British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Richspeedway

Speedway World Cup

Sounds like a desperate attempt to avoid the commercial catastrophe of hosts not qualifying for the finals. 4 riders instead of 5, meh.

20 heats instead of 25 naturally the admission price will be adjusted accordingly.

icon_rofl.gificon_rofl.gificon_rofl.gif

Hope GB apply for the 2013 Final - at least it will guarantee our place.

But in all seriousness are we heading towards buying a trophy in international speedway.

Bid for the pleasure of hosting the WTC in your backyard and as a bonus your in the final.

So Poland have it for the next 10 years!!

Not sure I'm liking this idea! sad.gif

But in all seriousness are we heading towards buying a trophy in international speedway.

Bid for the pleasure of hosting the WTC in your backyard and as a bonus your in the final.

Surely the current host nation/city/stadium have to bid for the rights?

I feel the same, if they are going to let any nation go straight into the final then it should be the holders. Like Mattk says it is just to make sure the final has a good crowd in as the home fans will know that their nation will be in it.

excellent new rule change i think...will make the rounds and especially the race off much more competitive..and the hosts should always be there, like football world cups and euros etc.....very positive move i think

excellent new rule change i think...will make the rounds and especially the race off much more competitive..and the hosts should always be there, like football world cups and euros etc.....very positive move i think

However will there be anyone at the race-off ? recently i believe the host country have been been in it

However will there be anyone at the race-off ? recently i believe the host country have been been in it

Interesting. If the hosts will be seeded directly to the finals, it now makes no sense at all having the race-off and finals in the same location.

Surely the current host nation/city/stadium have to bid for the rights?

They do - that's what I'm saying - Bid High and its at your track!

Sounds like a desperate attempt to avoid the commercial catastrophe of hosts not qualifying for the finals. 4 riders instead of 5, meh.

Well unless I've missed something tell me when the hosts didn't qualify for the final I've only missed one world cup and I've not known it to happen

Well unless I've missed something tell me when the hosts didn't qualify for the final I've only missed one world cup and I've not known it to happen

Absolutely ... so is it really surprising that it is precisely now that they change the system.

In previous years Denmark and Poland have always been going to qualify for the final, even if it had to come via the race off. But for the next two years things aren't so easy to predict are they.

In 2012 there was no surity that the Swedes would get through to their finals (50-50 chance at best) BUT in 2013 if Belle Vue gets built England will be staging the final. Actually our only chance of being in that final is if this change was made.

So this is no favour to the Poles; this is for Team GB's benefit isn't it?