British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
greyhoundp

Golden Hammer At Monmore

So come on guys who is youir pick for this, argueably the Top Individual open meeting in the NL, will the home Team have a home rider win at last, will Todd Kurtz put 5 gates together, will Rambo Lambert regain the Title, PL riders in Kyle Newman,Micky Dyer, Lee Smart bring it home or other spoilers in Rob Branford, Steve Worral, Kyle Howarth, show the home riders the way home or my Tip Ashley Birks.

The full line-up is: Ashley Morris (DUDLEY), Kyle Howarth (Workington), Micky Dyer (Edinburgh), Rob Branford (Buxton), Adam Roynon (DUDLEY), Dan Greenwood (DUDLEY), Ashley Birks (Stoke), Steve Worrall (Scunthorpe), Tom Perry (DUDLEY), James White Williams (DUDLEY), Simon Lambert (Leicester), Darryl Ritchings (DUDLEY), Byron Bekker (DUDLEY), Kyle Newman (Somerset), Lee Smart (Redcar), Todd Kurtz <Plymouth>.

Edited by greyhoundp

Roynon and Howarth clearly the best of that field, hope Micky has a good un on a bike built for this event.

Am making the trip down from Manchester for this to cheer on Robert Branford - can someone please post regular weather updates on here please. The forecast for the whole day looks dodgy - but we went to Berwick the other week with the same forecast and saw a whole meeting!

Updates for this meeting will be covered by me and are available on this link: http://speedwayupdat...ay&thread=10423

I predict:

1st: Adam Roynon

2nd: Kyle Howarth

3rd: Ashley Morris

That will do for me, 3 Comets riders :approve: .

Good luck boys, stay safe and bring back the Golden Hammer

I left the track at 2 and it's fine.

Some rain about coming from west/north west but drying out by 4.

A dry evening forecast and should be a great meeting

I'm in the City Centre - A wet night and morning. Stopped at lunchtime. Reasonably warm and dried out on roads and pavements quickly. A couple of sharp showers since dampened everything down again. I'd describe as 'normal' rain not the kind of deluge seen in many places recently. Monmore is known to take rain well. Drainage seems very good and track staff are superb. I've been a regular at Monmore since '98 so have lots of past wet days on which to base this view. Can never be 100% sure of course, but as is I have no doubt will go ahead as planned. The downpour the track took before the Wolves v B'ham meeting was heavier and later in the day than what we've seen in the last 12 hours and that went ahead without any problems.

Roynon and Howarth clearly the best of that field, hope Micky has a good un on a bike built for this event.

You reckon? Lambert and Birks will both ruffle feathers, and I think any one of 4 or 5 riders could win it.

Typical!! As soon as I hit reply it started raining again. :nono:

I do think we'll be okay though. It'll give the surface a soaking, but so would a necessary 'artificial' watering. I don't think this rain will be doing too much damage. It might just take a few heats to sort itself out.

Roynon will be clear favourite with all but the most biased fans of other riders, but if has one of those nights where he feels the need to fall off for no reason :rolleyes::D there are plenty that could take advantage. It's a very classy field at this level.

Morris - Has obvious ability at this level and particularly around Monmore. Riding on the crest of a wave after a good run of form, a string of guest appearances and picking up a PL spot with Worky. Definitely amongst those hoping Roynon slips up just once.

Howarth - One of several with PL experience and riding well this season I believe. Has decent enough form at Monmore to be a threat.

Dyer - Not having the best start to his PL adventure but when he rode for us in '10 he could make quick starts and was very fast when he got out in front. If he's remembered the set-up and he's got his gating gloves on he could spring a surprise or two. Not amongst my front runners though, just due to general form.

Branford - A spoiler rather than likely front runner I feel. The top class field may just be a touch too much for him, but he can be useful around Monmore and could easily be a rider that effective ruins another's chance of winning when it comes to the crunch.

Roynon - Obvious favourite. He's top scoring for fun in all three leagues in the last couple of weeks. Is prone to a bad ride when you least expect it. Guested for Wolves a couple of weeks ago and fell off for no apparent reason when leading comfortably. Can't afford a lack of concentration if he's going to win it. All the pressure of expectation is on him.

Greenwood - Will most likely be in the bottom half of scorers but he's had a successful return to the sport and has surprised everybody I think. He's averaging over 7 (incl BPs) in all NL meetings so if he can make some good starts he could easily be a pest but ultimately likely to overtaken by faster and more experienced riders.

Birks - In cracking form at the moment. Similar to Morris I expect him to be there or thereabouts and just hoping the other front runners leave the door open for him come the last round of rides.

Worrall - A definite spoiler for me. In the same likely scoring bracket as Branford. He could easily take valuable points from the big-hitters but I can't see him taking a rostrum spot in this company.

Perry - A good outside bet. He's likely to be overlooked by many fans around the country but he's having an awesome season. He jokes every week that he's after Royno's number 1 race jacket, and he's not a million miles behind his captain. At Monmore he's averaging 10.72 (incl. BP's - 10.24 without). His gating is hit and miss which could prove his downfall. Such an entertainer though that even as a Heathens fan you're sort of hoping he misses the start.

JWW - He's going to find the going tough in this field. He can make some cracking starts, and has been called back by referee's a number of times when I feel he's just been fast away. Tends to struggle for pace during a race though, so it's going to be difficult to fend off the class of rider he's going to face tonight.

Lambert - One of those that will have genuine ambitions of winning. Plenty of PL experience under his belt and shouldn't have any problems re-acquainting himself with the Monmore circuit. At this level he's got every string to his bow and should be looking toward the podium as a minimum return from his night's efforts.

Ritchings - Ultimately his night will probably end up similar to JWW but for a different reason. Darryl is not often first out the gate but boy does the lad work hard for his points. It won't be easy from the back of course so he needs to make a few good starts. He rarely makes a mistake and I often describe him as stalking another rider. He just follows, works the lines and waits for an opening particularly if a rider makes half a mistake. After a wet day his lovely smooth style could pay off.

Bekker - He should be around the midfield with the like of Worrall and Branford. A near certain spoiler but unlikely to trouble the top few. What I hope for most of all for 'Boris' is a night without crashing/falling or bike problems. He's had far too many of both this season. Just a safe, trouble-free night will do nicely.

Newman - Shoud be on of those up there challenging to win it or at least walk away with a top three place to his name. He's got plenty of laps under his belt at Monmore and has both decent gating skills and passing ability.

Smart - A late start to the season likely to be his downfall. I suspect a slightly disappointing return to Monmore for Smarty after he immensely popular stint with the club in '10. The like of Branford and Worrall could easily outscore him, and in the worst case scenario one of two others could push him.

Kurtz - A very good rider at this level, but he's up against some very good riders tonight. His overall ability should see him score solid points but I can't see a top three place tonight. He's a rider that's good value for money though, so I'm happy to see him in the line-up.

Pushed for a top three I would go Roynon, Lambert, Perry.

17-10 meeting still on from the official heathens facebook, and Radio WM.

Dudley website - ref has arrived and track passed inspection. Meeting is ON. Gates open half 6, heat 1 half 7.

just heard its off-any confirmations?

says off on the speedwaygb site

off on the heathens site now

Edited by bruno

You reckon? Lambert and Birks will both ruffle feathers, and I think any one of 4 or 5 riders could win it.

i applaud your stoke bias but Lambert isnt that great a gater, although to be fair BIrks on his day could challenge but i stand by the fact that Roynon and Howarth were by far the best 2.