British Speedway Forum

According to the Polish press, discussions are underway at the FIM as to whether the SWC (World Cup) should be replaced by the return of the World Pairs Championship. A decision will be made in 2012, with a view to the change, if decided, to happen in 2013.

FIM cite the difficulty in finding enough teams to compete in the preliminary rounds, as many countries cannot find 5 riders of a high enough calibre to compete. Countries mentioned include Austria, Holland, Hungary, Croatia and Norway, but these countries are far more likely to be able to find 2 or 3 riders to compete in the World Pairs.

Given Terry Russell's comments on the financial implications of the SWC in the current Speedway Star, as well as the resultant loss of a week's Elite League racing at the height of the season, I would suggest that the BSPA would probably support any change.

And I understand their reasoning. But personally, I think the SWC generally provides some superb racing, year after year, and I would be very sad to see it go. Plus I don't think that a pairs championship can provide a true reflection of which nation has the best TEAM.

But on the plus side you would get a race with two riders on the same side in each race competing instead of 1 rider from each country in a race making it closer to league racing than individual racing. It would also make it more global as countries like the US would be back in and dare I say it NZ.

National Teams could go back to Test Matches something that was lost with SWC. again a team format rather than an individual one.

Edited by kiwi

I don't really see how the additional of more minor nations to the preliminary rounds will enhance the SWC - it is all about the final week and the eight major qualifying teams.

However, the idea of the World Pairs is very appealing. The format would need to be tweaked, the Elite Pairs format doesn't work for me, but BSI seem to be the masters of extracting the utmost excitement from a competition, so I would be interested to see them give it a go. Maybe another week could be set aside for this competition(!).

FIM cite the difficulty in finding enough teams to compete in the preliminary rounds, as many countries cannot find 5 riders of a high enough calibre to compete.

If it was worth their while, there would be no problem finding countries to compete. That they're seriously suggesting reverting the SWC to a glorified pairs competition, shows just how much the FIM and their partner have taken the sport to the next level.

With respect to team sizes though, they could run a 4TT format with 4-rider teams.

Let's face it, countries like Austria, Holland, Hungary, Croatia, Norway and NZ would not be able to find two world class riders any more than they can currently find five.

Surely the World Pairs is a separate, new competition, why would BSI be able to claim them, they bought the rights to the WTC .....

I'd like a yearly Pairs competition, and a four-yearly (or even bi-annual) World Cup, run with 7-man teams, across two or three weeks.

For me the current format works best as you'd have over half the field just making up the numbers in a pairs format.

the only change i would make to the current format is to bring a pairs style to it. instead of 1 rider from each nation i'd have 2 riders from 2 nations in each race but 4 nations in the meeting. either 4 riders to each team or leave it at 5 but make it so each rider rides with each of his team mates.

To me the World (Team) Cup is the only proper World Championship we have left in the sport and always, as TMW says, produces great racing, well-supported meetings and exciting championship action. To lose such a long-standing event would be a tragedy for the sport..

I LOVE the idea though of the World Pairs returning - but this woud HAVE to be to supplement the international calendar alongside the World Cup and NOT to replace it...

To me the World (Team) Cup is the only proper World Championship we have left in the sport and always, as TMW says, produces great racing, well-supported meetings and exciting championship action. To lose such a long-standing event would be a tragedy for the sport..

I LOVE the idea though of the World Pairs returning - but this woud HAVE to be to supplement the international calendar alongside the World Cup and NOT to replace it...

WOULDN'T afford the Polish story much credence. SWC may be revamped a little and a pairs competition has been mentioned if a date in an already crowded calendar could be found.

The format would need to be tweaked, the Elite Pairs format doesn't work for me, but BSI seem to be the masters of extracting the utmost excitement from a competition, so I would be interested to see them give it a go.

They'd likely use the classic 7-team, 21-heat format, just the same as they reverted to the old 16-rider, 20-heat format for the SGP.

They'd likely use the classic 7-team, 21-heat format, just the same as they reverted to the old 16-rider, 20-heat format for the SGP.

:D

WOULDN'T afford the Polish story much credence. SWC may be revamped a little and a pairs competition has been mentioned if a date in an already crowded calendar could be found.

Add the Champions League into the mix as well :blink:

If it was worth their while, there would be no problem finding countries to compete. With respect to team sizes though, they could run a 4TT format with 4-rider teams.

As opposed to the "good old days" when prize money was great. In 1980, I guess the last year of England's "golden era", the England team got 90 quid a piece as prize money! Dave Jessup would have been England's top earning rider over the World Team Cup, including points/start money he would have earned a total of around 200 quid for three meetings. Kenny Carter who was non riding reseve in the semi got paid nowt.

I ndo agree though about reducing the teams to 4 riders, and using the format used in the late 1980s. Otherwsise, I think the current format works well, though I'd get rid of the bl**dy Joker. If you need something like that, you could make heat 20 (top socres race) worth double points?

For me the current format works best as you'd have over half the field just making up the numbers in a pairs format.

I disagree - although Poland/Australia would be favourites, on a good day all of Sweden/Denmark/England/Russia and USA (Hancock doing a version of 1983 Sanders) could all at least compete for a podium spot.

Would be great see a return of the pairs (in addition to, not replacing the SWC). Hold it in one venue, semis Friday and Saturday (or even a day meeting and a night meeting on the same Saturday)and the final on Sunday.

As opposed to the "good old days" when prize money was great. In 1980, I guess the last year of England's "golden era", the England team got 90 quid a piece as prize money! Dave Jessup would have been England's top earning rider over the World Team Cup, including points/start money he would have earned a total of around 200 quid for three meetings. Kenny Carter who was non riding reseve in the semi got paid nowt.

If you consider that 200 quid then is equivalent to about 700-1000 quid today, the current prize money isn't really any better by the time you've deducted accommodation and travel expenses. However, times change and no-one's prepared to work down t'pit for thruppence ha'penny any more.

The real issue though, isn't so much the teams that are successful in the WTC, but the ones scraping around at the bottom. Even more so for the ones starting in the preliminary rounds where the prize money is pitiful.