British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Main Man

Halifax Withdraw From Mdl + Njl

HALIFAX DUKES WITHDRAW FROM MDL + NJL

19TH June 2012

The Midland Development League and Northern Junior League have been hit mid-season by the withdrawal from both competitions of the Halifax Dukes team.

The Dukes have had a torrid start to the MDL losing all three matches to date scoring just 26 points and conceding 77.

They were due to race at Buxton on Sunday in a NJL against Berwick and although the teams were present and bikes in the pits the clash was called off .

Within 36 hours of this the MDL and NJL were informed by club organizer Geoff Hayes that after consideration he was withdrawing the Dukes from both leagues. Efforts were made to get him to change his mind and offers of help made but he has stuck by his decision.

The MDL management committee has decided to expunge the Halifax results from the records and three clubs –Long Eaton, Sheffield and Coventry-Mercia have had their points deducted and a new league table issued.

League co-ordinator Kelvin Lapworth believes this was the fairest way to handle the situation, “ At this stage of the season it would not be practical to try to introduce a replacement team so we will continue with the seven remaining clubs. We have amended the results accordingly with three clubs affected adversely by this.”

“ We wish Geoff every success with finding a site for the Dukes in the future but for now the club name unfortunately has again been lost to the sport.”

• Like 1

HALIFAX DUKES WITHDRAW FROM MDL + NJL

19TH June 2012

The Midland Development League and Northern Junior League have been hit mid-season by the withdrawal from both competitions of the Halifax Dukes team.

The Dukes have had a torrid start to the MDL losing all three matches to date scoring just 26 points and conceding 77.

They were due to race at Buxton on Sunday in a NJL against Berwick and although the teams were present and bikes in the pits the clash was called off .

Within 36 hours of this the MDL and NJL were informed by club organizer Geoff Hayes that after consideration he was withdrawing the Dukes from both leagues. Efforts were made to get him to change his mind and offers of help made but he has stuck by his decision.

The MDL management committee has decided to expunge the Halifax results from the records and three clubs –Long Eaton, Sheffield and Coventry-Mercia have had their points deducted and a new league table issued.

League co-ordinator Kelvin Lapworth believes this was the fairest way to handle the situation, “ At this stage of the season it would not be practical to try to introduce a replacement team so we will continue with the seven remaining clubs. We have amended the results accordingly with three clubs affected adversely by this.”

“ We wish Geoff every success with finding a site for the Dukes in the future but for now the club name unfortunately has again been lost to the sport.”

Really sorry to hear that as they were a part of the initial JL set up that has gone on to help so many lads gain confidence and good meaningful racing. Rules as possibly very tight now which can make it difficult to operate on occasions. Thank you Geoff for the work you have done.

Running in two different junior leagues must have been stretching resources.

As posted above, BSPA have introduced this year restrictions on who can contest even amateur league racing.

Halifax Dukes were very welcome and enthusiastic competitors in the NJL of both 2010 and 2011.

Very sad.

Why was it called off?

Seems a bit silly to close a club mid-meeting. If all the riders had travelled to be there surely it would make sense to let them ride and close the club the next day, rather than disappoint riders who may have travelled a long way to ride.

• Like 1

Why was it called off?

Seems a bit silly to close a club mid-meeting. If all the riders had travelled to be there surely it would make sense to let them ride and close the club the next day, rather than disappoint riders who may have travelled a long way to ride.

There was an issue at Leicester the other week where 4 riders turned up for Stoke but only 2 rode one had bike problems and one crashed out in his first heat and riders can only ride 4 heats. I am only guessing but there may have been a problem where the ref wouldn't allow the meeting to go ahead.a rider was stopped last year because of licence issues. So I wouldn't put the onas on the teams but it would be interesting to know what happened. Hopefully the meeting was closed and let the lads have a practice so they didn't have a wasted journey eh!!!!!!!

Edited by TMW

Am a bit confused.

I know the MDL has been having matches this season (indeed sounds like it's all going extremely well generally in the MDL..) but has the NJL actually started with any fixtures yet..? And which teams compete in the NJL..?

What's confusing you?

Unlike the southern copyists (and we in the north are flattered to be imitated) the NJL is now in the third year of operation, and is indeed running happily, despite a number of rain-offs, like everywhere else.

The NJL never starts until June, prefering to concentrate the schedule into the longer, lighter and hopefully warmer evenings.

The competitors are Edinburgh, Berwick, Workington and Redcar, following Halifax's withdrawal.

I am told the problem on Sunday was between the people running the Dukes and Buxton, outwith the league's control.

Er, well I was asking a simple question really... Have there been any fixtures yet in this season's NJL and which teams are in it.

I think you've answered that - though it's nearly the end of June now so I'm STILL not too sure if they're been any matches yet..?

As far as I'm aware Parsnips old fruit, the NJL is an amateur competition involving three riders a side competing over four heats. Matches normally take place, given the info I have, in the "lighter, drier evenings of summer" and given our weather so far, I very much doubt if any have taken place! I could be wrong though*** so, by the looks of it, you'll have to remain "a bit confused" although perhaps not as confused as you were prior to this and 'Crescent Girl's' postings! :wink: :wink:

*** And was wrong! See Mike Butler's posting below and this week's Speedway Star! :oops:

Edited by Bryn

Last night's result from NJL. REDCAR STOCKTON VAN CENTRE CUBS 14 BERWICK BORDERERS 4.

MATCH ABANDONED AFTER HEAT 3 DUE TO SERIOUS INJURY TO JOHN MCPHAIL (BERWICK)

CUBS SCORERS ...DAN PHILLIPS 6 FROM 2 RIDES, PETER JOHNSON 5 + 1 ( 2) MARTY RATHBONE 3 +1 (2)

BORDERERS..........JOHN MCPHAIL 3 (2), RIKI ANDERSON 1 (2) LIAM CARR 0 (2)

For info...Redcar have ridden 2 challenge matches against Workington plus the aforementioned Edinbrugh match so the N.J.L. is running very nicely now thank you.

Best wishes to John for speedy recovery.