British Speedway Forum

I am baffled why a Speedway GP is taking place in Auckland. It is not a speedway-bike minded country any more. There are three main centres from what I can see = Rosebank, Moore Park and Oreti Park - and they do not run on a weekly basis. The only other tracks that sometimes (and rarely) that stage speedway bikes as support to car races are at Palmerston North and Kihikihi.

Contrary to this, I estimate there must be between 25 and 30 venues staging various car race formulas through from midgets and sprint cars to big 240ci stock cars.

On the other hand sidecars are featured regularly at tracks where there are no solo races, Gisborne is one such track that springs tp mind but they also dominate at those tracks classified as main speedway centres.

The fact that the Speedway GP had to play second fiddle to the cars at Western Springs - after their season had ended - shows where New Zealand priorities lie. I will concede, however, that the delay between cars and the GP at Western Springs was to adapt the track for the one-off bike venture.

I have no doubt that a big crowd will be there - many of them not speedway fans - but merely out for a festive day as they would be for a big pop concert. A few may like the calibre of racing they see at the GP and be tempted to then go to an all-kiwi speedway. They will then have a cultural shock - rather like one would if enticed to football after a Real Madrid-Barcelnoa clash, then going to see a Blue Square South or similar fixture.

But in my opinion hopes that the GP will rekindle New Zealand bike speedway just is not going to happen.

JACK KEEN,

ERITH, KENT

This is the best analysis so far of the New Zealand speedway/car scene. There will be a good crowd at the GP in March but it will not spark a revival for the bikes down under any more than Greg Hancock's GP success has sparked a massive USA speedway bikes revival. The event will attract the curious looking for a day out but is unlikely to turn them into the speedway faithful.

Many people will be there with no idea of what speedway is - no background knowledge which is essential - and soon look for another big attraction for a day out - like a pop concert with performing names that are known worldwide.

To many New Zealanders going to the GP out of curiosity the riders names mean nothing - added to the fact there is no "home town" contender for the event.

To many New Zealanders going to the GP out of curiosity the riders names mean nothing - added to the fact there is no "home town" contender for the event.

What makes you say there will be no "home town" contender?

What about the wildcard?

• Like 1

I see another 'informed' self-appointed expert has predicted doom & gloom. I take it you won't be attending, Kennylane?

Good to see another true fan will be travelling from six-fingered territory to the Land of the Wrong White Crowd - looking forward to catching up, Haza!

What about the wildcard?

And who does New Zealand have of the grade to be a wild card? But I suppose that as the competition directs it there will be one.

I see another 'informed' self-appointed expert has predicted doom & gloom. I take it you won't be attending, Kennylane?

Too true mate!

With the improved TV coverage of the GPs and Elite League now available expect to see an upsurge in Kiwis good enough to make it abroad. Keep the name Hayden Sims in your mind for a couple of years down the track.

Would love to be proved wrong, but there isn't any coverage of the Elite league on TV in NZ. GPs and World Cup are shown (highlights), but often months after the event. Otherwise us kiwis are reliant on t'internet.

That's why I was so surprised that the GP did come to fruition, I would have thought there would have been better coverage of the GP on Sky last year to help drum up interest.

What about the wildcard?

I'd assumed that this would be given to an Aussie (Troy Batchelor?) or a Brit wintering down under. Is there any word on who this is likely to be?

this article seems to suggest that while NZ are entitled to a wildcard, this may not be given to a kiwi if there is none good enough (likely to be the case?)

http://www.nzherald.co.nz/motorsport/news/article.cfm?c_id=66&objectid=10770641

Why all the worry about the wildcard.

When Italy run their GP there is no talk of there's no rider good enough.

Our Wildcard will be better than theirs

Is Mirac coming out of retirement then?

um, not sure how Italian Matej Zagar is?

Anyway, I really hope there is a kiwi wildcard, but not convinced that that will be the case

Would love to be proved wrong, but there isn't any coverage of the Elite league on TV in NZ. GPs and World Cup are shown (highlights), but often months after the event. Otherwise us kiwis are reliant on t'internet.

Start lobbying your cable provider to get SPEED Channel - took us Hicks in Rural Australia about six months of concentrated effort to get what the big cities get.

Is Mirac coming out of retirement then?

No but Larry Ross is

Start lobbying your cable provider to get SPEED Channel - took us Hicks in Rural Australia about six months of concentrated effort to get what the big cities get.

there's only Sky in NZ, and as a monopoly they pretty much can show what they want...will be intresting to see how much of a time delay there is between NZ GP and it being broadcast

No but Larry Ross is

that would be the perfect scenario!!!

there's only Sky in NZ, and as a monopoly they pretty much can show what they want...will be intresting to see how much of a time delay there is between NZ GP and it being broadcast

No but Larry Ross is

No but Larry Ross is

Forgot to mention that as Briggo has been riding the Ice Bike recently, despite a broken Ankle, he'll be 1st reserve... then a match race between Ivan & Ronnie to determine 2nd reserve for the meeting.... :wink: