British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Bruiser McHuge

Speedway Leagues 1978

i started watching speedway in 1978..i can remember it well but i have very vague memories of what teams made up the then Britsh League and the National League in 1978...i wasn't very old !!

can anybody remember what teams were in the 2 leagues in 1978 and who the number 1 rider was in each of those teams ?........cheers

In their finishing order

Gulf British League

Coventry 54pts (Ole Olsen 10.57)

Belle Vue 52pts (Peter Collins 10.41)

Hull 46pts (Ivan Mauger 9.77)

Wimbledon 45pts (Larry Ross 9.29)

Cradley Heath 43pts (Steve Bastable 9.52)

Ipswich 43pts (Billy Sanders 9.94)

Exeter 41pts (Scott Autrey 10.40)

Sheffield 40pts (Doug Wyer 9.35)

Bristol 38pts (Phil Crump 9.92)

Poole 37pts (malcolm Simmons 10.77)

Leicester 34pts (John Titman 8.94)

Halifax 31pts (Ian Cartwright 8.35)

King's Lynn 30pts (Michael Lee 10.23)

Reading 29pts (Dave Jessup 10.20)

White City 27pts (Gordon Kennett 9.52)

Swindon 27pts (Bob Kilby 8.44)

Wolverhampton 23pts (Hans Nielsen 8.96)

Birmingham 21pts (Phil Herne 8.56)

Hackney 19pts (Finn Thomsen 7.70)

National League

Canterbury 60pts (Les Rumsey 9.81)

Newcastle 60pts (Tom Owen 10.82)

Rye House 54pts (Ted Hubbard 9.32)

Eatsbourne 51pts (Mike Sampson 9.74)

Ellesmere Port 48pts (John Jackson 10.36)

Peterborough 5pts (Dave Gooderham 8.36)

Oxford 44pts (George Hunter 9.53)

Stoke 43pts (Tony Lomas 9.07)

Glasgow 39pts (Steve Lawson 7.93)

Crayford 34pts (Laurie Etheridge 9.34)

Berwick 34pts (Graham Jones 8.79)

Mildenhall 33pts (Ray Bales 9.12)

Weymouth 32pts (Danny Kennedy 9.16)

Workington 32pts (Arthur Price 8.63)

Edinburgh 31pts (Rob Hollingsworth 7.39)

Milton Keynes 30pts (Bob Humphreys 10.59)

Boston 28pts (Gary Guglielmi 8.38)

Teeside 24pts (Steve Wilcock 7.94)

Scunthorpe 20pts (Nicky Allott 9.03)

Barrow 18pts (Charlie Monk 8.21)

Hope this helps.

some great teams names from the past here.

Edited by Robbie B

it does, cheers....jogs a lot of memories for me..and it's amazing the number of tracks there were and how many are no longer with us

a lot of good riders as well

And SIX riders in the top division with averages over 10!! I wonder how many they'll be at the end of this season..?

With tactical substitutes, the same race and gate position format and bonus points included my guess is about the same percentage.

Edited by Grachan

Please use internet explorer and click on: http://www.historyspeedway.nstrefa.pl/dmwb.php#f1978

There are final tables and averages for all riders.

And SIX riders in the top division with averages over 10!! I wonder how many they'll be at the end of this season..?

Chris Morton (Belle Vue) also had a ten point average of 10.11

yes..i definitely remember visiting number 1's coming to Hyde Road and taking the same gate in every race...some had five gate 1's....some had five gate 4's depending on their preference....it would certainly help with getting a higher average that's for sure....although you did feel for the second string who never had a decent gate choice all night !

Please use internet explorer and click on: http://www.historysp.../dmwb.php#f1978

There are final tables and averages for all riders.

Very good, but they've missed 1967 out, when the Robins last won the league!!!! So many English riders in top of averages, the good old days :t:

Yes, I doubt it'll reach six - and that's in a watered down league... that has already been heavily diluted several times before!

Back in my day - that's the 70s and 80s - teams were more or less full of solid heatleaders, good second strings and competent reserves. Nowadays, if it's the Elite League we're comparing it to, then that league is muscled up with men from the current second tier.

actually seven, if you include Chris Morton.

This season,on a like for like basis (i.e. including bonus points) I think there will be two - Holder and Ward.

But... if the same heat format had been in effect in 1978, and gate positions were fixed, I think at most two would have averaged over 10. And, given that there were twice as many teams in 1978, I guess that proves that there is a greater concentration of top riders in the EL these days....

actually seven, if you include Chris Morton.

This season,on a like for like basis (i.e. including bonus points) I think there will be two - Holder and Ward.

But... if the same heat format had been in effect in 1978, and gate positions were fixed, I think at most two would have averaged over 10. And, given that there were twice as many teams in 1978, I guess that proves that there is a greater concentration of top riders in the EL these days....

If only there were a greater concentration of top riders in Britain. Most of the GP riders have deserted to Poland and Sweden for more dosh. Just 6 ride here now.Holder and Lindgren the only top riders.

that awkward moment when your sarcasm is so advanced that people actually think that you are stupid...

• Like 2

For anyone interested in speedway in the 1970s, the Speedway Fiction website is well worth a visit.

In addition to their own books, they have lots of pages covering League tables, rider averages, speedway magazines, headlines and stories from the decade.

There are rider autographs, fiction from books and comics and features on the Seventies themselves.

Great stuff if you are a fan of British speedway's greatest days!

https://www.speedwayfiction.co.uk