British Speedway Forum
Ben91

Rye House 2012

Yes Rockets ,, Len seems to have a love affair with his journey men Richie and Luke .He is totally banking on the wild riders Nelson,Bunyan and Garrity to produce big scores...Bunyan and Garrity riding together may well be an excitment that wont last to long if they tangle.....?

Does anyone know any fixtures for this year other than Ippo on 15 & 17th March? And any idea when full fix list will be available?

Can't agree more Hawkins is the weak link in the team.how does the saying go buy cheap get cheap that's exactly what Len has done with Hawkins.

I dont think Hawkins is a bad rider, but he takes a long time to get going in a meeting.,is nearly always last away from the start in his first ride ,this could be nerves,,,if he could start with more confidence there would be a marked improvement in his scores in my opinion...

Edited by waco

What I don't understand Waco is:

1. Ritchie is a professional sportsman. If he has problems with the track, his set up or starting would nt you spend the winter with guys like Chris neath to get these things right? and

2. if you have a continuing ambition would you sign for a second season at a track you dont get on with?

I know team places are at a premium but surely Ritchie is better off elsewhere.

I believe Richie really likes being at Rye.. and is a really nice guy ,,..Nerves is something many sportsmen suffer from ...I think Lee Strudwick has a simular problem in his first ride, then settles down as the meeting progresses,this is something they have to sort out themselves,, you will find many more examples of this if you look for it,,watching these riders reguarly you build up a pattern,,Richies bikes seemed faster in the last few meetings also.,so if his engine is better ,so will his confidence improve ,so lets hope he can build on that this season. Im not saying hes a Jason Doyle, But i think we will see a better rider this year.....These observations are only my personal opinion The riders themselves and others, may not agree..

its easy to see where everyone is coming from on this one. To have a Doyle standard rider instead of Hawkins seems like a no brainer. However what are the financial implications of that? would the team be stronger with Doyle instead of Hawkins?......Yes. Would Doyle in the team instead of Hawkins put an extra 200 on the gate for home meetings?......No. If the reasons behind it are not financial then I dont get it!!

You are so right Waco. With Doyle in place of Hawkins we would be favourites for the league.

I think you were fortunate to get Doyle last season, the Rebels wanted him but apparantly there was a snag over money,not sure though, and Jason found himself without a club,When Moose got injured the Rebels used Jason a couple of times and he was superb.The reason he went to Rye was probibly a case of nowhere else to go,it is well known that it isn`t one of his favourite venues,and the oppurtunity would not have arisen had Boxall not got "ahem injured".Doyle`s back as skipper this season so the chance of him ever going to Rye over Somerset is probibly a bit off the mark, and a Rye team with Doyle in it to be "favourites for the league" I suggest you look at the "2012 line ups" section of the BSF and think again.

and a Rye team with Doyle in it to be "favourites for the league" I suggest you look at the "2012 line ups" section of the BSF and think again.

A Rye team with Hawkins out and Doyle in, whilst not utter favourites, certainly would have been pushing for the League in my eyes...

I really don't get this Doyle / Hawkins stuff nor why it is still dragging on. Agree or not, Len always said that his agreement with Doyle was until Boxhall was fit. End of. When Boxall was fit Len was then able to track the 7 riders that he always intended to. Would I have kept Doyle - yes I would. But it was never going to happen so why get upset about it?. Its his club, his money so after all these years in speedway why shouldn't he populate his team with people he wants to work with? We all know where the door is if we don't like it. And those who want a 'modern' promoter, be careful what you wish for. Len's old school & good on him for that.

I don't know Len on a personal level at all, he wouldn't recognise me so I am not doing a Bryn with my tongue. But as a former Hackney (the real Hackney not last year's nonsense) supporter from the 1970's I have learned that Len keeps to his word & supports his riders if they are going through a bad patch. He is not a hire and fire merchant and I admire him for that at a human level. & I am happy to support a club that operates at that kind of an ethical level. Does that mean that a lack of ruthlessness impairs Rye's chances of winning things? Probably, but loyalty cuts both ways & I'm pretty sure that those who ride for him give their absolute best. I for one approve of that kind of integrity and loyalty. Is there a pay off to that? Well read the comments from anyone quoted in his book - people like Bo Petersen, Robbo,Tai Woffinden or as recently as Jason Bunyan in this week's Star "Joining Len Silver at Rye House was easy, he was the only Premier League promotor I wanted to ride for as I needed to get back riding for promoters who I can trust." On his average he will have had options for 2012 but he approached Len as others like Jordan Frampton have in the past.

From interviews in the Star it is clear that riders like Hawkins, Neath etc. would pretty much die in a ditch for Len & that is no accident.

As for the 2012 Rye House line up, of course it isn't going to win the league and if it were my choice I wouldn't track the exact same 7 riders. But looking at the line up I do expect to be entertained by that line up and I go to speedway to be entertained. It will be entertaining to watch how Nelson & Garrity progress. Jordan Frampton (well done to all the sages who said that he was leaving by the way) is a thrilling rider to watch (hmm. I wonder why he has stayed with Rye?), Bunyan is another thrill merchant, there is no reason why Chris Neath should not repeat last year's form, I really do think that Len's loyalty to Ritchie will be rewarded with more consistently higher scores (particularly early season) than 2011. Then there is Luke who is capable of beating any Premier League rider at home and there is the prospect of winning the sweepstake about how long it will be before he is injured..... :D .

Last season wasn't one that I remember with great pleasure but I am looking forward to March 2012.

Here endeth the lesson. You may now rip my post to shreds........

• Like 3

I really don't get this Doyle / Hawkins stuff nor why it is still dragging on. Agree or not, Len always said that his agreement with Doyle was until Boxhall was fit. End of. When Boxall was fit Len was then able to track the 7 riders that he always intended to. Would I have kept Doyle - yes I would. But it was never going to happen so why get upset about it?. Its his club, his money

The initial agreement was for Jason Doyle to race until Steve Boxall was fit, but was then told that a team place was his until the end of the season. Two weeks later he was released... In hindsight it was a terrible decision and that, coupled with his comments to the crowd when barracked, cost him a third of his attendances for the rest of the season. Whether they will return this year we'll have to wait and see!

I see on the BSPA site that the Olympic Committee have asked Len not to race during the Olympic Games as they are worried about their crowd levels :lol:

Len must be well connected as similar happened last year when Simon Cowell asked Rye to not go up against his X Factor programme. :D

Sod the millions that want to see the Olympics and X Factor, its cocking up my Saturday Evenings :drink:

I see on the BSPA site that the Olympic Committee have asked Len not to race during the Olympic Games as they are worried about their crowd levels :lol:

Len must be well connected as similar happened last year when Simon Cowell asked Rye to not go up against his X Factor programme. :D

Sod the millions that want to see the Olympics and X Factor, its cocking up my Saturday Evenings :drink:

Yep! Three Saturdays without a home meeting during the height of the summer. The first home meeting after the games will be Monday 13th August!

Edited by Shadders