British Speedway Forum

Interesting to see who is the Wildcard for Cardiff then, how about Davey Watt? He's good enough to go in our GP according to others on here, why not put him in yours. Or can you name someone better?

Living and paying taxes in Aussie

i would be happy to see davey watt as the wild card in cardiff if he is the next in line , i dont think bjarne pedersen is going to do much for the GP but he is there on merit , he has earned that right , if we are going to go down the route of putting riders in to pull the crowd then put jason garrity in at cardiff , the other 15 riders would be a lot more scared of him than he would be of them :lol:

Edited by THE DEAN MACHINE
  • Like 1

Alot of the riders in Motogp and the drivers in F1 are there because of the money they bring to the teams and not on merit.

I'm not familiar enough with MotoGP, but you can't drive in F1 without a Super Licence and that requires you to be a successful driver at a high level of competition.

Regardless though, speedway never has been the same as F1, and regardless of whether the top 16 actually are or aren't in the SGP, the 'selling' of places lacks credibility.

Regardless though, speedway never has been the same as F1, and regardless of whether the top 16 actually are or aren't in the SGP, the 'selling' of places lacks credibility.

I really can't see the problem.The wild card is there for a number of reasons and speedway exists in a financial world as do all sports.Look at the reason a number of football world cups have been or will be held in countries witout a great footballing tradition.Look at where F1 has ended up over the past decade.And look at riders that have been given a wild card over the past few years.Mikkel B for instance last season.So many on here saying "who?" or putting him down.He certainly wasn't in the top 5 Danish riders not permanently in the GPs.Look at some of the Czech riders lately.The wild card isn't going to be up there challenging for the championship at the end of the season.If this is who the promoter thinks will be the best bet to help him then we should accept it.It is him after all that is taking the risks and hopefully he knows what he is doing and trying to achieve

The wild card is there for a number of reasons and speedway exists in a financial world as do all sports.

I don't fundamentally have a problem with one wildcard per GP to guarantee a home rider if they're of sufficient quality. What is unpalatable to me is the selling of nominated places; either through outright cash transactions, or through the hosting of GPs and the associated licence fees.

Yes, I understand the commercial reasons, but the SGP ceases to have any interest or meaning for me when it becomes just another financial commodity.

Laguta wore a Russian race jacket in his wild card at the Latvian gp. I believe he was denied citizenship to Latvia, and there is a lot of red tape in that area as many Russians are applying due to Latvia being in the EU. He was Latvian national champion as they opened up their national competition to gain a more competitive field and to he develop the Latvian riders to a higher pace.

Same as what has happened with the new Zealand championship in effect.

Rune Holta is a completely different issue... He rides as a polish national as he has citizenship and passport.

Just because you have a countries race licence doesn't entitle you to represent that country...many riders who come over to the uk will take out a Acu licence.

Laguta wore a Russian race jacket in his wild card at the Latvian gp. I believe he was denied citizenship to Latvia, and there is a lot of red tape in that area as many Russians are applying due to Latvia being in the EU.

Latvia has a very high percentage of ethnic Russians, nearly 50% of the population I think. However, although most have lived there for two or three generations, Latvia refuses to grant citizenship unless they can speak Latvian, so they're effectively stateless.

Daugavpils is where many of the 'Russians' live, although I'm not sure whether is actually a Russian Russian or a Latvian Russian.

Laguta wore a Russian race jacket in his wild card at the Latvian gp. I believe he was denied citizenship to Latvia, and there is a lot of red tape in that area as many Russians are applying due to Latvia being in the EU. He was Latvian national champion as they opened up their national competition to gain a more competitive field and to he develop the Latvian riders to a higher pace.

Same as what has happened with the new Zealand championship in effect.

Rune Holta is a completely different issue... He rides as a polish national as he has citizenship and passport.

Just because you have a countries race licence doesn't entitle you to represent that country...many riders who come over to the uk will take out a Acu licence.

Any rider on an ACU license would wear the colours of Great Britain in any individual World Championship round he was in. Great Britain is affiliated to the FIM via the ACU. Many riders in the past have sought alternative (easier) means of qualifying and taken out, or considered taking out a license from another country, Gordon Kennet, by virtue of a Danish wife considered the option in the seventies.

If you have a countries racing license, not only does it entitle you to wear those colours in the GP, it obliges yo to do so. Of course the World Cup is different, only passport holders can represent a given country

Yes.And i think there is a fairly well known tale of Simon Wigg using a Dutch licence and wearing a Dutch race jacket in world championship longtrack,but he didn't want them to play the Netherlands national anthem when he won.Marvyn Cox rode as a German at one stage

Any rider on an ACU license would wear the colours of Great Britain in any individual World Championship round he was in. Great Britain is affiliated to the FIM via the ACU. Many riders in the past have sought alternative (easier) means of qualifying and taken out, or considered taking out a license from another country, Gordon Kennet, by virtue of a Danish wife considered the option in the seventies.

Jason Bunyan become a Belgian in 2001 to allow him to do the GP qualifiers. Seems he'll sell himself out where ever he has to so he can ride World Championship speedway. Edited by SCB

Jason Bunyan become a Belgian in 2001 to allow him to do the GP qualifiers. Seems he'll sell himself out where ever he has to so he can ride World Championship speedway.

Dont know why but this post made me think of Stuart Hall commentating on 'Its a knockout'....and here comes Jason Bunyan for the Belgians on a joker ! :rofl:

when you ride in the individual World Championship you ride for yourself not your country

• Like 1

i think this move using him is a joke it makes the series look tinpot and that its being done as a financial matter .with due respect this is a pl number 7 lining up in a gp if the series cant afford to have top quality wild card and reserves there then dont run it there,you cant just put a rider in it cause he wins a weak national title every year,you need wild cards in it that are in the mix every race

when you ride in the individual World Championship you ride for yourself not your country

So why not have an Australian as the wildcard then?

Cos the Kiwi's hate the Ozzies more than the Scots hate the English.

And who can blame them?