difference - if theyt aren't going to ride for Team GB it means Jacks.

Kev

Edited by norwichkev

With Oliver though,he is going in at the top end of the team,where there is not option at the moment,where as mildenhall have introduced riders into the reserve position,a position we should be using for young brits

At stoke we have young Reade as an example,not a ringer on a 3 average,

Kev. As you singled me out in your last post I will answer, but quite frankly this discussion goes round in circles. We had a lengthy thread on it last year. I am not racist, I do not mind foreigners in our leagues, I always support the ones in the Scunny teams. As Ive said numerous times I am a paying fan, nothing to do with the club or running of it. What I say or think is purely from genuine interest in the sport. Its only my opinion, which I know differs to some other fans. Yes I agree at the mo there probably are not enough british riders to fill spots in the NL but just ask yourself why! Our youngsters appear then disappear. because not enough is being done to help them onto the ladder. As to whos fault that is I have no clue. I remember in the CL league days there used to be a very lengthy list of riders names and grades. Seemed then to be loads of riders. Where are they now? Had some of them been helped with sponsership training etc. british speedway may look to have a brigter future. I'm sorry Kev but the one thing I do believe is that the NL has to be a breeding league for the prem otherwise we may just as well forget BRITISH in the sport of speedway. Dont forget this is only MY opinion!

Thought it was a simple question June - JLo is a 24 year old Aussie - Rob Godfrey should have googled it first if young Brits is all that he believes in :party: If he has then by default in your eyes he is as bad as everybody else

Kev

Bad as everybody else?? i seem to think we have put Adam Kirby in at reserve on Sunday. We had to replace a rider with an 8.4 average in Paul Cooper,now there just isnt that kind of riders out there,and there wont be unless the likes of Kirby are given the chance

Also,with the saints being victims of there own success,if we hadnt signed Oliver,there wouldnt be any meeting this weekend as in the NL you can only have guest for the NO.1,not anyone else,Oliver also goes straight into the team,no problem,not a one month wait for clearance and is over 17,so all is well

Now Kev,it obvious you and your buddys down there have issues with our club,we all read the pathetic comments you all made on the SMS FENTIGERS facebook page pre season on how RG stuffed you up and prevented a certain take over!!!!!!get real

Oliver is eligble to ride,and now is riding on Monday against you,sounds good to me,maybe you can get Taylor Poole in like before with his British parents[oops,sorry,once he left mildenhall for Stoke he didnt have any did he,hence his 5 point starting average]

Didnt Ed Kennet get banned for cheating?????

Any New on Ash? Montie? Hows his shoulder?

Good to go as far as i know?? Stefan fit???

Bad as everybody else?? i seem to think we have put Adam Kirby in at reserve on Sunday. We had to replace a rider with an 8.4 average in Paul Cooper,now there just isnt that kind of riders out there,and there wont be unless the likes of Kirby are given the chance

Also,with the saints being victims of there own success,if we hadnt signed Oliver,there wouldnt be any meeting this weekend as in the NL you can only have guest for the NO.1,not anyone else,Oliver also goes straight into the team,no problem,not a one month wait for clearance and is over 17,so all is well

Now Kev,it obvious you and your buddys down there have issues with our club,we all read the pathetic comments you all made on the SMS FENTIGERS facebook page pre season on how RG stuffed you up and prevented a certain take over!!!!!!get real

Oliver is eligble to ride,and now is riding on Monday against you,sounds good to me,maybe you can get Taylor Poole in like before with his British parents[oops,sorry,once he left mildenhall for Stoke he didnt have any did he,hence his 5 point starting average]

Didnt Ed Kennet get banned for cheating?????

Question for you Montie. Cooper has only ridden 5 meetings this season - have you only just re-declared from this? If not then why could you not use r/r for Cooper? Adam Kirby is a good lad, but is he ready at this level? We tried Adam Portwood as did Dudley - both riders could have a future - if Scunny are that sure why are you not using Adam on the Monday? To push the young Brits as you say you could do that and fit in Stefan to give him the experience surely as you will be in the Top 4 anyway. Like I said mate a little bit of honesty as to what goes on goes a long way.

Like I said JLo is quality and a good signing, but he ain't British. Just be honest and say that actually Aussie's ain't too bad and we want to win the league - you can sell your soapbox then.

Me personally, never involved in whatever went on with Facebook etc, heard the rumours at the time but RG has his own business to run and his own interests. He knows what went on as I suspect you do, but whatever the truth it is commercial. Scunny have a good set up, and I suspect that you will find Mildy following a similar route with the new management team and their focus on training etc which is great for young Brits - can't think of a more experienced back up team in Speedway let alone NL - BTW the funding for this must surely be driven by the gate revenues which this season Camo has been a kep player in driving up.

Taylor a breath of fresh air, as was Dakota & now Camo. Like I have said before Patriality / Non makes zero difference if the are not going to ride for Team GB. Many have made the point that we cannot stop the Pat's so therefore widen up and allow 1 per team of either. All 3 have added colour, Todd Kurtz was supern on the IOW Tuesday night and kept the meeting alive - think of the alternative - as an e.g either Adam's or a host of others against the likes of the Lambert's, Wrathalls, Evans, Armstrongs will not provide entertainment at this stage of their career BUT they can learn from the likes of Camo.

As to the last point, did Ed get banned for cheating? as far as I understood it could not be proved that he knew what was going on. I think you would struggle to find a promoter EVEN Saint Rob who has not bent the odd rule now and again.

Kev

Kev. As you singled me out in your last post I will answer, but quite frankly this discussion goes round in circles. We had a lengthy thread on it last year. I am not racist, I do not mind foreigners in our leagues, I always support the ones in the Scunny teams. As Ive said numerous times I am a paying fan, nothing to do with the club or running of it. What I say or think is purely from genuine interest in the sport. Its only my opinion, which I know differs to some other fans. Yes I agree at the mo there probably are not enough british riders to fill spots in the NL but just ask yourself why! Our youngsters appear then disappear. because not enough is being done to help them onto the ladder. As to whos fault that is I have no clue. I remember in the CL league days there used to be a very lengthy list of riders names and grades. Seemed then to be loads of riders. Where are they now? Had some of them been helped with sponsership training etc. british speedway may look to have a brigter future. I'm sorry Kev but the one thing I do believe is that the NL has to be a breeding league for the prem otherwise we may just as well forget BRITISH in the sport of speedway. Dont forget this is only MY opinion!

June, not singled out I included you as those who had an interest in the subject. Most of you points covered in the response to Montie above. Forget racism this is not a PC thread. Totally agree on breeding ground for the Prem - but that is where it falls down, look at the riders still in NL, how many moved up last year? Solve the sport from top down, not bottom up - even in football there are now quota's to bring on new youngsters - and it's started in the Premiership not at the bottom - only way to ensure upwards movement.

Embrace the likes of John Oliver, a good rider who will do you well, the better you do the bigger the gates the more revenue to invest in training etc.

Kev

Looks like Scunthorpe have signed Benji Compton to replace the unfortunate John Oliver.

Should be a decent second string, I'd imagine.

Looks like Scunthorpe have signed Benji Compton to replace the unfortunate John Oliver.

Should be a decent second string, I'd imagine.

I can't help thinking that it weakens them. Given that R/R for John meant that Birks, Irving and the Worrals could all take a ride (When they put their full team out)...will Benji really score the 7 or 8 minimum that you would expect from those 4?

IIRC, Oliver was 5th in the averages, so it was only really R Worrall, (Smethills if not at reserve) and the reserves who were eligible to take on an extra ride.

Besides, strengthened or weakened, R/R should only be a last resort at this level.

I don't know how much Compton has ridden lately, so he may well be a bit rusty, but from what I remember, he was a capable rider on his day.