British Speedway Forum
Mark

2013 World Cup - Venues

Kings Lynn would be ideal for the quality of the racing it produces,

But if they havent got the spectator facilities, maybe Coventry or Poole could be used,

Peterborough put on a good show for the 4's yesterday so would like to think they would come into the equation.

You have to remember the equation is governed by who wants to ante up the Dollar$$$ - if Prague wants to cough up more loot than anyone else then they'll get it.

• Like 1

I think this years SWC proved that it does not make such a big difference and that it is perhaps not a

good idea that have the host seeded direct to the final.

The crowds weren't that big (possibly weather related) and i think despite no Croatia in the final

allot of people would show up.

My view is that Maliia is a good track but it's in the middle of nowhere and hard to get to for travelling fans.

If BSI placed the race off & final in a decent tourist area, or at least an area with excellent transport links, it could encourage travelling fans to attend both meetings and make the racing an excuse for a trip away. I've not been to Malilla but it seems very remote from major cities, airports and other attractions.

Would one of the major draws about Cardiff be is its proximity to accomodation, bars, food and a rail station.

Kings Lynn would be ideal for the quality of the racing it produces,

But if they havent got the spectator facilities, maybe Coventry or Poole could be used,

Poole with it's 3,900 capacity? Don't believe the hype from the south coast about their stadium. If you can only get 3,900 in there you may as well go to King's Lynn or Peterborough. At least half their stadiums are not taken up by a restaurant. Poole is clean and tidy but thats about it. TBF, these days Lynn is not the scruffly little place it was 10-15 years ago. They have proved over the last few years they're capable of hosting such an event.

Mind you, it again comes back to major speedway stadiums capable hosting the event in the middle of nowhere. Must be a ball ache for the Swedes, Poles and Danes wanting to travel but thats not much different to Mallila and Vojens. Thats the one advantage Prague has.

THERE were some problems between BSI and the Showground last time SWC event held there but I hear there is a new boss who might be more accommodating.

THERE were some problems between BSI and the Showground last time SWC event held there but I hear there is a new boss who might be more accommodating.

IF space is available, as it is at both Peterborough and Kings Lynn, a lot can be done. Look at how they transform golf courses for the major events. All those facilities are brought in just fir a few days.

Cardiff is a great place to host it.

Or coventry or wolves as would give team gb abit more of a advantage

Cardiff is a great place to host it.

GREAT yes ...viable no

Or coventry or wolves as would give team gb abit more of a advantage

IF space is available, as it is at both Peterborough and Kings Lynn, a lot can be done. Look at how they transform golf courses for the major events. All those facilities are brought in just fir a few days.

Yes, but it comes down to who'll pay for it. The likes of the Open gets thousands of paying spectators over the 4 days, so there's more amortisation of the investment. There's also a lot of British golfers in the event so plenty of home interest.

The SWC is just a couple of 2-3 hour events at best, and with far fewer potential spectators. And if the home team isn't in a round, it could be even more disastrous. If not a lot of up-front investment is required then the risks are lower.

It's always been a mystery to me though, why crowds for the SWC have never really been that good as it's always a much more interesting event that the SGP. Even in the old days, the WTC never drew attendances that were comparable with World Finals either.

Why not try to have the best teams qualify and the best teams win without jokers and seeding?

Quite simple - money.

If I were a Croatian promoter, I'm not sure I'd want to take the risk of staging a big final without local interest. It might just about work in Britain where there's enough interest in club riders to follow them in the competition even if they're from another country, but otherwise how would you sell an event where the participants are not only unknown, but the chances of any local interest are virtually nil?

I KNOW what you are saying Humphrey but I was simply saying that it would be possible, and indeed practical, to bring in temporary grandstands and catering facilities at both KL and Peterborough although obviously not on the scale of a major golf tournament. And, as already stated, that is exactly what they will do at the Norfolk Arena for the stock car final.

Incidentally, the cost to BMW of installing their 'village' at Wentworth was around £4 million!

Prague would be a good place to hold the two meetings. Marketa is local to the city, plenty of hotels, good nightlife, accessable from other European countries by car and an airport close by.

Maybe the home nation could get seeded to the Race Off ? That would give them home advantage but also allow the top 4 teams on ability to fight out the final.

Prague would be a good place to hold the two meetings. Marketa is local to the city, plenty of hotels, good nightlife, accessable from other European countries by car and an airport close by.

Maybe the home nation could get seeded to the Race Off ? That would give them home advantage but also allow the top 4 teams on ability to fight out the final.

SO presumably the suggestion is:

Hosts seeded to race-off

Winners of two qualifiers direct to final

Runners-up in qualifiers to race-off

Highest scoring team in qualifiers to race-off

Top two in race-off to final

Has merit

• Like 3

SO presumably the suggestion is:

Hosts seeded to race-off

Winners of two qualifiers direct to final

Runners-up in qualifiers to race-off

Highest scoring team in qualifiers to race-off

Top two in race-off to final

Has merit

Yes that would work well. Taking Prague as an example it would give the CZ team a decent chance with home advantage in the Race Off. It would also allow the 4 best teams to get to the Final.

In the qualifiers it would mean each point is vital to come 3rd to get to the Race Off. But there would have to be provision for 'joker points' to be accounted for. It's not a cert that both 3rd place teams would be able to use a joker.

If both teams used the joker I'd remove those points from end scores. If Team A gets 6pts but Team B fails to score the effect of the joker is greater on the end score.

Personally I'd get rid of the joker. It stop what the Danes did last Saturday. They played to the rules, nothing stopping them, but it didnt look right.

It's probably there for TV but it disorts the end result. The high level of competition should be good enough for TV as with 4 good teams in the final it should be a close call who wins.

Have the Race Off & Final in a place that's easy to get to. Malilla must be one of the most remore tracks, maybe that had an effect on the crowd ?

Edited by Mark

Yes that would work well. Taking Prague as an example it would give the CZ team a decent chance with home advantage in the Race Off. It would also allow the 4 best teams to get to the Final.

In the qualifiers it would mean each point is vital to come 3rd to get to the Race Off. But there would have to be provision for 'joker points' to be accounted for. It's not a cert that both 3rd place teams would be able to use a joker.

If both teams used the joker I'd remove those points from end scores. If Team A gets 6pts but Team B fails to score the effect of the joker is greater on the end score.

Personally I'd get rid of the joker. It stop what the Danes did last Saturday. They played to the rules, nothing stopping them, but it didnt look right.

It's probably there for TV but it disorts the end result. The high level of competition should be good enough for TV as with 4 good teams in the final it should be a close call who wins.

Have the Race Off & Final in a place that's easy to get to. Malilla must be one of the most remore tracks, maybe that had an effect on the crowd ?

THE attendance was significantly hit by the weather, as bad if not worse in Sweden than the UK. Malilla traditional draws its crowd from quite a wide area but people weren't prepared to travel fearing either a postponement nor getting drenched ... there is no cover at the G&B Arena. Had it been a nice, warm, dry day there is no doubt the stadium would have been packed.

The adjoining camp site was empty. Usually (for a GP) is is very busy.

THE attendance was significantly hit by the weather, as bad if not worse in Sweden than the UK. Malilla traditional draws its crowd from quite a wide area but people weren't prepared to travel fearing either a postponement nor getting drenched ... there is no cover at the G&B Arena. Had it been a nice, warm, dry day there is no doubt the stadium would have been packed.

Yes, the weather did look poor.

Hmmmm i was there--weather for the race off was fine but must admit travelling to the final i was amazed it was on as we were half hour from the track and it had rained most of the day---it was very lucky it was on so i can see why it put a lot of Swedes off.

• Like 1