British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
robert72

Leicester Track Debate

And you're absolutely spot on too Jawadt500. Great post. All of it.

Sad to say but this short-termism is damaging Leicester Speedway.

When a rational poster like Volty comes on and says what he does then they need to listen. I've had my disagrements with Volty on here previously regarding the way Leicester is run but I respect his opinon and he's definitely not aligned to any separate agenda. He just says what he thinks and having accurately recognised the problem has been brave enough to say so - and in doing so ended up even lumped in with heretics like me and robert72! :lol:

As for Hemsley, to ignore the problems with the track, and this despite having told certain people he would be doing otherwise, just doesn't make sense long term. His programme notes this week were interesting too. He complains about the low attendance aganst Rye House and then goes on to implore everyone to 'spread the word' and tell people what a great night out is to be had at Beaumont Park. Hard for anyone to do that though when you know it not to be true. I invited several new people along last season for their first ever taste of live speedway but none of them have shown the remotest interest in going again. Besides which, he's the promoter. Surely it's HIS job to promote! He says there are lots of people in Leicester who don't even know that a speedway track is there - and he's right. But who's fault is that? He needs to look inwards instead of simply asking everyone else to take action. His PR man is now wearing too many hats, and he himself is a promoter who doesn't promote.

IMO of course!

You're dead right too.

It might be the promoters job to promote, but there is no better form of advertising than word of mouth.

From what I saw against Rye House things have improved but, for all those who criticise Robert's postings, he has a point. Everyone knew the track shape needed to be changed and in Glyn Taylor the club had the man to do it. 'Short term financial pain' in this instance, is most certainly better than the potential alternative.

• Like 1

Hi all,

I found this while looking for some drawings as to how the drains are built at a speedway track. I sort of looks as though the track was laid out to the drawings from the SCB handbook but I don't know if Leicesters track goes with some of the recomended dimensions. I thought someone might be interested if they haven't seen it before.

Going back to the drains, can anyone point me to a section or plan of the the construction of the drains please or maybe a very good description?

Hi all,

I found this while looking for some drawings as to how the drains are built at a speedway track. I sort of looks as though the track was laid out to the drawings from the SCB handbook but I don't know if Leicesters track goes with some of the recomended dimensions. I thought someone might be interested if they haven't seen it before.

Going back to the drains, can anyone point me to a section or plan of the the construction of the drains please or maybe a very good description?

I believe that the drains around the inside line then feed into main drains further infield. I think the drains are quite deep as they have a shale trap. I guess others would know more detail than me though. I'm told by a respected figure that the outer drains do not pose any problem, apparently they can have the new bit of track laid over them and any new drainage can have a angled feed back into the existing system. Like I say I'm no expert but that's what I think i was being told!

I 100% want Leicester Speedway to flourish, so let's hope it gets sorted, I honestly don't want to sound or read posts that are negative, fingers crossed I don't have to be saying the same thing next year.

• Like 1

Hi all,

very interesting reading, doesnt that make the poole track fail the rules, not been there for a long time but isnt the pit gate as you exit the bend ?

I think the drains are very close to the kerbs but it would be the cheaper option to move them than lose regualr fans and many away fans from wanting to visit knowing the problems.

very interesting reading, doesnt that make the poole track fail the rules, not been there for a long time but isnt the pit gate as you exit the bend ?

I think the drains are very close to the kerbs but it would be the cheaper option to move them than lose regualr fans and many away fans from wanting to visit knowing the problems.

I'm sure Chris Louis can give them some advice about moving the drains. Taking the white line in on the straights as well as the bends has been an excellent decision at Ipswich - that alongside the move up to the PL. :party:

I'm sure Chris Louis can give them some advice about moving the drains. Taking the white line in on the straights as well as the bends has been an excellent decision at Ipswich

Have to agree. I saw figures quoted a few posts back of 6 to 10k costs to bring the white line in at Leicester. Maybe there's less work involved there, but the figure quoted for the track work at Foxhall was around the 20k mark.

The club raised 5k of that by doing a "buy a plot of shale" sponsorship scheme which was a great idea. I was one of many who donated and we've all been rewarded with a standard of racing on a consistent basis, far far better than we had to put up with for many years.

It also took 5 to 10 years to become a reality at Ipswich.... so perhaps a little patience is required.

• Like 1

Some of us might not be around in 5 to 10 years time so I'd prefer a bit of urgency rather than patience. :lol:

Some of us might not be around in 5 to 10 years time so I'd prefer a bit of urgency rather than patience. :lol:

And there lies the difference between the casual and the REAL fan!!!

Whether your a casual fan or real fan, as you put it. Both deserve value for money.

You pay for it then. The £15 you 'don't' pay a week wont pay for track changes you will need to move in with '10 grand'. I'm sure you wont be turned away

And there again the written word gets misunderstood. What I meant was I will be 72 in a couple of months time so who knows if I will be around in 5 or 10 years time.

And how very dare you call me a casual fan! :P I have been going to the speedway since I was 8 and started going to Coventry after Leicester shut in 1983, whereas a lot of Lions fans wouldn't set foot in the place. I loved speedway so I did - that's a real fan.

TMW.............. Perhaps when you reach retiring age you will be a bit more sympathetic and realize you don't have a lot of money to throw around. If you have been watching speedway for 28 years at one track then another opens but offers poorer racing would you still pay out another £15 from your pension because it will help towards track changes? How do I know my money would go towards this? There is still a lot of mystery surrounding what happened to the 50% takings from the 2011 press and practice session where everyone was charged £5 to watch. It was supposed to be for the Air Ambulance but has anyone any knowledge of this being handed over?

• Like 1

And there again the written word gets misunderstood. What I meant was I will be 72 in a couple of months time so who knows if I will be around in 5 or 10 years time.

And how very dare you call me a casual fan! :P I have been going to the speedway since I was 8 and started going to Coventry after Leicester shut in 1983, whereas a lot of Lions fans wouldn't set foot in the place. I loved speedway so I did - that's a real fan.

TMW.............. Perhaps when you reach retiring age you will be a bit more sympathetic and realize you don't have a lot of money to throw around. If you have been watching speedway for 28 years at one track then another opens but offers poorer racing would you still pay out another £15 from your pension because it will help towards track changes? How do I know my money would go towards this? There is still a lot of mystery surrounding what happened to the 50% takings from the 2011 press and practice session where everyone was charged £5 to watch. It was supposed to be for the Air Ambulance but has anyone any knowledge of this being handed over?

Someone mentioned the same question a few weeks ago, I am sure that somebody will give us the answer on here, its a great cause and one i support so i await to see how much was raised.and handed over to the air ambulance by leicester speedway.

No disrespect but i'm certainly not in the anti Hemsley camp, slightly shameful of you to say i am being as maybe 290 of the 300 posts i've ever posted on this forum have been defending all the good things David Hemsley has done. I'm actually appalled you put in a camp with Robert72 just because i now believe that they have had time to address the one major stumbling block to a great speedway stadium; the track. Maybe before calling me you might have wished to check my previous posts over the last year to get more rounded view. Grumpy (old) git i may actually be but not ignorant enough to make posts about people that are in equal measures ill founded and ill researched. I'm sure the likes of speedibee, gemini, lionsden et al must find it funny that i'm now classed as one of them!

Mick.

Just as you don't like the idea of being lumped as anti Hemsley , I certainly don't like you thinking you are being classed as anything like me , you are the reason I stopped posting on Leicester threads along with one or 2 others who are so blinded by your rose tinted glasses and pathetic victim culture that you are encouraging Hemsley to run Leicester speedway into the ground . But when that happens it will suit you won't it , when leicester speedway closes because Hemsley listened to all the cretins who simply answered any criticism with childish remarks like we're just glad to have speedway back and Without David there would be no Leicester speedway . you'll be able to say it's our fault that it closed caused because all the negative comments , rather admitting that if Hemsley had been forced to address some of the issues highlighted by the anti Hemsley brigade , maybe there would still be a decent crowd coming to see a winning team and exciting racing and speedway would be flourishing at BP .

• Like 3

Someone mentioned the same question a few weeks ago, I am sure that somebody will give us the answer on here, its a great cause and one i support so i await to see how much was raised.and handed over to the air ambulance by leicester speedway.

Perhaps me because I'd seen a letter in the Mercury from a group of fans about this subject, but I was only told to 'ask him yourself' so I very much doubt if you will get an answer on here. When Chris Popple did his charity speedway ride against Chris Simpson for the Diabetes Society I didn't have to ask him myself how much he raised because it was all above board and there was a photo in the Mercury of him handing the cheque over. Surely it would have been good publicity for Leicester Speedway to be seen giving a cheque to the Air Ambulance but it all seems to have been done on the quiet......if it ever was handed over of course. :wink:

• Like 1