British Speedway Forum

There are some people who take the view that having a British rider in the SGP series might help to encourage British kids, some of whom might not even have thought about speedway as a career, to ASPIRE to taking their place on the World stage, racing at venues like the Millennium in Cardiff, Parken in Copenhagen and Torun.

BUT as I touched upon earlier, I very much doubt Chris Harris has inspired anyone this season, and at his current level, I can't see Woffinden inspiring anyone watching TV next year. Kids watch sport and want to be winners, the best, not the one scrapping for a few points a meeting.

To put it another way, do you think children watched the Olympics 100m this year and wanted to be the next Dwayne Chambers, because he's British, or Usain Bolt, because he's a winner?

It is a point of view but perhaps pandorum you are one of those who cannot and will not respect opinions that are not entirely in tune with your own.

I'm sorry but it goes both ways. Personally I'm not bothered, but on numerous occasions in this thread, anyone who dares question the British picks every season, are deemed to be 'bitching' or 'bagging on'. We're not, we just think it's absurd that a token Brit will almost certainly get a place ahead of a proven GP winner, World Cup Gold medalist and potential World U21 Champion.

JT.

Edited by JT
  • Like 3

I THINK there is a reasonable chance that I know what aspire means. I might just as well ask whether you can read. So, let me try again...

There are some people who take the view that having a British rider in the SGP series might help to encourage British kids, some of whom might not even have thought about speedway as a career, to ASPIRE to taking their place on the World stage, racing at venues like the Millennium in Cardiff, Parken in Copenhagen and Torun.

It is a point of view but perhaps pandorum you are one of those who cannot and will not respect opinions that are not entirely in tune with your own.

A rider should aspire to reach the pinnacle of their career through hard work and graft not through a lucky dip draw because they happen to have a British passport. There is also a train of thought, that if you earn it, you respect it more.

Edited by TheReturn
  • Like 2

A rider should aspire to reach the pinnacle of their career through hard work and graft not through a lucky dip draw because they happen to have a British passport. There is also a train of thought, that if you earn it, you respect it more.

PERSONALLY wouldn't argue with that

Why does a British kid have to watch a British rider to inspire them to ride, surely watching the Worlds best does that.

• Like 3

That's rich comning from you.

And that sentence is the last bastion of someone who does not have an argument and coming from a man who is/was associated with a half decent speedway magazine it is rather pathetic to hear it from you.

I THINK there is a reasonable chance that I know what aspire means. I might just as well ask whether you can read. So, let me try again...

And yes I have been able to read for well over 50 years now and the change to your comment is just a failed excercise in semantics as you are seemingly saying the same thing as before but with a rather snotty tone added for emphasis.

SOME would argue that it helps to show other British riders what they can and should aspire to. compared to what you say now.

So again I would argue that you DON'T know what aspire means as again you seem to be taking the position that somehow a Brit rider who can't be bothered to earn a place in SGP by qualifying will somehow motivate the kids here to aspire to the SGP simply by virtue of being picked because he is British and good for the TV.

Peter Collins was a British speedway hero who aspired. Gary Havelock was a British speedway hero who aspired.

Kelvin Tatum was a British speedway hero who aspired. Mark Loram was a British speedway hero who aspired.

They all reached the pinnacle of the sport....OK Kel in Longtrack. Young riders looked up to them were inspired and aspired to be them.

Chris Harris whines a lot and gets a charity pick what an inspiration he is.

Young Tai has a long way to go yet before he can be called a British speedway hero. He may well make it.

But he needs to aspire to that goal. He needs to prove himself worthy to stand in that company and he probably will....eventually.

Aspiration involves struggle. It involves effort. It does not involve getting a place because you are British.

having a British rider in the SGP series who has worked hard and made some effort to get there might indeed help to encourage British kids but whining your way into the series is not likely to have that desired effect.

Edited by pandorum
  • Like 4

BUT if you read it properly you would realise that I didn't say it was my opinion but a view that is held in certain quarters.

Well said Phil!

BUT if you read it properly you would realise that I didn't say it was my opinion but a view that is held in certain quarters.

So, what is your opinion. Does Tai deserve a place in next years series?

ASSUMING (and it is no more than that) Hampel, Vaculik and Ward get spots, then I don't think there is a lot to choose between the other candidates. I do believe that Tai has real talent and that in hindsight (what a wonderful thing that is) 2010 was a bit too soon. But if he can build on that experience, mature (as Holder has done and Ward will need to) then Britain could have a genuine GP rider.

He also stuck by Jawas for far too long (easy to say if you don't have to pay) like Bjerre. I note that he has been using GMs in Poland and doing much better. Give the kid a chance and maybe if we all got behind him he will come up trumps.

His main rival for a place is Michael Jepsen Jensen but despite his achievements this season I think he is a year away too. And don't count Maciej Janowski out in the very near future.

Tai does not deserve a place any speedway fan realises this but a brit will be in is all politics.

In my mind Bjerre deserves more than tai. finished in the top 8 3 seasons on the bounce has won a gp and injury stopped him doing anything this year ( tho was struggling admittedly)

This is not a dig at Tai but if the 15 is who we believe then Woffinden is the only rider in there that i cant see winning a Gp next year. Agree/Disagree?

ASSUMING (and it is no more than that) Hampel, Vaculik and Ward get spots, then I don't think there is a lot to choose between the other candidates. I do believe that Tai has real talent and that in hindsight (what a wonderful thing that is) 2010 was a bit too soon. But if he can build on that experience, mature (as Holder has done and Ward will need to) then Britain could have a genuine GP rider.

I appreciate your opinion and get where you're coming from, but when you compare Woffinden and Jepsen Jensen's international achievements in the past year, there IS quite a lot to choose between them;

Grand Prix winner, World U21 Champion elect, World Cup gold medalist (beat Woffinden in the World Cup race off as well), Challenge qualifier (admittedly he was rubbish in the final, but at least he qualified) versus British No.3, top scorer for a woeful Great Britain in the race off and as far as I can tell, not a lot else...

I understand the commercial considerations, but as I mentioned before, I can't see a lack of a sub-par British rider causing a mass exodous of British fans from the Millennium Stadium.

JT.

He also stuck by Jawas for far too long (easy to say if you don't have to pay) like Bjerre. I note that he has been using GMs in Poland and doing much better. Give the kid a chance and maybe if we all got behind him he will come up trumps.

His main rival for a place is Michael Jepsen Jensen but despite his achievements this season I think he is a year away too. And don't count Maciej Janowski out in the very near future.

I hate this line.

So if he fails again it will be our fault for not getting behind him?

Why exactly should we get behind him? He comes across as a petty child with a huge attitude problem. But hey he's British so lets back him blindly anyway...

• Like 3

Tai does not deserve a place any speedway fan realises this but a brit will be in is all politics.

In my mind Bjerre deserves more than tai. finished in the top 8 3 seasons on the bounce has won a gp and injury stopped him doing anything this year ( tho was struggling admittedly)

This is not a dig at Tai but if the 15 is who we believe then Woffinden is the only rider in there that i cant see winning a Gp next year. Agree/Disagree?

NOt sure about Zagar as a winner but I take your point. But, maybe, two years down the line? Tai has potential, huge potential in my mind, and but he has to match what he can on a bike with what he does off it.

Incidentally, JT, I'm not sure BSI see having a "sub-par" Brit at Cardiff is a seat-seller but Sky may view that differently. They are in no position to dictate who does or doesn't get a nominated place but would be quite within their rights to determine that without British representation the SGP doesn't warrant as much air time, and that would be detrimental to British speedway as a whole.

Which is probably tied in to the view of others I have previously aired that coverage of the SGP series is important in the context of providing some inspiration for young aspiring (that word again) speedway riders in the UK.

I have no evidence to suggest that is the case and, probably like you, think Sky must be as tired as the rest of us at the lack of British success but sometimes beggars cannot be choosers.

I hate this line.

So if he fails again it will be our fault for not getting behind him?

Why exactly should we get behind him? He comes across as a petty child with a huge attitude problem. But hey he's British so lets back him blindly anyway...

NO, I didn't say it would be anyone's fault but his own but in this country we don't seem to provide the support for our own anywhere near as much as they do elsewhere. It's a British trait.

I will write to my local MP if Woffinden gets a place and I shall ask for an external investigation.