British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
TonyK39

Heathens V Buxton 26/6/12

It must be very daunting for Buxton's team to appear at Monmore against such an excellent strong side.

When the teams were introduced, Buxton received no applause whatsoever, almost complete silence (no booing though, to be fair).

Buxton were swamped from the outset although never stopped trying.

I felt very sorry for them and such defeats can do nothing to encourage their riders.

It does seem that some Buxton riders are in desperate need of mentors and help.

Looking around at Monmore one sees schemes and money making efforts to help the riders, photographic sessions with riders, it is almost like intruding upon an extended family's summer party but what's wrong with that?

The shame is that other clubs are not enjoying such cameraderie.

Some clubs, appear to actively discourage any sort of relationship between the club and supporters.

How many Buxton supporters even bothered to go last night?

Well done to the Heathens they deserve it after a couple of heartbeaking seasons. I know they were winning but enjoyed a bit of banter with the Heathen supporters best of luck for the rest of the season. Heat 1 was called back because the tapes went up squeueif and the start was uneven.

Ahh somebody that knows what happened in heat 1. Standing almost in line with the start gate I had no idea.

Glad you enjoyed the evening, and thanks for the best wishes.

Sounds like from the updates heat 15 was a cracking race.

Robert, Ash and Tom seem to put on a few good races a season, i remember watching a good one last year.

Robert and Ash in particular are never far apart.

Hopefully Robert might get an invite to the Golden Hammer this season.

Chopper

It was the race of the season for me. Places were swapped a number of times. Ash and Rob were very close to each other a few times, but were controlled and fair to each other by leaving enough room to race hard but safely.

Despite the scoreline there were some good races, though obviously quite a lot were comfortable for the Heathens lads. Tom, Ash, Byron and Darryl all had at least one good ride coming through from the back, with James and Dan involved in heats with passing too.

I'd be happy to see Rob added the GH line-up but places are quite limited. I know Richie and Micky Dyer are in and I think Smarty may get an invite that I doubt he'll turn down. I suspect some other former Heathens riders from the last couple of years might get an invite too. I'd like to see a really strong field so I'm hoping we'll see as many as possible out of the like of Garrity (we love to boo him - lol), Hughes, Birks, Heeps etc.

It must be very daunting for Buxton's team to appear at Monmore against such an excellent strong side.

When the teams were introduced, Buxton received no applause whatsoever, almost complete silence (no booing though, to be fair).

I felt very sorry for them and such defeats can do nothing to encourage their riders.

It does seem that some Buxton riders are in desperate need of mentors and help.

Looking around at Monmore one sees schemes and money making efforts to help the riders, photographic sessions with riders, it is almost like intruding upon an extended family's summer party but what's wrong with that?

The shame is that other clubs are not enjoying such cameraderie.

Some clubs, appear to actively discourage any sort of relationship between the club and supporters.

How many Buxton supporters even bothered to go last night?

That's a good post with a few points well made. I would just like to add that although there was nothing more than a ripple of acknowledgement for the Buxton riders on parade there was plenty of appreciation for them once the action got under way. Each of the fallers were applauded for the attempts to clear the track and there was applause for Richard as he got up and walked away from his nasty looking crash.

On the flip side to your comment that they were on a hiding to nothing I would say that the Buxton lads can go into meetings against the stronger teams with absolutely nothing to lose. There's no pressure or expectation on them. Anything they get out of it is a bonus, and quite a significant one too. I was genuinely disappointed for Ryan, for example, when he fell on the last lap while third. For 3¼ laps he'd ridden a better race than Dan, because Dan screwed up the first turn. It would have been reward for the undoubted effort he was putting in. Hopefully he learns from it though, and next time he's in a similar position he'll just settle down and complete the race safely. And when that happens it could prove a vital point for his club and the experience against the Heathens will have proven a worthwhile one.

As I said recently I have nothing but respect for what Buxton do up there so my best wishes to the club and everyone involved. Fingers crossed it won't be too long until they drop on the right riders at the right time and have another good season like 2010.

--------------------------------

As for the Heathens riders, well what can I say. Stunning form at the moment. The lads are just riding on the crest of a wave. The biggest problem for Nigel, Patch, Will and Jan O is making sure they keep the lads well grounded and don't let any sort of complacency start to creep in. There are some other good teams and some very good riders around. There are tougher tests to come and still a long way to go. This form will mean absolutely nothing if there's no more silverware by the end of the season. The riders must stay focussed. But for today, put your feet up and enjoy it lads. :party:

I don't think I said that Buxton were on a hiding to nothing?

They beat Stoke at home a while ago and on that occasion appeared strong and confident, but the previous night appeared lost at Stoke.

The reason I am watching them is in the hope that they find their way and at least perform to their averages gaining some self confidence again.

Like you, I can only admire Ryan, he falls so often, almost always in the same way, yet usually gets back on and keeps trying often picking a point up.

No-one can doubt his commitment, but I wish that someone knowledgable would help him with his technique, he deserves to do well, because he is a brave lad and never, ever gives up.

Robert Branford is among the best riders in NL, but at present seems a just little off pace, last nights heat 15 excepted.

Buxton are capable of so much better, but batterings like they received last night and last week will only make it harder for them to pick their heads up.

I was paraphrasing, It wasn't meant to be seen as a direct quote. I was only referring to last night in response to the following which I read to mean that you, like I, felt that there was never likely to be a chance of them taking a point away from the meeting.

I think the fact that they did beat Stoke shows two things. Firstly, and most importantly, they are capable of more and can be a very decent unit on their day. Also, I think it shows that the Heathens are dominant at the moment.

Buxton don't have to look back far for a little comfort. In the early part of last season we beat them with a bit to spare. By the latter part of the season they beat us on our track, and did so with great ease.

Such is the way with this league. Riders can improve suddenly and dramatically or confidence can be completely shattered just a quickly. It's the reason I'm so guarded against getting carried away with results so far.

Four of that Buxton team were in the Hitmen side that walloped Dudley 55-40 at Monmore last year, albeit not necessarily occupying the same roles, eg Branford is this year's No.1 where last year it was Adam Allott.

Edited by Fourentee

I think people are getting too down on the Hitmen lets face it the only team to come close to beating the Heathens at home were Mildenhall and that scoreline was 52 - 41. Clearly the help they are getting from Jan O is doing them some good, as they are a different team to the one I saw last year and good on them.

Here's wishing them better luck at Rye House on Sat and at home against Kings Lynn on Sun.

Queue 'Montie'

The team manager needs to help the riders too. I thought the decisions regarding the Tactical Rides didn't make much sense, Waited until they were 30+ points down to give Branford his 'double pointer'. He could have done it in heat 5 - attempted to strike back when it was a possibility. Give it a go at the right time, if it doesn't work then it doesn't work.

I think people are getting too down on the Hitmen lets face it the only team to come close to beating the Heathens at home were Mildenhall and that scoreline was 52 - 41. Clearly the help they are getting from Jan O is doing them some good, as they are a different team to the one I saw last year and good on them.

Stoke came closer in a pre-season challenge ;)

Stoke came closer in a pre-season challenge ;)

I stand corrected :t:

Not quite close enough :)

Was good enough over the 2 legs to beat you ;)

I must admit, so long as both teams are at full strength, I'm looking forward to the Dudley meetings. Roynon v Worrall/Birks could be some fantastic races.

Was good enough over the 2 legs to beat you ;)

I must admit, so long as both teams are at full strength, I'm looking forward to the Dudley meetings. Roynon v Worrall/Birks could be some fantastic races.

I think that you will find it was a draw over the two Legs for the 2012 Staffs Cup or Challenge. 47-43 to Stoke @ Stoke & 47-43 to Dudley & Monmore Wood :rofl:

I can't wait to see Mildy & Stoke back at the 'Wood tho this year, as it seems it will be NL, KOC & Play Offs if my dreams come true!

I don't think I said that Buxton were on a hiding to nothing?

They beat Stoke at home a while ago and on that occasion appeared strong and confident, but the previous night appeared lost at Stoke.

The reason I am watching them is in the hope that they find their way and at least perform to their averages gaining some self confidence again.

Like you, I can only admire Ryan, he falls so often, almost always in the same way, yet usually gets back on and keeps trying often picking a point up.

No-one can doubt his commitment, but I wish that someone knowledgable would help him with his technique, he deserves to do well, because he is a brave lad and never, ever gives up.

Robert Branford is among the best riders in NL, but at present seems a just little off pace, last nights heat 15 excepted.

Buxton are capable of so much better, but batterings like they received last night and last week will only make it harder for them to pick their heads up.

Lets not forget the level of opposition has improved.

In the eight meetings Buxton have done so far he has come across Roynon three times and Burkes four times at no 1.

He has also been in all heat 15s bar one and i think he has top scored in all bar 1 meet where he had a fall and a cpl of ef.

So he needs to lift his game along with the level of the opposition.

Chopper

Lets not forget the level of opposition has improved.

In the eight meetings Buxton have done so far he has come across Roynon three times and Burkes four times at no 1.

He has also been in all heat 15s bar one and i think he has top scored in all bar 1 meet where he had a fall and a cpl of ef.

So he needs to lift his game along with the level of the opposition.

Chopper

Yes, I have always had time for Robert Branford, indeed i was touting him for a spot in the plymouth team on here before they signed there latest reserve, Rob always seems to give 110% though at times his bikes dont seem to have the speed needed, I also think Robert seems to have gone back a step this season <for whatever reason> and as you say Chopper, he needs to up his game a little or put another way, move up to the next level, though i dont think there is to much wrong a few tweeks to his equipment wont put right.

As for last night Royno was on a different level, to almost everyone else last night, indeed he is for most home meetings in the NL, and i dont take much enjoyment from seeing him win by the length of a straight a least, as for the remainder of The Heathens riders NO weak links, and it remains to be seen what effect it will have when the new averages come into effect <after the Scunthorpe home meeting> with most likely Daniel Greenwood moving up into the Team proper.

Buxton, to there credit they never stopped trying, all seven of them, with special mentions to Robert, Deanno, and Ryan Blacklock, never was a solitary point so hard earned. Buxton never used any tacticals and gave all there riders there programed rides, except for injury cover, fair play to them for that.

Be interesting to see if Robert gets things back on track in the next few weeks when his dad Chopper arrives !! Be good to see you again Darryl

• Like 1