British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Bryn

Mildenhall V Iow - July 15th

Anyone know what actually happened to Dan Berwick?

I heard a rumour about that, very surprising if true. Daren't repeat it in case it's untrue!

Actually felt sorry for the lad. He made a decent start in the reserves heat, but seemed to be fighting a losing battle against his bikes. They didn't look capable of doing 4 laps, nevermind 7 lots of 4 laps!

Tricky, grippy, patchy track which proved rather difficult for several of the riders. Even guys like Blackbird (who really needs to work on his interview etiquette!) was finding it tough out there, although things did improve as the meeting went on.

Some decent races though, a bit of mystery, and nice food still made it an enjoyable afternoon. Bit of sunshine, too!

Best wishes to Gary Cottham, who was extremly unlucky. Hope to see him back on a bike soon.

• Like 1

What a strange day! First we lose a reserve to his retirement (I hope whatever you've decided to go forward doing works out for you Dan), then lose another to injury (best wishes Gary), before losing a third after he apparently walked out. I'd love to know what really happened. And that's the second year in a row we've lost our #7 to injury at West Row.

That was our third away meeting this season & with our 4 home meetings, gives averages that I've worked out to be (I read somewhere that you always round down, but I'm not sure. The figures in brackets are home / away):

1. Danny Warwick 8.11 (8.57 / 6.85)

2. Kyle Hughes 6.57 (6.66 / 5.42)

3. Ben Hopwood 6.26 (6.44 / 6.00)

4. Aaron Baseby 5.33 (5.50 / 5.14)

5. Paul Starke 5.15 (5.75 / 4.34)

6. Gary Cottham 4.80 (5.33 / 3.55)

7. Dan Stoneman 3.00 (He's only ridden twice away, otherwise 4.40)

With a team total of 39.22, the injured Gary & retired Dan could be replaced by Marc Owen & a 3.00. Not sure how Owen is though, and the recovery period for a collarbone.

Will Lambert be allowed to ride after only 1 match?, in the Premier League Fours Nick Morris wasnt allowed to ride for Scunthorpe (before they withdrew) as he had only rode a couple of meetings?

I think it's true isn't it that a previous winner of the CL Pairs did so before he'd ridden a single match for the club he represented..?

back from hospital, x-ray confirms clean snap about 2" above lower join on r/h collar bone, gazza wishes to thank track medics, all those who wish him well, the staff at pembury hospital, special thanks to Steve Ribbons Morris Lubricants and I.O.W. team and management for their faith and support, without whom it would be impossible to continue! He promises to be back soon! thanks for looking, Gary Cottham Snr.

• Like 4

Completely gutted for Gary. He won heat 2 so convincingly and seemed set fair for a really good meeting - and then this feak accident lays him low .. Give young Gary my best wishes as ever Gary Snr.

Derek

Hope for a speedy recovery for Gazza, such a shame for one of the nicest lads in the sport. Hope the Islanders start having some good luck for the rest of the season.

I would like to thank every one for there support and kind comments but most of all id like to thank the fans who have supported me i just cant wait to get back on a bike cheers gazza cottham

• Like 4

Speedy recovery Gary, Tuesday nights won't be quite the same without you there.

• Like 1