British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
speedy bill

Tim Webster

Tim's away average last season was not a true reflection of his abilities, but his away average appears to be the reason Stoke released him, even though his cma was considerably better at the end of the season than the beginning.

As far as I am aware, he wan't offered any help by Stoke to find a new club, he was simply informed he wasn't wanted anymore, a fate that has befallen many other riders over the years, cast out, often by telephone, yet supporters don't think this is selfish?

At that time, I believe finding another club wasn't easy and Buxton offered him a place.

He was unable to practise at Buxton and overcome his apparent shortcomings at that track and it appears highly likely that he would have reversed his averages this season by having good away scores and rubbish home scores because of the lack of opportunity to ride there apart from racedays.

He hasn't, to the best of my knowledge signed for anyone else, so whilst it does leave Mrs. Moss in a predicament, if he had returned scores of four or less all season the supporter base would have been right up his back with armchair criticism and would be abusing Mrs. Moss for ever signing him at all.

One other thing BW Double, I read recently that at Buxton's only home match so far this season, they had to water the track several times during the meeting.

Strangely, I don't remember this happening, but I do remember the toilets had no water to wash your hands and I was told that there was no water to shower with either.

Care to comment on that?

Just to correct a few things Tim approached Buxton for a team spot when he was released by Stoke. Rightly or wrongly we gave him a spot as we knew we were looking for at least one heat leader due to Adam Allott not racing this year. Tim also wanted to be captain again something which we agreed to give him a chance with. As for practising at Buxton the track is available for practice by arrangement with Richard Moss at any time and the only practise he along with the rest of the team couldn't attend was press/practice day as the track was still partly under snow.

With regards to water in the toilets this only applied to the men's and I believe there was hand sanitiser available instead. Unfortunately the showers suffered a burst pipe which put them out of action. Would be surprised anyone wanted to use them anyway as it was far too cold to be undressed.

Edited by Jayne
  • Like 2

Just to correct a few things Tim approached Buxton for a team spot when he was released by Stoke. Rightly or wrongly we gave him a spot as we knew we were looking for at least one heat leader due to Adam Allott not racing this year. Tim also wanted to be captain again something which we agreed to give him a chance with. As for practising at Buxton the track is available for practice by arrangement with Richard Moss at any time and the only practise he along with the rest of the team couldn't attend was press/practice day as the track was still partly under snow.

With regards to water in the toilets this only applied to the men's and I believe there was hand sanitiser available instead. Unfortunately the showers suffered a burst pipe which put them out of action. Would be surprised anyone wanted to use them anyway as it was far too cold to be undressed.

Thank you for correcting my misapprehensions, I appreciate that.

Tim's away average last season was not a true reflection of his abilities, but his away average appears to be the reason Stoke released him, even though his cma was considerably better at the end of the season than the beginning.

As far as I am aware, he wan't offered any help by Stoke to find a new club, he was simply informed he wasn't wanted anymore, a fate that has befallen many other riders over the years, cast out, often by telephone, yet supporters don't think this is selfish?

At that time, I believe finding another club wasn't easy and Buxton offered him a place.

He was unable to practise at Buxton and overcome his apparent shortcomings at that track and it appears highly likely that he would have reversed his averages this season by having good away scores and rubbish home scores because of the lack of opportunity to ride there apart from racedays.

He hasn't, to the best of my knowledge signed for anyone else, so whilst it does leave Mrs. Moss in a predicament, if he had returned scores of four or less all season the supporter base would have been right up his back with armchair criticism and would be abusing Mrs. Moss for ever signing him at all.

One other thing BW Double, I read recently that at Buxton's only home match so far this season, they had to water the track several times during the meeting.

Strangely, I don't remember this happening, but I do remember the toilets had no water to wash your hands and I was told that there was no water to shower with either.

Care to comment on that?

By enlarge that is a very good post OldSparky but Webster wouldn't have decided he couldn't ride the track overnight so as has been asked why sign in the first place?. Practising for all riders who don't live down the road is difficult as it is expensive and time consuming as most of the riders of Websters ilk hold down full time jobs to fund their speedway. I maintain that a ride is a ride you are not in NL to make your fortune. It;s better than having to pay for practice sessions and Amateur meetings which are expensive. at least riding in the NL you get some of your money back and I'm sure Jayne and Richard would have allowed practice time after the meetings when they aren't playing host to the NJL and the supporters would have seen him trying. Apart from this a good post and I do Hope Tim goes on to find what he is looking for.

How often do riders get sacked for no reason other than their average doesn't fit? It's only fair that rider can walk out for frivolous reasons too.

Interesting topic! After noticing this earlier I had to go read the article in the speedway star in my newsagents.

I assume Tim spoke to more clubs than just Buxton this winter & can only assume that the Hitmen were the only club to offer him a deal. I wonder if after his decent performances for us Islanders he thought he might get the chance to replace Nick? I know we declared Hughes on the 16th but we haven't exactly publicised it.

As to some of the names of riders mentioned, Allott is just doing short track this year, I think Evans has retired, Herne has stayed in Australia & Hargreaves has taken a year out. Maybe Benji Compton, Lee Smethills or James Brundle, or even Darren Mallett if he's fit yet?? I think it's a bit drastic to suggest the Hitmen might use another 3 pointer, even riders like Aaron Baseby may not be a heat leader but can certainly improve his average.

How often do riders get sacked for no reason other than their average doesn't fit? It's only fair that rider can walk out for frivolous reasons too.

But is that the supporters fault?. Are the riders riding for the club or the supporters?. Or themselves. On the flipside if he doesn't think he could score many points he would be down on points money.

Having read Jayne,s comments on the situation,i will just say,they must be etremealy dissapointed with Tims decision, one thing that Buxton have in there favour is with the weather forcast i have just seen,they will have a week os so,to try and sort something out, the biggest problem that they probably have, is trying to fit someone in, within the averages available, and not having to let another rider go, to fit in ie re-declare, 3 riders Jon Armo armstrong, Chris Mills and Lee Smart.

Edited by greyhoundp

I've always wanted Lee Smart to ride for Buxton as he rarely drops points around the Buxton track and his average would fit (if my maths is right). Quick calculations say Lee is 10.60 and Buxton have 10.93 to play with.

i dont know about no water in toilets only what i was told by a rider who would have had a shower if any water came out of the taps jayne if you ever rode speedway you would appreciate a shower after a meeting. riders who will ride for 10 and 10 are very rare in speedway i guess.have we got a rider yet i will wait till i find out before traveling on sunday.if its a three pointer i will not waste my money golng.

Edited by bw double

How about Jon Armstrong, good captain and always goes well round Buxton

Not eligible due to the one rider over 30 rule.

i dont know about no water in toilets only what i was told by a rider who would have had a shower if any water came out of the taps jayne if you ever rode speedway you would appreciate a shower after a meeting. riders who will ride for 10 and 10 are very rare in speedway i guess.have we got a rider yet i will wait till i find out before traveling on sunday.if its a three pointer i will not waste my money golng.

I guess its safe to say I'm not going to be ever riding speedway but that doesn't mean I can't have an opinion. Perhaps if all riders treated facilities with respect then we may be more inclined to maintain them. As for riders being prepared to race for the league pay scale they are indeed a rarity especially when other teams offer much more money. One rider we approached was quite happy to ride but required £25 per point so that was a no go for us although other teams in the league seem quite happy with those sorts of demands.

I've always wanted Lee Smart to ride for Buxton as he rarely drops points around the Buxton track and his average would fit (if my maths is right). Quick calculations say Lee is 10.60 and Buxton have 10.93 to play with.

Well a team should always go for the best available rider, Lee Smarts average has to put him in as the best available rider, if he is ready and willing, he will probably view this as his last chance to make a go of it in Speedway, it will put him in the shop window, and make Buxton stronger than having Tim in the Team, so this decision could be a win win for Lee Smart and Buxton, I know he has done one or two amateur meetings, so £10 a point would be viewed as better than nowt, which could perhaps be increased if there was a sponsorship deal that could be made available, he certainly would score well, especially with a few TRs lol, and lets be honest. theres a lot worse places to be driving to on a nice Sunday afternoon. :lol:

Edited by greyhoundp

The Tim Webster problem could not have happened to a nicer set of people in British Speedway. From my many visits to High Edge as a Hitman fan when Adam Allott was still a young lad and as a Heathens fan I have always found Jayne, Richard & the late Ken Moss great people!

Now I have said that....I thought Lee Smart was still too injured with a shoulder problem to ride league speedway in 2012 according to the Speedway Star so changed to Short Track where he got hurt again? Hope I am wrong!

It's a brave chap who strips off and has a shower in Buxton and worthy of everyone's admiration :t: Brrrrrrrrrrrrrr

Edited by TMW

The Tim Webster problem could not have happened to a nicer set of people in British Speedway. From my many visits to High Edge as a Hitman fan when Adam Allott was still a young lad and as a Heathens fan I have always found Jayne, Richard & the late Ken Moss great people!

Now I have said that....I thought Lee Smart was still too injured with a shoulder problem to ride league speedway in 2012 according to the Speedway Star so changed to Short Track where he got hurt again? Hope I am wrong!

If thats true, then that leaves Chris Mills, yes i know he is riding for the brummies.but that is only short term, and he doesnt have a PL Team,Im sure he has an average that would fit, would distance be a problem ?.