British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Guest compost

Coventry V Southampton On 17th August 1963

Guest compost

I've come across 2 conflicting scores (and sources) for this League match. One says the final score was 43-35 the other says that the final score was amended to 43-33.

Can anyone tell me what the 'correct' score was please and if it was the 43-33 one then why the result was amended and how it was amended (I suspect that if it was amended then it was due to riders going off the wrong handicap) ?

Many thanks.

The 2 points scored by Stan Stevens for Southampton were deducted from the original score. Coventry had objected to the inclusion of Stevens, who was still a New Cross rider. New Cross were closing down, but this had not officially happened at the time the Coventry-Southampton meeting took place, hence Stevens should not have ridden.

Guest compost

The 2 points scored by Stan Stevens for Southampton were deducted from the original score. Coventry had objected to the inclusion of Stevens, who was still a New Cross rider. New Cross were closing down, but this had not officially happened at the time the Coventry-Southampton meeting took place, hence Stevens should not have ridden.

Thanks for the info. I'd thought that the issue was with either Stevens or Golden but couldn't work out which.