British Speedway Forum
Ben91

Rye House 2012

If I knew why he did what he did to Berwick last year I could attempt an answer!

The storys been done a death many times... I fail to see what Gjedde would gain out of taking Rye House for a bunch of mugs. Len Silver has a super record of being a good promoter to work for, so it doesn't make sense.

The fact that Gjedde usually starts the season quite slow as Swindon and Reading fans will confirm may have more to do with it.

On a positive note, Mellgren has had a fine start to his Rye House career and Silver would be mad to let him go when/if Nelson returns.

I predict him to be a genuine heatleader come October.

I predict him to be a genuine heatleader come October.

Very impressed with Anders, nothing like what I was expecting... I thought we'd signed a 5 point reserve!

Didn't see his scores from number 2, 3 and 4 for the Wasps last year then? :lol:

Didn't see his scores from number 2, 3 and 4 for the Wasps last year then? :lol:

I'm not the best at keeping up with other sides scores/averages etc... :D

Well he averaged 6.5 in the main body of the team.... he is a fast improving rider who could be banging on the door of aa 7.5 average this season... he rides Rye very well too.

Edited by LewisP

Well he averaged 6.5 in the main body of the team.... he is a fast improving rider who could be banging on the door of aa 7.5 average this season... he rides Rye very well too.

11+1 last year from memory... Well impressed with him so far. My fear is that it'll be only for a short while.

Silver needs shooting if mellgren makes way and bowen/hawkins stay.

Silver needs shooting if mellgren makes way and bowen/hawkins stay.

He lost around a quarter of his weekly audience when Doyle left last year, the same could easily happen if Anders is let go.

Only someone like mr snackete would call signing gjedde a gamble!

Whilst I enjoy being a lone voice of reason, on this occassion there are appears to be quite a substantial body of opinion that backs that view.

I was very pleased that Ipswich didn't sign him, as in my view the risk / reward for someone on his average was a severe risk. I could easily be proved wrong, but I sense that some of the Rockets faithful are also expressing a concern.

Still, keep taking the tablets old son, and everything will be fine!!!!

Whilst I enjoy being a lone voice of reason, on this occassion there are appears to be quite a substantial body of opinion that backs that view.

I was very pleased that Ipswich didn't sign him, as in my view the risk / reward for someone on his average was a severe risk. I could easily be proved wrong, but I sense that some of the Rockets faithful are also expressing a concern.

Still, keep taking the tablets old son, and everything will be fine!!!!

I see no reason why he wont re-produce his Newport form for Rye, where he averaged near 10.5 from 30+ meetings and was the top PL rider in 2011. Banging in maximums home and away all the time.

Maybe he isn't in the mood at Rye, who knows? All I know is apart from a torrid spell at a club he clearly didn't get on with in Berwick, he was a class apart for Newport. And wasnt just a classy rider, his influence and encouragement in the pits was tremendous as well.

He was on a super deal at Newport last season, but was worth every penny spent I would suggest - he was a big influence in turning us from a bottom of the table team to a top 5 and KOC winning side.

The guy is a quality rider... maybe he is just having a slow start for Rye.

Class is perminate,,having said that Charlie is not getting out of the gate at the moment,,Im sure he will get that sorted and then we will see him fly round Rye ...If Len keeps Melgren after Nelson returns (if and when? ) We will have a strong side,,But will he repeat last season s major mistake ?

• Like 1

....He was on a super deal at Newport last season, but was worth every penny spent I would suggest....

But was it a deal that the Newport Promotion could really afford? Any here today, gone tomorrow promoter can sign a rider they can't really afford. Whatever criticisms that people may have of the likes of Uncle Len or JL, and I have had plenty in the past, they are still in business and operate within a sensible financial budgets.

We can only speculate, but perhaps the cost of The Cheese may at the end of the day be prohibitive in retaining the services of the likes of Mellgren.

But was it a deal that the Newport Promotion could really afford? Any here today, gone tomorrow promoter can sign a rider they can't really afford. Whatever criticisms that people may have of the likes of Uncle Len or JL, and I have had plenty in the past, they are still in business and operate within a sensible financial budgets.

We can only speculate, but perhaps the cost of The Cheese may at the end of the day be prohibitive in retaining the services of the likes of Mellgren.

Whilst he may of been expensive for Newport, he is most definately NOT the reason the club folded... it goes far deeper than that but lets not go into that on this thread.

Edited by LewisP

.....he is most definately the reason the club folded....

Which must be rather worrying for anybody that has signed him.

Which must be rather worrying for anybody that has signed him.

Meant to say NOT the reason the club folded... oops :lol: