British Speedway Forum

Right................didn't mess it up this year!!

Thanks to all those who posted on last year's Prague thread. The information has proved very useful.

I've booked me leave, flights and hotel in the centre by the river but I'm just wondering what transport is available to get back after the GP. Can I assume there'll be plenty of coaches/buses/trams/taxis etc? Also, my accomodation wants paying in cash...........not a problem if there are cash machines about but are there any?

Edited by Mylor

Mylor, there are plenty of trams that will take you to the metro station, from which you can get to the centre. Its very easy to get around Prague, and banks are a plenty in the centre so cash machines are not a problem. Cash machines are also available at the airport.

I found the cheapest way around was to buy a travel pass, this will allow travel on buses, trams and trains throughout the city and can be bought at the airport.

I used my switch card in a cash machine in old town square with no problems at all

Much will depend where you are staying with regard to transport. I always use the 22 tram, which drops me near my hotel, there is also I think the 18 and No.8 that go from not far from the stadium. The trams run through the night, but change their number at I think midnight. As already said, the trams connect with the underground in various parts of the city.

There are plenty of cash machines in the city centre, all of them let you draw out cash using your Visa/Mastercard etc and if you've got one of the new Maestro cards you can use those too. Or you could just take travellers cheques 'cos there's plenty of Bureau de Change places in the city.

Guest JY2003

We went last year, just to be careful that the taxis dont rip you off, we got riped off last year and it werent nice! Its very good! their tho!Weve booked out tickets etc for this year,YAY! :D

You won't need a cash machine. A little money will go a very long way

Remember they go into Europe on 1st May Chris.......apparently according to our Czech consul rep prices have already started to hike :sad:

It'll stll be a lot cheaper than the UK though but its unlikely you'll be able to get Budvar at 25p/pint anymore!

............The trams run through the night

No need to rush out of the stadium then..............thanks.

I've got an appartment near the Stare Mesto (the Old Town) and quite close to the bars and cash machines apparently !! :P

Thanks everyone........have a good time if you're going. I'll be thinking of you if you're not.

Guest Carp
We went last year, just to be careful that the taxis dont rip you off, we got riped off last year and it werent nice! Its very good! their tho!Weve booked out tickets etc for this year,YAY! :D

Amen to that! Prague is generally extremely cheap as long as you avoid taxis like the plague and don't drink in the old town square (also stupidly expensive).

My VISA and Switch\Maestro worked just fine in the cashpoints over there, and the charge was minimal. The transactions do take a while to work through to your account though.

Have never been to Marketa, but if it's on the trams or metro then I promise it'll be a doddle to get to. The public transport over there is very cheap and very reliable. Definately get a pass ticket though. They're really cheap, and being able to just hope on a tram makes Prague very easy to get around.

There are plenty of places where you can get a genuinely decent meal for two for less than a tenner, providing you avoid the obvious tourist spots. Likewise, the beer is cheap and of good quality, but try and avoid the tourist bits because they really do rip you off.

Tram number 18 will get you near the stadium and you walk past all the mad Polish fans in their tents in a near by field! :D

I believe when we left Marketa after the Tomicek memorial the trams stop at midnight. Buses so run after this but not trams

I thought that too. But do you think they charge extra for the white knuckle ride they give you? :mad::D

We used countless taxis in Prague last year and never got ripped off once. The secret is to negotiate with them before you get in. Tell them where you want to go and they give you a price, say 500Kr, then you offer them about 300Kr and 9 times out of 10 they'll take you for that price. Worked every time for us !