British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
dtc

Time For A Revamp Of The Gp's?

As unlikely as it is, this system could result in a rider winning all 12 rounds and not being World Champion. Is that a good system?

ANYONE winning 12 rounds would more than deserve to be World Champion.

• Like 1

As unlikely as it is, this system could result in a rider winning all 12 rounds and not being World Champion. Is that a good system?

Even more unlikely, a rider could become World Champ without winning a single race. Finish second in every heat, semi and final with different winners of all the finals and it's job done!

They would, I completely agree. Such an eventuality is more than likely never going to happen but it is still possible. And that's where it is flawed. In all other GP events the winner of each round gets the most points so why does speedway have to mess with logic and common sense?

They would, I completely agree. Such an eventuality is more than likely never going to happen but it is still possible. And that's where it is flawed. In all other GP events the winner of each round gets the most points so why does speedway have to mess with logic and common sense?

but if you compare with say Moto GP or Formula I, in those events there is only one race per GP. So the winner of that one race is the winner of the GP, and understandably, gets the most points.

Speedway GP, the riders have five to seven races, the best rider on the night (i.e. the one who does the best in all races) is likely to finish with the most points, BUT will not neccesarily be the rider who wins the final, and hence the GP. I have no issue with this,

Of course, another way to look at it would be to say that "qualifying" in Formula I is the same as the first 20 heats of the Speedway GP, but I'm not sure you can really compare the two like that.

the counter-example to your suggested points system though would be that a rider could win 72 races and finish 2nd in 12 others over a season, and miss out on the world title to someone who won 12 races, finished second in 60 and last in 12.

both are equally unlikely IMHO, and i don't belive "extreme" examples are the best way to prove/dis-prove a particular system.

All I'm saying is that the winner of the GP should also be the rider with the most points. It has always been that way until recent years and my points system above would ensure that.

RIDERS on Saturday said the track was perfect. Not too slick, not too grippy, very smooth, no ruts. What more do you want?

Hi Phil,

it's just another angle on things, we know some riders favour the slick and also with the grip, but we rarely get to see the latter in action. At the end of the day the riders have to adapt to all track conditions, but we never get to physically see this as most of the tracks are slick (lets be honest, 75% of GPs are slick lately)

Hi Phil,

it's just another angle on things, we know some riders favour the slick and also with the grip, but we rarely get to see the latter in action. At the end of the day the riders have to adapt to all track conditions, but we never get to physically see this as most of the tracks are slick (lets be honest, 75% of GPs are slick lately)

Wouldn't that mean 25% are not slick?

Wouldn't that mean 25% are not slick?

Haha good call - I mean 25% of them are race-able and provide fairly decent racing. In my opinion a lot of GP racing is processional as the tracks are too slick.

This year I've gotten back into my speedway after a couple of years not watching it. I am enjoying it but i think it needs to learn from other sports to make it more exciting and bring the new riders through.

1 A bonus prize for a maximum (or the prize topped up) to 24000, pounds, euros, dollars, złoty etc dependant on the host country.

I've looked thru the results and a maximum has happened around 6 times since the currant format was started. This would make the riders fight for each point rather than settling for second place, especially in the semis. (Snooker and darts both have bonus structures similar to this and they make the players try to to achive the maximum when they are close.)

2 A GP2 seriies to also act as qualifier for the GP,fully televised maybe on the friday night before the gp in new countries or the host country near to the GP, similar format to the gps with rotation of 16 riders from 24 ish with bias towards the host countrys riders. So in the uk it could be in Somerset. A final at the end of the season for a qualification for the GP with the bottom 7 GP riders from last year and top from GP2.

3 Involve more countrys this year there are 3 in Poland I know speedway is huge there but 3 is too many. Bring back Germany, Slovenia maybe add Australia, USA etc.

Hold up, Pearson continually screams how "every point is vital" are you telling us that is not the case and Pearson is wrong?

Even more unlikely, a rider could become World Champ without winning a single race. Finish second in every heat, semi and final with different winners of all the finals and it's job done!

That's the case in many motor sports. Also one wouldn't need to finish as high as second in every race either.

You can lose a tennis match yet win the most points

You can score the most runs in a cricket match yet still lose under the DL rules

You can win a badminton match and score less points

You can win a table tennis match yet score less points

Not if they only win 12 races all year compared to someone else who wins all but 12 races.

It is quite obvious that a shake up is needed. All Poles,Swedes,Danes need to be banned for at least five years(oh and Yanks and Russians) and all eleven rounds need to be run in the UK.

The federations of the banned nations will be required to pay all the costs of these meetings so that all income from them can go directly to the BSPA due to the wine cellar for the AGM running dangerously low. Of course the BSPA will promise to set aside a tenner for the development of young British talent unless of course ther has been a run on the 1972 Chablis forcing a price spike.

All I'm saying is that the winner of the GP should also be the rider with the most points. It has always been that way until recent years and my points system above would ensure that.

That way there would have been some GPs where we already have a winner before the final. Genius.

Edited by falcace

I've given this some thought, I now think riders should get a point for makings the semis, they shuold also get a point for scoring a point. They should ago get 6 points for turning up to the meeting. And 3 points for wearing a helmet.

The fact they should be doing these things anyway is irrelevant, lets just reward everyone. Oh and all points will be removed after the penultimate round to give everyone a chance of winning the title, it's not fair that someone may have had a bad year that they cant win the title - We should call it the "one of World final", people will flock to it.