British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
djp45

What Is Going On At Leicester ?

Lets be honest it was hardly a sun break on saturday i think we had the interval 1 race earlier because the sun had come out.

I would call Somerset match a sun break & the newcastle match the interval which was the same length as normal interval after heat 11

Funny if Leicester City or LCCC had won their last 5 home matches :blink: everyone would be over the moon but in the wonderful world of speedway we are still talking about the fact the meeting get's interrupted by the sun.

In the words of Joan Jett "Why can't we be happy"

:mad:

So what is going on at leicester ?

Well the riders are refusing to ride when its Sunny,leaving the fans having to stand and wait till the sun goes down,it didnt happen last season so why are riders not wanting to ride when the sun is out this season?

I thought you had crawled back under your stone.

I dont remember this happening last season ?

That's because you're thick.

• Like 2

So what is going on at leicester ?

Well the riders are refusing to ride when its Sunny,leaving the fans having to stand and wait till the sun goes down,it didnt happen last season so why are riders not wanting to ride when the sun is out this season?

I can’t understand why people are moaning about the so called “sun break” are you true fans or Gaullists who want to see the riders injured.

Imagine if you are driving along the road turn a bend and the sun is straight in your face you are blind for a second but you can lower the sun visor and restore your vision, but when a speedway rider gets blinded by the sun he can’t see the fence or another rider and one second without vision could result in a horrific accident.

We have seen enough injuries in speedway this year and I for one do not begrudge a 10 minute break from racing to ensure a riders safety, there is a lot you can do like a trip to the food out let or go for a comfort break

There were 2 or 3 breaks for sun last season. This year there have been 2 already. The first was at the request of the Somerset riders and it was pretty obvious they came off far ealier than any time it happened last season resulting in close to an hours waiting. A betting man might put money on the fact Somerset were struggling like mad in the first few heats it added to their need to come off but let's give them benefit of the doubt.

Last weekend the "sun off" was used as the interval so no real problem.

Riders aren't refusing to ride when it's sunny just a little concerned about going into tight bends and not being able to see anything because they are blinded by the glare. No disrepect to you but I personally would rather wait 10 to 20 minutes for the sun to go down (during the interval) than spend the same time if not more while paramedics attend to a rider stuck in the airfence or worse.

Cheers

Warren

Nobody wants to see a rider injured but halting a meeting for sun is a joke, do other motorsports stop because of sun, what about tinted google lenses being used.and too be honest i have never known this happen in speedway other than at leicester.

So speedway cannot be run if it rains,snows or if its sunny at leicester ? :lol:

Nobody wants to see a rider injured but halting a meeting for sun is a joke, do other motorsports stop because of sun, what about tinted google lenses being used.and too be honest i have never known this happen in speedway other than at leicester.

So speedway cannot be run if it rains,snows or if its sunny at leicester ? :lol:

You say you have never known it happen other than at Leicester, i was looking at a meeting updates site from a meeting at Workington, i think it was last week when the updater said 'racing resuming after a sun break'. Surely riders safety is the most important thing & the last thing anyone wants is an accident that could so easily be avoided.

Anyway as Fanmale so brilliantly put it last week why would it bother you, because as you take great delight in telling us ' you no longer go'.

i've also been to quite a few meetings at Somerset where racing is halted until the sun goes down on the fourth bend... As a spectator that sits on the 3rd/4th bend banking, then it's difficult to see at times the riders coming out of the apex of the turn and onto the home straight until you've re-adjusted your vision because of the low sun.

I'd reclassify it as stopping racing for reduced vision... If a rider can't see, he can't ride or race.

Now Glasgow a couple of years ago... That was a sun-off! :rofl:

You say you have never known it happen other than at Leicester, i was looking at a meeting updates site from a meeting at Workington, i think it was last week when the updater said 'racing resuming after a sun break'. Surely riders safety is the most important thing & the last thing anyone wants is an accident that could so easily be avoided.

Anyway as Fanmale so brilliantly put it last week why would it bother you, because as you take great delight in telling us ' you no longer go'.

I've known it at Mildenhall

That's because you're thick.

Or never went!!!!

I find it amusing at some of the dumb replies from the normal leicester idiots on here, racing has gone on with sunshine for decades and if there has been a few sun offs lately then is it the riders are getting soft or cannot afford tinted glasses, nobody has mentioned a riders lack of sight when the goggles are filled in with dirt and riders are going into the corner with hardly any vision until they can rip a tear off away when they are coming out of a bend.

How many other motorsports are halted due to sun ?

Before anyone states the rider safety issue again, then of course it comes first but i find it hard that some of them are Not willing to get on with it by using the tinted goggles that would be ok to race in any sunshine

I find it amusing at some of the dumb replies from the normal leicester idiots on here, racing has gone on with sunshine for decades and if there has been a few sun offs lately then is it the riders are getting soft or cannot afford tinted glasses, nobody has mentioned a riders lack of sight when the goggles are filled in with dirt and riders are going into the corner with hardly any vision until they can rip a tear off away when they are coming out of a bend.

Before anyone states the rider safety issue again, then of course it comes first but i find it hard that some of them are Not willing to get on with it by using the tinted goggles that would be ok to race in any sunshine

Totally wrong and it has alays been an issue. At KL, not only does the sun come from the direction of the pits, but it also stop riders seeing the green light column on the fence side of the track at the start of the race. Most other tracks that I have been too in the summer months, has at some stage a stoppage to allow for the sun to be less a nuisence. Stoke has always had regular sunbreaks.

The issue with goggles filling up are just part and parcel of the sport, and part of the skill of not getting filled in by getting to the front earlier. You can't avoid that but you do have complimentary measures such a tearoffs and windons.. A sunbreak can be included and utilised as a track grading.

Riders do use different goggle lenses depending on conditions but even tinted lenses cant always cope with the glare of the sun.

Riders do use different goggle lenses depending on conditions but even tinted lenses cant always cope with the glare of the sun.

I think the problem, if i remember correctly, is that the danger occurs when they go from bright sunlight into shadows & the few seconds it takes for the eyes to adjust, it's the adjustment from bright sunshine to shadows or vice versa that is the main problem not necessarily just the sun, at the somerset meeting the racing was stopped when the shadows started as the riders hit the 3rd bend, so meaning their eyes were trying to adjust from sunlight to shadow as they entered the bend ,which is not good if someone goes down in front of you. I am sure that was the reason given by Chris Popple on the mic. when he was explaining the reason for the delay.

It is dangerous going from sun to shade and shade to sun, just ask any rider doing 200 mph at the isle of Mann tt with brick walls each side of them going under the trees or between houses. They are always stopping the racing because of this. Oh no sorry they don't. In all seriousness though a quick break isnt really the end of the world, and any real fan would be gutted if one or any rider was seriously hurt.

This thread has run it's cousre now I think. It was originally about Jason Attwood leaving and Glyn Taylor coming back and was a decent debate for a while and in my opinion got locked when certain posts deserved to be replied to. Glad it was opened again.

Now if all that's going on a Leicester is they have to come off for sunshine and use that time for an interval this really is a "nothing to see here" thread and should be put out of it's misery. Unlike some on here I agree with "some" of Robert 72's opinions but this now seems like moaning for the sake of it because there's nothing else to commnet on.

Lock this and put anything worthwhile in the Leicester 2012 thread

Edited by bornagainlion
  • Like 1