British Speedway Forum

That would be a great mark of respect, but some of the Newport Promotion and Managment did not see Eye to Eye with Tim .

Many people did not see eye to eye with Tim, me included, but I believe that Tim was a very ill man and that it was trying to keep Newport alive finally resulted in his fatal heart attack.

So rarther than disrespect him name it after him. Lets face it that if it was'nt for Tim there would not be Queensway Meadow Stadium and no Newport Speedway

Many people did not see eye to eye with Tim, me included, but I believe that Tim was a very ill man and that it was trying to keep Newport alive finally resulted in his fatal heart attack.

So rarther than disrespect him name it after him. Lets face it that if it was'nt for Tim there would not be Queensway Meadow Stadium and no Newport Speedway

Here here! I was a big fan of Tims and always will be. In my eyes he was a top man.

I quite Agree I had Many Run ins With Tim, But ahead of all thosed who promised so much that came to Nowt, Tim went about his tasks without Bragging on HTV that They had done it and were bringing Speedway Back to Newport, only to be found wanting. Tim was not found Wanting ,HE did it, yes he had his faults some of which I believe Lead to his Death, But The man did it and should be Honoured and Recognised for What He Achieved.

NEWPORT SPEEDWAY PRESS RELEASE :

NEW YEAR CLASSIC TO BE IN MEMORY OF TIM STONE

The Newport staged New Year Classic, which will be on Bank Holiday Monday January 2nd 2012with a 1pm start , will be dedicated to the man who started it all in 1999 --Tim Stone.

The late Newport promoter introduced the only outdoor UK meeting which has been held at the track every year except 2009 when the club was closed down after Tim Stone’s death and Poole ran the event that year.

Now in its thirteenth staging and the twelfth at Newport this is the first one not to be held on a Sunday from the first one on January 2nd 1999.

Co-promoter Steve Mallett commented, “ We have been considering this for some while but only just got round to doing it. Previously we had dedicated the Prince of Wales Trophy to Tim but the New Year Classic is really more suited as it was his brainchild. The riders will be competing for the new Tim Stone Trophy.”

“ We will now dedicate the Prince of Wales Trophy in March to Neil Street who was a Newport legend .This seems much more appropriate.”

“ The 2012 Classic has I think an interesting line-up and it is difficult to predict who might win it . Nick and Laurence have done a good job with the field and also both gone out and got race and advertising sponsors to back the meeting. Hopefully the weather will be with us and give speedway fans throughout the country a day out enjoying their favourite sport.”

• Like 1

I think it is a great thing to do Laurence. Tim was always happy to chat whenever he came to what was then Arena-Essex. People like Tim will always have people who disagree with him but like it has been said, he was a doer. Those of us who do are not good at taking criticism from those that do not do.

Edited by The Little Un

Countdown to the 2012 New Year Classic begins:

With just days left now until the only outdoor winter speedway meeting the Newport promotion is hard at work getting the venue ready for the event which usually attracts speedway fans from all over the UK.

The 2012 staging is being held for the first time on a Monday with January 2nd being a public bank holiday and with a lunch time 1pm start time this should prove to be popular with travelling fans,

Co-promoter Nick Mallett is counting down the days till the meeting , “ I personally can’t wait as I think this is going to live up to its meeting title and be a real cracker. Looking at the line-up we have assembled I would not like to predict which four riders will reach the final never mind who might win it!”

“ We have former classic champions , winners of the Welsh Open and Prince of Wales Trophy , a whole host of club number one riders, an exciting newcomer and home favourite Anders Mellgren. All very mouth watering for speedway fans starved of their favourite sport since October.”

“The track staff have worked so hard relaying the track with tons and tons of new dirt down and packed in and it should produce some great racing. Roll on Monday January 2nd !!”

LINE-UP (not in riding order) : Ricky Ashworth (Plymouth); Steve Boxall (Plymouth); Kevin Doolan (Ipswich); Andre Hertzberg (unattached); David Howe (Scunthorpe and Kings Lynn); Mark Lemon (Newcastle) ;Anders Mellgren (Newport); Chris Schramm (unattached); Lee Smart (unattached); Andrew Tully (Edinburgh); Carl Wilkinson (unattached); James Wright (Somerset)

Monday January 2nd 2012 with a 1pm start.

Admission : £15 Adults ; £13 Concessions (with proof required); £5 Children 5-15 ; Under 5’s free ; £ 32 Family (2A + 2C)

Edited by Main Man

Quality overreaction. :rofl:

nowhere near as good as the overreaction on Leicester threads but quality nontheless

New Year Classic Champion issues plea :

Defending New Year Classic Champion Lee Smart has issued a plea to fans as he defends his title on Monday January 2nd.

The former Stoke, Birmingham, Plymouth and Dudley rider , who has no team place for the 2012 season yet wants his fans at his former tracks to get behind him as he aims to retain the Classic and become the first winner of the new Tim Stone Trophy.

Smart says , “ Last year I had magnificent support especially from the Dudley Heathens fans and I want to have the same level of backing as I attempt to keep the Classic title. The noise they made last year made me so determined to repay them and I managed that winning despite being the least favourite in the Final.”

“I need a good performance again to make promoters sit up and realise I am available and could do a good job for them. With most teams now full this is a big ask but with the fans behind me I am determined to show them again what I can do. So I hope to see supporters from all my old tracks shouting for me as this will give me the boost I need to provide a shock again in a very strong field of riders.”

LINE-UP (not in riding order) : Ricky Ashworth (Plymouth); Steve Boxall (Plymouth); Kevin Doolan (Ipswich); Andre Hertzberg (unattached); David Howe (Scunthorpe and Kings Lynn); Mark Lemon (Newcastle) ;Anders Mellgren (Newport); Chris Schramm (unattached); Lee Smart (unattached); Andrew Tully (Edinburgh); Carl Wilkinson (unattached); James Wright (Somerset)

Monday January 2nd 2012 with a 1pm start.

Admission : £15 Adults ; £13 Concessions (with proof required); £5 Children 5-15 ; Under 5’s free ; £ 32 Family (2A + 2C)

Can't wait, hope the weather holds up.

Good annual get together in the winter season. Well done to the promotion for getting a good field of riders.

Difficult to say who will win this - going for one of my favourite riders - Ricky Ashworth - always rides Queensway Meadows well.

Can't wait, hope the weather holds up.

Good annual get together in the winter season. Well done to the promotion for getting a good field of riders.

Difficult to say who will win this - going for one of my favourite riders - Ricky Ashworth - always rides Queensway Meadows well.

Weather can't make up its mind - or, more accurately, the forecasters can't. :rolleyes:

Heavy rain predicted on Thursday, then light rain, then light rain shower, then sunny, then light rain shower, now back to sunny !!

As with many, I suspect, I will make my mind up Saturday night as I plan to stay over on Sunday.

It will be sunny Halifax Tiger my old friend!!! The starts have been prepared and covered and track all but ready with just last minute work to complete.

I think this Classic will be just that --a classic !! Wonder what people's predictions are for the finalists and winner ??? Difficult one for sure.

Remember gates open 11.30 with parade at 1pm ......see you there!!! :party: