British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
robert72

Leicester Track Debate

Anyone but the fiercely defensive (and god knows there are a few of those at Leicester!) can see the shape is very wrong and there's a distinct lack of racing lines available. As a result, aside from the odd race every now and again, the racing there is a very poor spectacle overall with endless strung-out processions, all done and dusted after bend 2 lap 1. As Deanmur points out above, the straights are too long and riders shut off half way down in readiness for riding into the bends with the problem being that they struggle to actually 'race' in. The ones that profess to like it tend to be the ones who get in front and are easily able to stay there! If ever there was a track that could be described as a 'Gater's Paradise' then Beaumont Park is it.

It's a massive cock-up as the track was always the one thing DH needed to get right more than anything else. It's central to getting people through the gates and like any business, if the product being sold is inferior then people will not buy it. The proof is that crowds have gradually been shrinking at Leicester since it opened. The hard-core loyal support will always go, and as I say, some even defend the track despite what they regularly have to sit and watch, and they've been going ecstatic on Facebook this week. I guess it was a real shock to the system to see a couple of races with actual passing in! :lol: Importantly though, the more discerning fans are disappearing fast, especially those from other tracks who want a fix of speedway and did attend Leicester meetings but not anymore. You rarely see many Wolves, Birmingham or Cov fans there now for instance. It's simply not worth their travel and expense and as such Beaumont Park has largely become the domain of loyal Leicester fans only, and I know many of those who don't bother going every week, and this despite having waited 28 years for it to come back. Leicester's return should have been the best thing to happen in British Speedway for many years, and the simple fact is it's not. And all the debate over the track's shortcomings are central to this. And there are too many people saying it. 

Saturday's meeting at home to Rye House was a lot better - so I'm told. And thank goodness. But it needs to produce that week in week out. Will it though? One swallow doesn't make a summer and my concern is whether that is possible given that there is this fundamental flaw in the track shape. The kerb definitely needs taking in as described by Glyn Taylor, but this does require the drainage system digging up too - and that's expensive. A huge, and damaging, mistake was made in the planning of the track and the solution is not going to be easy - or cheap.

Edited by LionsDen
  • Like 3

It's all very well quoting the Glasgow expense but if it had been done properly in the first place it wouldn't have cost anything to put right would it?!

Edited by 40-38

I definately think the bends are too tight in relation to speed built up along the relatively long straights. I don't think maajor chnanges are required so it shouldn't be massively expensive.

I suspect the supporters may have to be patient until the club is on a sound financial footing before the changes can be funded? I think DH deserves 2-3 years support from Leicester fans considering he brought the sport back to the city after 30-years? On the flip side perhaps he should be a little more humble given that this situation should not have arisen in the first place given the blank canvas he has to work with?

According to Glyn the total cost for the two ends to be done would be £6000.Problem for Mr Hemsley is that if it carry's on as is he is going to lose that amount and more in gate takings.

LionsDen rightly pointed out that the track was the one thing that had to be got right and it was'nt.My daughter said the cake looks very nice but the filling is rubbish.(or words to that effect)

Edited by Boulger Fan

I definately think the bends are too tight in relation to speed built up along the relatively long straights. I don't think maajor chnanges are required so it shouldn't be massively expensive.

I suspect the supporters may have to be patient until the club is on a sound financial footing before the changes can be funded? I think DH deserves 2-3 years support from Leicester fans considering he brought the sport back to the city after 30-years? On the flip side perhaps he should be a little more humble given that this situation should not have arisen in the first place given the blank canvas he has to work with?

I have to say a very balanced view AAAt Laaaast !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!.........Yes the track may not be perfect ok DH probably did make mistakes but you cant change whats gone. Maybe sack cloth and ashes apology to the supporters is required but if DH isn't that kind of guy then you are not going to get it. Any problems wont be solved overnight and if support dwindles then probably never. The view we will get of the track is in moth balls as we visit beamont Leys shopping centre well at least it is tucked round the back. I can remember sitting in the car on the BBR housing estate while my husband explained to me I couldn't picture it obviously but I have a full pic of BP and I don't want that. If any of you do, whatever greivences you may have with the promoter. Try to hold that thought

I know for some people BP is already dead but is it fair to the rest of the 1500 supporters who don't come on here and winge they just want to be able to go each week.

According to Glyn the total cost for the two ends to be done would be £6000.Problem for Mr Hemsley is that if it carry's on as is he is going to lose that amount and more in gate takings

Lets hope not because no work will get done throught he open season.......Apart from anything wouldn't a reshape have to be licensed???.

Edited by TMW

Nice to see a wider view but i don't see why being humble would make any difference. As I said on another thread it serves no purpose for DH to do a Ratner and say his product is rubbish, well I suppose it would help a load of "told you so's" vent on here :rolleyes: , the time for that would be after changes are made for the better. Perhaps now is time for him to attract more sponsorship to bring in the cash to make whaterver changes can be made to improve things.

Some here sound like they are expecting DH's programme notes to start with "welcome to BP the worst track in the country" :blink:

Did anyone watch the Eastbourne v King's Lynn match on Sky? Mr. Tatum was wetting himself because there were a couple of genuine passing moves after the first couple of bends during fifteen heats of totally boring racing. Another track that's a gater's paradise. I struggled to count up to three hundred spectators in the stadium. So take heed Mr Hemsley.

Tongue in cheek, one way of bringing more passing and excitement at BP would be to re-sign Richard Hall and Ilya Bondorenko. One could come from last to first. The other from first to last!.There you are, problem solved..

JohnD7244

Enjoy Your Speedway.

Let me just say far the prat that said i should stop moaning about the track and go watch something different it is obvious that ther is something wrong here and if Mr Hemsley does not wake up and smell the roses g

It will be to late I hoe not but dont say I did not tell you I told you so

Let me just say far the prat that said i should stop moaning about the track and go watch something different it is obvious that ther is something wrong here and if Mr Hemsley does not wake up and smell the roses g

It will be to late I hoe not but dont say I did not tell you I told you so

Without doubt the posting of the year!!

Under the Forum philosphy that close enough is near enough, the spelling and absence of punctuation rarely earns little more than a wry grin. However when this is combined with a delightful mixed metaphor, it does take on a classic quality. 

Very well done!!!!

Without doubt the posting of the year!!

Under the Forum philosphy that close enough is near enough, the spelling and absence of punctuation rarely earns little more than a wry grin. However when this is combined with a delightful mixed metaphor, it does take on a classic quality. 

Very well done!!!!

Come on Snacks . What constructive input to a thread about Leicester's dodgy track does pulling somebody up about their spelling and punctuation . At least that person is trying to make a point about the matter in hand .

Come on Snacks . What constructive input to a thread about Leicester's dodgy track does pulling somebody up about their spelling and punctuation . At least that person is trying to make a point about the matter in hand .

Gave up commenting on spelling and punctuation ages ago, but the mixed metaphor makes it an absolute delight.

The sad thing is that whatever point the poster was attempting to make was effectively "lost in translation".

Gave up commenting on spelling and punctuation ages ago, but the mixed metaphor makes it an absolute delight.

The sad thing is that whatever point the poster was attempting to make was effectively "lost in translation".

Have you misplaced your English/Gobbledygook translation dictionary then ?

Have you misplaced your English/Gobbledygook translation dictionary then ?

Use it all the time old boy, particularly when north of the border!!!

Use it all the time old boy, particularly when north of the border!!!

Touche , though that volume will have to be pretty thick .

Touche , though that volume will have to be pretty thick .

Indeed, Norfolk is renown for its gobbledygook!!

Indeed, Norfolk is renown for its gobbledygook!!

Anyway , we transgress . So the general consensus would appear to suggest that the track is much the same gate and go animal as it was last year . Such as shame as Leicester has the potential to be one of the best venues in the Premier League . Unfortunately having a duff track hampers that potential somewhat and the sooner the Lions promotion realise that , the better .