British Speedway Forum
BigFatDave

Farewell Newport Hornets

Matt K ,,,they called the team Dudley as it was in reality the old Cradley Heathens --with their superb support base coming out in large numbers on a Tuesday night after many years without speedway.....so not actually a clever marketing ploy as such.

I bet it wouldn't have been half as popular if the team was called the Wolverhampton Wolf Cubs or the Birmingham Baby Brummies, though would it?

Either way it was a very clever idea to resurrect the Heathen name.

As for Newport (both big and little teams), I am at a loss to explain their lack of local support. A cracking little stadium and a good track for racing. I have always enjoyed my albeit very cold trips for the NY classic. And let's be honest, there can't be that much else to do in Newport, can there?

I bet it wouldn't have been half as popular if the team was called the Wolverhampton Wolf Cubs or the Birmingham Baby Brummies, though would it?

As for Newport (both big and little teams), I am at a loss to explain their lack of local support. A cracking little stadium and a good track for racing. I have always enjoyed my albeit very cold trips for the NY classic. And let's be honest, there can't be that much else to do in Newport, can there?

Well Mothercare is always kept busy :P

I hope you dont take this the wrong way, because I certainly mean no malice, but you clearly don't understand the situation with the Dudley set-up at Wolverhampton. As has been said previously, the Dudley fan base is made up of largely of die-hard ex Cradley fans who have been looking for a home for donkeys years. Very few fans go to both Wolves & Dudley matches. You make it sound like the Wolves 2nd team, which it certainly is not. We have a team to support at a temporary home until we can find our own stadium. For that we are certainly most grateful to the people at Wolverhampton Speedway and Ladbrokes, but to imply that resurrecting the Heathens name is just a marketing gimmick is a very poorly informed point of view.

'Ommer 'Um

I hope you dont take this the wrong way, because I certainly mean no malice, but you clearly don't understand the situation with the Dudley set-up at Wolverhampton. As has been said previously, the Dudley fan base is made up of largely of die-hard ex Cradley fans who have been looking for a home for donkeys years. Very few fans go to both Wolves & Dudley matches. You make it sound like the Wolves 2nd team, which it certainly is not. We have a team to support at a temporary home until we can find our own stadium. For that we are certainly most grateful to the people at Wolverhampton Speedway and Ladbrokes, but to imply that resurrecting the Heathens name is just a marketing gimmick is a very poorly informed point of view.

'Ommer 'Um

After 2 years at Monmore Wood I can say that in my eyes that the Heathens ARE NOT the "Wolf Cubs"! 99% plus on a Tuesday are true Heathens fans and NEVER wear anything Wolves and are NOT Wolves fans in any way.

I attended all the Wolf Cubs matches when they ran in the CL with the excellent Graham Jones as the captain and the support was never, ever, the same as we get on a Tuesday or away from Monmore Wood.

If the Hornets & Wasps shut please DO NOT blame the Heathens in any way!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :mad:

Edited by berniev123

Surely if Newport sold some of there Asset they would make money for the club ?

What assets? Mellgren, Kurtz and Jones wont be worth much!

What assets? Mellgren, Kurtz and Jones wont be worth much!

Shawn ...I think we own more than those three!!

Whos on Newports retained list these days MM??

Such a shame to be losing a team from the NL. I, like a few others, thought that Newport may run NL only for a while as the financial risk is lower. Of course, it would have been a loss to the PL in that case so either way it's sad for us to be losing a club. Fingers crossed that the locals come out in force next season and the future of the sport in Wales is secured. Best wishes to all down there.

Running a NL team will not attract any new supporters, unless you have a clever marketing ploy (like calling your team Dudley)

It's far from a clever marketing ploy. The association with the Dudley name is keeping a lot of Heathens fan away because DMBC appear to have done, and continue to be doing, jack all to help us find a new name. Make no mistake it's extremely controversial and largely very unpopular. But after 14 years of no speedway the name is a small price to pay and many, like myself, don't acknowledge the Dudley part of the name anyway.

The Wolf Cubs raced in the old CL for a while. It was dropped by Wolverhampton Speedway due to low turn out. Birmingham Bulls have raced some meetings at NL level and been well supported I believe.

Birmingham Bulls have raced some meetings at NL level and been well supported I believe.

Sadly not :(

I can't say I was surprised to hear of the end of Newport Hornets. I read n the Speedway Star they has 50 spectators attend one meeting. That's a long way from my early spectating days when I was part of a 20,000 crowd at New Cross meetings in the 1940s.

DMBC?

Dudley Metropolitan Borough Council ??

Sorry, I should have just type 'the Council' for clarity.

Sadly not :(

Really? I thought pretty decent numbers had turned up. Shame. :(

I was being a little facetious. But It's not like Newport own a load of big names they can sell to make reasonable money. TBF, I doubt any PL clubs does. Mind you, Newports asset base isn't the greatest, despite a reasonable effort from the Malletts.

I can't say I was surprised to hear of the end of Newport Hornets. I read n the Speedway Star they has 50 spectators attend one meeting. That's a long way from my early spectating days when I was part of a 20,000 crowd at New Cross meetings in the 1940s.

That was a very different era.

However, I can remember when we used to get better crowds for Mavericks matches than some clubs got for PL. I was there until the bitter end, and all credit to the Malletts for maintaining the NL side for as long as they did, but it was obvious, even long before the end, that it couldn't be sustained.

A great shame, but not a surprise.