British Speedway Forum
PhilK

Mildenhall V Stoke - Ko Cup Final 1st Leg

Hi Phil,

I'm certainly not going to fall out with you over this because you're a friend, but I can't completely agree with your posting, but of course recognise we are ALL entitled to our own opinions.

With regards to the Heat 13 incident, I was stood right in front of where it all happened, and it was no more than four very dedicated riders eager to come out of the 2nd bend in front, as Mildenhall is such a difficult track to pass on, due to its size.

Simon Lambert was no more to blame for the incident than anyone else, as they were all jostling for important track position, and the referee without question, called it right by allowing all four back in. Certainly a nasty coming together though, and thankfully everybody was okay. If a rider feels he's been roughed up by another, generally speaking they start showing their displeasure on the track, irrespective of the medical condition of the suspected culprit, yet this was not the case. Nothing happened for around 10-minutes until all had returned to what should be the safety of their pit area.

Although I can't answer for what happened between riders in the pits, what was evident, and I'm sorry but this is where we disagree, was the trouble brought about by a substantial amount of so called Mildenhall fans. Forgetting about yesterday, but there is a guy that stands at the back by the fish bar, who every meeting is loud mouthing and swearing about everybody in the visitors camp. There's another chap who is always first in the queue to get in, and sits at the back close to the track shop with his wife, who is a major trouble maker with his verbal outbursts. Then there's the gang who stand in front of the bar, who always seem to be looking for trouble....not nice.

So all in all, some very nasty scenes yesterday, right under the noses of the dignatories in attendance. Lets hope lessons have been learned, and there won't be a repeat when the two teams lock horns again next Sunday, but unless the morons that I've mentioned grow up in the course of the next seven days, I fear they will be out to verbally entice trouble again.

ATB/Mike

Great piece If these so called supporters are not banned by Mildenhall as every seems to know who they are the club should be fined. Any behavior like this by MORONS in the future the club involved should have points deducted. It would soon be sorted out then. I have been to many elite league meetings this year Grown men F,ing and blinding in front of their young children. What great role models.

sound like Lambert gave it back as good as he got!!!

i guess the lad scoring 18 and putting Stoke in the box seat was the main reason

I'm told by a regular that Lambert wasn't flavour of the month from a few weeks earlier when he scored a 21 point max, and in an interview said words to the effect that there wouldn't have been a match if he hadn't been there.

Yesterday, he wasn't involved in any exciting racing, just the controversy - aided, as mentioned by other posters, a hopeless ref. Not heat 13, but previously when he didn't bother to turn going into the first bend and caused a crash, which could not be described as first bend bunching.

Turnbull failed to impose any authority - and Heeps wasn't the only one who moved at the tapes. A Stoke rider actually touched them - ironically in the heat where both visitors subsequently fell and Mildenhall scored a 5-0.

How can a referee not see movement at the start, and also not do anything about it?

Dont think there'll be too many empty spaces on the terraces next week, fantastic publicity just what the sport needs some excitement, see you all next week and bring a friend.

Hopefully all the people that were not that there yesterday but seem to have had a need to voice an opinion on the subject will also come along, come on you know you want to.

Never ever been hoarse after a speedway meeting before yesterday,great display from Dan Halsey.

Just an observation Simon Lambert's first 3 outings high and wide on the 1st/2nd bend which caused Re runs, heat 13 re-run and heat 15 start (this after the "incidents") he took a much tighter line result no carnage, yet he still won the race, the boy at this level is class, but he has been involved in so many 1st bend incidents at Mildenhall in both meetings this season that it cannott be coincidence, and the obvious truth is he doesnt need to do it, he can win at this level without causing potentially big problems for others. I said after Stokes 1st visit that he was the best rider I had seen around West Row this season, and I stand by that, but yesterday he tarnished his reputation in my eyes with his actions on and off his bike.

Mildenhall supporters had better watch out when they come to Stoke for the flying oatcakes, especially the cheese ones. :wink:

Just an observation Simon Lambert's first 3 outings high and wide on the 1st/2nd bend which caused Re runs, heat 13 re-run and heat 15 start (this after the "incidents") he took a much tighter line result no carnage, yet he still won the race, the boy at this level is class, but he has been involved in so many 1st bend incidents at Mildenhall in both meetings this season that it cannott be coincidence, and the obvious truth is he doesnt need to do it, he can win at this level without causing potentially big problems for others.

<Facebook> Like <\Facebook>

Where's Mr Vasey with his comments? He doesn't usually duck out of sticking up for his riders.

The newspaper ramblings of Mr Louis or the web postings of Mr Vasey have nothing to do with any violence or bad behavior among supporters. They were adults and are fully capable of being responsible for their on actions. I wasn't there, but I'll bet the majority, if not all, of those causing the trouble were older than the young riders involved. Some people are just predisposed to bad behavior and don't need much to set them off.

As for riders picking up spanners etc. Well, it was the climax of an important speedway match and riders will already have the adrenilin flowing, so perhaps it isn't too surprising (While not condoning it). If the fans had behaved themselves and stuck to just verbal anger instead of apparently acting like thugs, then it might not have got out of hand.

Perhaps a few are watching the wrong sport or maybe they are ex Milwall hooligans who moved to the Fens?

I really do hope that speedway is not going to go the way of football with this sort of behaviour. I have seen isolated incidents of poor language at a few tracks over the years, including Loomer Rd but this is something that should not be put up with by anyone. Poor football put me off at Vale 15 years ago but was asked to take some kids to the Brit two years back. On that occasion and another since after I was persuaded it was a one off I have left games just into the second half because of foul and obusive language, and threats to myself and kids for asking someone not to kick my seat. I know it's very old school to think this way but we have far better ways of raising our voices in support of our teams than to turn the air blue. I was not at the meeting on Sunday but by the sounds it was not pleasant enviroment to have youngsters in, never mind adults. Lets see what happens this weekend; just hope the speedway brings our discussions to the forum and nothing else.

I.have seen a big change in peoples attitudes over the years.Even older people in there 40 and 50 now swear in public and seem to think it is excitable.I just look at them as morons who lack education the standard of people as gone down in my opinion. Even the younger ones F and Blind in front of girls and some girls even come out with bad language,so the type of idiots that have a pint of shandy and cant hold there beer cause trouble.I was a handy ladd in my day and even now any i could take out a few drunks. I find it disgusting the way people behave today they should grow up and behave.If i come across any of these morons at a speedway they will be sorry we have know place for idiots.I have followed speedway for 60 years and always felt it a safe place to take my family and it must remain a safe place or it will perish.To all you so called men who cant take beer without becoming idiots dont drink. :drink:

Edited by bw double

Can't quote atm,but 2ndbendpostie, I thought Rambo was involved in 2 reruns,one in heat 11 when he was going for the outside,and one in heat 13.

On the heat 13 incident,I was stood on the second bend, and it looked like Hargreaves(I think) made the gate and was stuck in 2 minds between clamping Lambert down or running wide. He left a gap there then when Lambert was marginally in front,attempted to shut the gap,resulting in his front wheel hitting Lambets leg.

No need for what happened after. Not going to comment on the mindless portion of fans who thought it appropriate to attempt to rip the pits fence down. Hopefully the whole incident has been recorded by the Ref and the SCB/BSPA take whatever action they deem necessary.

What Mildenhall need now is a nice quiet weekend against a team who they have no issues with in a couple of meaningless meetings,,,

Damn. See you Sunday =D

I.have seen a big change in peoples attitudes over the years.Even older people in there 40 and 50 now swear in public and seem to think it is excitable.I just look at them as morons who lack education the standard of people as gone down in my opinion. Even the younger ones F and Blind in front of girls and some girls even come out with bad language,so the type of idiots that have a pint of shandy and cant hold there beer cause trouble.I was a handy ladd in my day and even now any i could take out a few drunks. I find it disgusting the way people behave today they should grow up and behave.If i come across any of these morons at a speedway they will be sorry we have know place for idiots.I have followed speedway for 60 years and always felt it a safe place to take my family and it must remain a safe place or it will perish.To all you so called men who cant take beer without becoming idiots dont drink. :drink:

Irony is a wonderful thing.

Best meeting of the year, thrills, spills, heroes and villains - if all meetings were like this we would have packed stadia evey meeting.

Has everone gone soft or something? forget about who did what - 14 young lads ( even include "Tommy" in that for getting on with it after 2 bad spills ) with passion and desire to win. O.K. it spilled over but I am sure respective Team Managers will sort it out "in house" - and hopefully anybody spitting etc at riders will be banned, that goes beyond disgraceful.

Credit both sets of Managers for calming things down - e.g. Chris Louis took a couple of the Stoke riders into the tunnel while it was all kicking off and I am sure Malcolm would have done similar.

Somewhat overlooked as well was the Stoke fightback from 38 - 20 down, good Team management and tacticals full credit for digging in deep when it would have been easier to cave in.

For Mildenhall some gutsy performances too, if the next three meetings are as competitive and close will be a great run out to the end of the season. Hope to see the same amount of Stoke fans back too, the ones that were around me were spot on Speedway people.

Kev

Best meeting of the year, thrills, spills, heroes and villains - if all meetings were like this we would have packed stadia evey meeting.

Has everone gone soft or something? forget about who did what - 14 young lads ( even include "Tommy" in that for getting on with it after 2 bad spills ) with passion and desire to win. O.K. it spilled over but I am sure respective Team Managers will sort it out "in house" - and hopefully anybody spitting etc at riders will be banned, that goes beyond disgraceful.

Credit both sets of Managers for calming things down - e.g. Chris Louis took a couple of the Stoke riders into the tunnel while it was all kicking off and I am sure Malcolm would have done similar.

Somewhat overlooked as well was the Stoke fightback from 38 - 20 down, good Team management and tacticals full credit for digging in deep when it would have been easier to cave in.

For Mildenhall some gutsy performances too, if the next three meetings are as competitive and close will be a great run out to the end of the season. Hope to see the same amount of Stoke fans back too, the ones that were around me were spot on Speedway people.

Kev

Best post on this thread yet...wasn't there on Sunday but hopefully will make both matches this weekend

Kev

Great post mate :approve:

See you Sunday (if not Saturday).

Hi guys, new poster here, I know I'm a bit late and i do agree with the poster saying we should see it as speedway and move on, but I'm going to give you my pennies worth if you don't mind.

I traveled down to Mildenhall for the first time on Sunday, and on the balance of things i had a great time, the club is ran very well and the majority of the fans are great people. But lets move to the "incident".

From what i could see to put all the blame on 1 single rider for the crash is a bit over the top, i think Lambert probably could be the main culprit, but all 4 guys wanted to win the race, and all 4 pushed as hard as possible, and unfortunately (like very often in Speedway) it had a bad outcome. All 4 riders are OK, which is the main thing here lets not forget.

What i saw afterwards wasn't very good at all, attempted gang assaults on a young rider by middle aged men, fans deliberately trying to damage riders equipment thus potentially distrupting their careers and attack mechanics and riders throguh the fencing. I never saw Sarj with a spanner, but if he did do this then I agree he should be punished, regardless of wehather he felt threatened or not.

On a personal note behind me was a group of MFT fans, they wernt "chavs" but you could tell they wouldnt mind a bit of trouble. As Simon was walking back to the pits they were shouting and ballin at him, I looked back as you do to see who it was etc etc. Then (Having my Potters polo shirt on) i recieved a barrage of insults from these men, calling me all the offensive names under the sun. f*!$£ng this p$%!"ng that, calling my girlfriend rude names and words and to be honest I've never felt so threatened in my life. I moved away from these people and tried to avoid them for the rest of the night.

It won't put me off coming back this sunday though, as i said most of the fans at mildenhall continued to discuss the situation with me throughout and one lady even told the men to "shut up, your a disgrace to the club". Which was nice.

Good luck this weekend Mildenhall, I am looking forward to welcoming you all to loomer road on saturday :).

Warren

Edited by CreweStokie