British Speedway Forum
PhilK

Mildenhall V Stoke - Ko Cup Final 1st Leg

Simon lambert t boned jack hargreaves in heat 11 nasty crash bend 2 all 4 back, crowd booing lambert who reacted, fighting with supporters near pit fence.

maybe simon had read fen tigers facebook page where someone said make sure they take him out and thought he would get in first

Edited by gaylestew

Final score Mildenhall 51-43 Stoke.

Mildenhall will need to be on top form to defend eight points in the second leg.

Edited by neil3065

Disgraceful behaviour by some Mildenhall hooligans.

I know all clubs have some people like that, but Mildenhall always seem to have far more than most.

People like that need to be kicked out of the sport asap.

Great back against the wall performance by Stoke.

The injuries to Atkin and Nobes (Isherwood looked competitive too in the reserves heat before his bike conked out) obviously stretched them to the limit but to come out of the meeting with only an 8 point deficit is a great effort.

Special mention to Simon Lambert, who was immense. To compose himself after the mayhem after the first staging of heat 13 was quite an achievement. Sarjeant also looked good, and Pickard deserved more than his points tally.

Next weekend should be interesting!

maybe simon had read fen tigers facebook page where someone said make sure they take him out and thought he would get in first

Only just seen that stupid comment on the facebook page, sorry to say it was a so called mildenhall fan, I certainly don't condone that kind of attitude and I'm surprised the admin of the facebook page allow that post to remain on there, no genuine fan of speedway would wish any rider "taken out" I've seen enough crashes in my 40 years and certainly don't wish to see any more.

The referee and the hand signals from various Stoke riders didn't help the situation!

Had the referee done her job properly then the scenes after heat 13 wouldn't of been anywhere near as severe. - Simon Lambert unintentionally T boned Jack Hargreaves yet wasn't excluded - a very very poor decision.

Simon Lambert then uses some hand gesturing and arguing with fans on the way back to the pits. He should of kept quiet and be grateful he was allowed in the re-run when he shouldn't have done!

All said another great performance from Lambert at Mildenhall!

Edited by 25yearfan

Disgraceful behaviour by some Mildenhall hooligans.

I know all clubs have some people like that, but Mildenhall always seem to have far more than most.

People like that need to be kicked out of the sport asap.Great back against the wall performance by Stoke.

The injuries to Atkin and Nobes (Isherwood looked competitive too in the reserves heat before his bike conked out) obviously stretched them to the limit but to come out of the meeting with only an 8 point deficit is a great effort.

Special mention to Simon Lambert, who was immense. To compose himself after the mayhem after the first staging of heat 13 was quite an achievement. Sarjeant also looked good, and Pickard deserved more than his points tally.

Next weekend should be interesting!

Total overreaction Mr Mungo, you obviously have some big issues where Mildenhall are concerned!!

There were a couple of unsavoury scenes, although certain riders cetainly seemed to provoke what went on. The Mildenhall promotion were quick to make it clear that this sort of thing is not acceptable in the post match forum!

To say Mildenhall have more 'hooligans' is overdramatic and also incorrect and does an injustice to our club. I stood in the stand and some bloke had some issues with Simon Lambert which was no more than some shouting and posturing! Then something happened by the fence which calmed down prety quickly.

Don't get me wrong I dont condone any behaviour like this, but lets not get things out of proportion here.

It was a cracking cup final tie and both sides put on a great show for the supporters. I haven't heard of any riders complaining about the Mildenhall track, which has produced some excellent racing this season and today was no different.

Fast times, close racing and some excellent passes, none better than the two Mildenhall Man of the Match Daniel Halsey produced in heats 12 and 15 added up to a red blooded cup tie :approve:

Simon Lambert was excellent again although personally I thought he was lucky to get back in Heat 13.

Hopefully next Saturday and Sundays ties will be as exciting, certainly hope so.

As for the KOC, Stoke are favourites now after todays 1st leg, but its not all over yet :wink:

Edited post to add - Great to see a coach load of Stoke fans making the trip down to support their side :approve:

Edited by PhilK

Total overreaction Mr Mungo, you obviously have some big issues where Mildenhall are concerned!!

Why would I have issues where Mildenhall are concerned?

There were a couple of unsavoury scenes, although certain riders cetainly seemed to provoke what went on. The Mildenhall promotion were quick to make it clear that this sort of thing is not acceptable in the post match forum!

Some very unsavoury scenes I'd say. I don't think I have ever never seen such an over-reaction to a first bend incident.

No doubt it was hard and Lambert should count himself lucky to be in the re-run, but even so...

To say Mildenhall have more 'hooligans' is overdramatic and also incorrect and does an injustice to our club. I stood in the stand and some bloke had some issues with Simon Lambert which was no more than some shouting and posturing! Then something happened by the fence which calmed down prety quickly.

Maybe hooligan was not the greatest of terms but people like that don't deserve to be placed in the same category as the decent minded Mildenhall fans.

It was a cracking cup final tie and both sides put on a great show for the supporters. I haven't heard of any riders complaining about the Mildenhall track, which has produced some excellent racing this season and today was no different.

Some fine races towards the end, agreed. Several spread out races towards the middle of the meeting and riders struggling with the track at the start of the meeting, which appears to be the norm when I have visited Mildenhall.

Certainly a lively meeting though!

Very simply the best entertainment at a speedway meeting I have ever had, it had the lot,excitement,controversy,if all speedway meetings were like this,then then the fans would be flocking back, just as they were at West Row this afternoon. And as for value for money well the best £10 I've spent since that weekend in Hamburg a few years ago (dont tell the wife about that one!).

As they say

"If Carlsberg done speedway meetings......................

Very simply the best entertainment at a speedway meeting I have ever had, it had the lot,excitement,controversy,if all speedway meetings were like this,then then the fans would be flocking back, just as they were at West Row this afternoon. And as for value for money well the best £10 I've spent since that weekend in Hamburg a few years ago (dont tell the wife about that one!).

Spot on - went to Mildenhall for the first time in many years and thoroughly enjoyed myself. Good atmosphere, great racing and lots of incident too.

Not very impressed by Lambert - he clearly enjoys being a big fish in a small pond. Despite being unbeatable, he failed to team ride when it was needed - his only contrbution to helping his team mate was going straight at the first bend, which Turnbull should have excluded him for. OK, he looked over his shoulder for Pickard in 11 and Sarjeant in 15, but both times then abandoned them as he rode into the distance, and both times Daniel Halsey produced great passes to rescue vital points for the home team.

Halsey's last bend pass of Sarjeant in Heat 15 was genuine quality - if it had been Ward against Bjerre in the play-offs Shouty Pearson would have given himself a hernia.

Other bits worth a mention: Hargreaves and Aaron Baseby passing Isherwood in Heat 4 - and Isherwood then getting in such a tangle that he lurched off the track and across the centre green. Bizarre falls for Tony Atkin in each of his first two rides - he didn't look at all comfortable on his bike, let alone on track. Great team riding between the Baseby Bros. in heat 8 - very controlled and looking for each other all the way. A well-measured pass by Baseby on Isherwood in Heat 12 after being outgated, and on his own following Jacobs' exclusion. OK, so Isherwood didn't trouble the scorers, but Baseby could easily have panicked - instead he rode sensibly and picked off his opponent - and also gave Sarjeant a scare on the last lap!

Finally - had to giggle at the programme listing the Stoke #4 as "Tommy Atkins", and then Kevin Long after Atkin's second fall saying he was in the wars. Tommy Atkins, your country needs you! lol

Well done to all.

I have just got home from meeting, what Hargreaves and Lambert got up to after heat 13 I consider part of the banter with fans and you see at meetings all over. In nearly 50 years of attending speedway meetings I am am totally disgusted! Kevin long (announcer) had asked for fans to calm down,James Sergent who was not involved in heat 13, then picked up a metal bar from his toolbox and threaten to hit fans with it!!! This caused a scuffle which resulted in the pit fence nearly falling on to families with children who dashed back and almost fell over. Luckily nobody was hurt. To make matters worse, unbelievably the Stoke management decided to put him in heat 15. This mad man should have been put in a car and taken home. Edward Kennet has been banned for drilling holes in his silencer, what can Sergent expect?

I have just returned from the Mildenhall match and witnessed scenes which are totally unacceptable in the so called 'family sport ' of speedway. Ok Lambert and Hargreaves had a bit of a coming together in heat 13 - who was to blame is irrelevant after what it lead to. The so called Mildenhall fans were 'out of their tree' . Not content with the general banter of booing and shouting etc.at Lambert a fight broke out in the pits between riders, mechanics from both sides.

But what happened next outside of the away pits area I never want to see again. Grown men kicking Lambert sitting in his chair in his pit bay, rocking the fencing and trying to kick the pit fence down to get at him and have a go. What is it all coming to? People were jostled and fighting then broke out outside the away pits area. Do these people have any right to call themselves speedway fans? I think not!! More like brainless. This is totally unacceptable behaviour which then encites more trouble.

If the management track down these people they should be banned from speedway for life.

It was like witnessing crowd trouble at a football match.

Im afraid Mildenhall Speedway today was certainly not 'a family sport' with scenes witnessed by children.

It was a cracking meeting up till then and Stoke did well to pull the score back to a deficit of 8 points. But please can we leave the fisticuffs and troublemakers out of it for next weeks meeting.

Don't get me wrong I dont condone any behaviour like this, but lets not get things out of proportion here.

Fast times, close racing and some excellent passes, none better than the two Mildenhall Man of the Match Daniel Halsey produced in heats 12 and 15 added up to a red blooded cup tie :approve:

Simon Lambert was excellent again although personally I thought he was lucky to get back in Heat 13.

Hopefully next Saturday and Sundays ties will be as exciting, certainly hope so.

As for the KOC, Stoke are favourites now after todays 1st leg, but its not all over yet :wink:

Edited post to add - Great to see a coach load of Stoke fans making the trip down to support their side :approve:

No Phil, you have your usual Mildenhall rose tinted goggles on. First of all great meeting. The current promotion have certainly got their act together presenting a well organised, professional meeting. The track was excellent and produced some superb racing. Two very well balanced teams who gave it there all.

However, standing on bend one watching 50 year old men throwing chips at the Stoke riders beggars belief. A small minority behaving like football hooligans did an injustice to the large well behaved majority.

I have just got home from meeting, what Hargreaves and Lambert got up to after heat 13 I consider part of the banter with fans and you see at meetings all over. In nearly 50 years of attending speedway meetings I am am totally disgusted! Kevin long (announcer) had asked for fans to calm down,James Sergent who was not involved in heat 13, then picked up a metal bar from his toolbox and threaten to hit fans with it!!! This caused a scuffle which resulted in the pit fence nearly falling on to families with children who dashed back and almost fell over. Luckily nobody was hurt. To make matters worse, unbelievably the Stoke management decided to put him in heat 15. This mad man should have been put in a car and taken home. Edward Kennet has been banned for drilling holes in his silencer, what can Sergent expect?

Think you will find that a fan threw a bottle at james sargant after spitting at him > the same fan :drink: then lunged at the fence knocking pickards bike over , the said mildenhall fan :drink: then attacked a man who was talking to sargant through the fence .

i never saw a metal bar and i was standing at the side of the incident ? this was the best meeting ive been to in years .

the fans seem very anti stoke when credit should have been given to all riders for a fantastic meeting ,

shame we dont get these kind of meetings at rye house.

fantastic well run meeting ,mildenhall has certanly changed for the better with the new promotion ,we will definatly be going back next week , "WHAT A SPEEDWAY MATCH " FULL PACKAGE THANKS FOR A FANTASTIC DAY AN ALL FOR A TENNER :t:

Think you will find that a fan threw a bottle at james sargant after spitting at him > the same fan :drink: then lunged at the fence knocking pickards bike over , the said mildenhall fan :drink: then attacked a man who was talking to sargant through the fence .

i never saw a metal bar and i was standing at the side of the incident ? this was the best meeting ive been to in years .

the fans seem very anti stoke when credit should have been given to all riders for a fantastic meeting ,

shame we dont get these kind of meetings at rye house.

fantastic well run meeting ,mildenhall has certanly changed for the better with the new promotion ,we will definatly be going back next week , "WHAT A SPEEDWAY MATCH " FULL PACKAGE THANKS FOR A FANTASTIC DAY AN ALL FOR A TENNER :t:

You are dead right. Brilliant meeting much better than i've seen at Rye House all year. there was some provocation from fans but he definitely picked up a bar from toolbox. Should have been removed from stadium, totally out of control.

I would love to go back next week, but will my family be safe?