British Speedway Forum

THERE are lots of people willing to try so let's not knock their enthusiasm. And, judging by the teenagers I listened to talking to Jason Crump and Chris Holder, the determination is there.

Of course it will be a mammoth job finding another Moore, Briggs or Mauger. That will probably never happen but, who knows, sometimes a genie pops out of the bottle. And Britain's record in unearthing another Craven, Collins or Lee hasn't been too hot either.

It's a start, nothing more, but at least those trying to rekindle interest in speedway in NZ now have a showcase event to illustrate just what it is all about.

THERE are lots of people willing to try so let's not knock their enthusiasm. And, judging by the teenagers I listened to talking to Jason Crump and Chris Holder, the determination is there.

Of course it will be a mammoth job finding another Moore, Briggs or Mauger. That will probably never happen but, who knows, sometimes a genie pops out of the bottle. And Britain's record in unearthing another Craven, Collins or Lee hasn't been too hot either.

It's a start, nothing more, but at least those trying to rekindle interest in speedway in NZ now have a showcase event to illustrate just what it is all about.

Good luck to everyone trying to rekindle the domestic New Zealand speedway scene. It's a mamoth task when compared to challenging the current small oval car scene there. It would be great to one day see speedway in New Zealand back on a healthy footing - maybe even with a revival of the once flourishing speedway league scene when the teams used to import overseas riders. And some very big UK names were involved in those days.

• Like 1

Thanks Kiwi for putting up the times, Cuz! Not bad times for a quarter-mile oval.

Some very good juniors coming through in UnZud, and the ones I know of have a game plan all sorted and plenty of support - look for a few to pop up in the UK in the next two or three years.

I saw you there Dave when you were walking through the pits, I was just getting all the riders signatures for their completed bike checks and I was going to comeback and say hi. You must've turned sideways as I lost you after that.

First junior will be there in June

• Like 1

Good luck to everyone trying to rekindle the domestic New Zealand speedway scene. It's a mamoth task when compared to challenging the current small oval car scene there. It would be great to one day see speedway in New Zealand back on a healthy footing - maybe even with a revival of the once flourishing speedway league scene when the teams used to import overseas riders. And some very big UK names were involved in those days.

Despite our proud speedway heritage, I'm not sure its ever been as big here as our success would indicate -as an example, only Ivan Mauger of our riders has won the Nz sportsperson of the year (77+79). And of course, to make it big, riders today (as with Mauger, Briggs and Moore) will have to head over to Europe to do so. In the late 80s when I returned to NZ, even though the likes of Shirra and Barge were still competing successfully in the UK, speedway hardly got a mention.

Hopefully this GP will start to change that, realistically it's always going to be a minor sport, but a GP wildcard is the start of things to realistically aspire to for Kiwi riders.

The attendance for the New Zealand Grand Prix according to this week's 'Speedway Star' given by Phil Rising on page 35 was "Around 15,000". Not as many as we were originally being led to believe when 20,000 and 25,000 were being given but very good for what is essentially a non-speedway bike minded sporting public.

an article from nz herald late last week - Bill Buckley a fair whack out of pocket. tbh, auckland council and Nz govt should front up with some cash in my view. There must be say 1000 overseas visitors for the event - get the govt to chip in say $200 for each of those, which must be a very cheap investment compared to gain to economy - thats $200k. then get Auckland council to chip in $100 for each visitor to Auckland for the event - again cheap compared to benefits to hospitality, hotels etc. - thats another $500k, which should see Bill break even, and maybe even make a bit if the corwd is bigger next year (which, weather permitting, I think it will be). http://www.nzherald.co.nz/sport/news/article.cfm?c_id=4&objectid=10797238

Has an official attendance been confirmed anywhere?

Edited by waihekeaces1

CONCUR with everything you say waikekeaces! but with Buckley Systems Inc. heavily involved no doubt Bill has a half decent accountant working on ways to legally mitigate some of the losses.

Spoke to Larry Ross in Christchurch over the weekend and he says many people there, who resisted the temptation to go last month - fearing that the sprint car track couldn't be transformed - are already talking about going in 2013.

Attendance was 15,000, give or take one or two.

tbh, auckland council and Nz govt should front up with some cash in my view. There must be say 1000 overseas visitors for the event - get the govt to chip in say $200 for each of those, which must be a very cheap investment compared to gain to economy - thats $200k. then get Auckland council to chip in $100 for each visitor to Auckland for the event - again cheap compared to benefits to hospitality, hotels etc. - thats another $500k, which should see Bill break even, and maybe even make a bit if the corwd is bigger next year (which, weather permitting, I think it will be).

The Cardiff GP (which is the IMG showcase event) is subsidised by the Welsh government to the tune of approximately GBP 170K per GP (assuming it meets certain targets). This is about GBP 4.25 (or NZD 8.30) per head, so to expect an even bigger subsidy from either the New Zealand government or Auckland council would seem optimistic.

The Cardiff GP (which is the IMG showcase event) is subsidised by the Welsh government to the tune of approximately GBP 170K per GP (assuming it meets certain targets). This is about GBP 4.25 (or NZD 8.30) per head, so to expect an even bigger subsidy from either the New Zealand government or Auckland council would seem optimistic.

It almost certanly is too optimistic, though at the same time getting a visitor from overseas to NZ has got to be worth much more than $200 to the government in terms of revenue.

NZ is quite a different scenario to Wales. Because of the distance, I would assume most overseas visitors would stay for at least a week (perhaps just a long weekend for those comping from Aussie) - whereas in Wales, I'd imagine a lot of people would arrive and leave on the same day, or at most stay 1/2 nights - thereby spending alot more money.

It almost certanly is too optimistic, though at the same time getting a visitor from overseas to NZ has got to be worth much more than $200 to the government in terms of revenue.

NZ is quite a different scenario to Wales. Because of the distance, I would assume most overseas visitors would stay for at least a week (perhaps just a long weekend for those comping from Aussie) - whereas in Wales, I'd imagine a lot of people would arrive and leave on the same day, or at most stay 1/2 nights - thereby spending alot more money.

A lot of us made it a long weekend but I know of several who stayed for up to two weeks, hiring cars or campervans to tour the North Island. By the time you take into account accommodation, taxis, meals, liquid refreshments plus 'entertainment' expenses I'm sure each O/S visitor would have spent $1500-$2000 plus - a nice boost to the economy.

A lot of us made it a long weekend but I know of several who stayed for up to two weeks, hiring cars or campervans to tour the North Island. By the time you take into account accommodation, taxis, meals, liquid refreshments plus 'entertainment' expenses I'm sure each O/S visitor would have spent $1500-$2000 plus - a nice boost to the economy.

To right we did spend a few bucks Dave and all being well we will be back to join you all next year for a few sherberts down at the QF Tavern
  • Like 1

an article from nz herald late last week - Bill Buckley a fair whack out of pocket. tbh, auckland council and Nz govt should front up with some cash in my view. There must be say 1000 overseas visitors for the event - get the govt to chip in say $200 for each of those, which must be a very cheap investment compared to gain to economy - thats $200k. then get Auckland council to chip in $100 for each visitor to Auckland for the event - again cheap compared to benefits to hospitality, hotels etc. - thats another $500k, which should see Bill break even, and maybe even make a bit if the corwd is bigger next year (which, weather permitting, I think it will be). http://www.nzherald....8;objectid=10797238

Has an official attendance been confirmed anywhere?

Over the past two weeks when attendances are quoted 'Speedway Star' gives a 15,000 gate for the NZGP.