British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
greyhoundp

The Heathens V Stoke Po Semi Final 1st Leg

Absolutely anything can happen in the remaining play-off fixtures. Mildenhall still have their second leg to race on the Island, Stoke have had a very good result away at Dudley, but Dudley could well go and win the second leg at Stoke.Then anything could happen over the two legged final between whichever two teams make it. Additionally, the weather needs to hold off to allow all the matches to be run.

To say its a 'waste of a season ticket' just because you are worried your team might miss out on the trophies is a ridiculous comment. Nothing has been won or lost yet. You can put together a very good side, as the play-off contenders have done this season, but that doesnt guarantee trophies. All the play-off teams have been hopeful of winning trophies this season, but at other times feared they might win nothing.

A long way to go still and everything to race for for all four teams in the play-offs.

Edited by neil3065

Hopefully, if they get through in the 2nd leg, they CAN win the Play Offs,this will then show the Play Offs for what they are a FALSE ending to a seasons racing, and i mean that with No dis respect to Stoke.

Of course your going to say that arent you, because it looks like the pot trophy is all thats coming your way again.

Bottled it against Buxton a few years back from memory as well.

Junior

Of course your going to say that arent you, because it looks like the piss pot trophy is all thats coming your way again.

Bottled it against Buxton a few years back from memory as well.

Junior

As your name says, when are you going to grow up :lol: :lol: look back over many postings, and see if i have EVER agreed with Play Offs, give me a sound arguement in favour, except for saying a bigger than usual crowd. I will be up at Stoke tonight weather permitting, will you be watching YOUR Team in the Play Offs ?.

Well, it was unexpected if not entirely surprising, this is the problem when using RR, all the remaining riders have to be on it, and that combined with falls and ef,s meant Stoke held the deficit to just the 1 point, Stoke were admireably led by Ashley Birks, with good support from James Cockle, Ben Reade, Tony Aitkin, and a most impressive, surprising, and i would admit unexpected 7 points from Lee Geary, well done to the lad, staying on the bike is half the battle. For the Heathens we were basically a 3 man Team led superbly by Tom Perry, and supported to varying degrees by Ashley Morris and Darryll Ritchings, though both of them had EF,s when in winning positions, ashes was at the gate, but it was his easiest programmed race, Joe was slightly disapointing at No1 six points aint good enough, Dan Greenwood had a night he will want to forget, whilst JWW was shall we say JWW. Well done to Stoke, and they should be able to finish the job off in the return leg, especially if The Heathens have to use RR, and JWW is unable to ride.

Berniev, s various comments; i dont agree with the waste of a season ticket comment, or where he is coming from with the "Do the management really care" thingy ??, and as for the "We havent got the nights to make a go of it in any League" statement then thats news for many of us, maybe he cares to explain his/her thoughts on what was posted.

Yes we do seem to have imploded at the death, but that was partly due to injuries again at the wrong time, and Adams loss cant be underestimated, not just from his points scoring perspective, but the Captains role he does so well for us.No It aint over until The Fat lady sings, but she has certainly cleared her throat over the last Two meetings.

I said what I said as a Heathens fan! Stoke took advantage of a very, very poor performance. I paid for my season ticket to be let down when it mattered most. Stoke are in the PO but they are 22 league points behind us at the cut off point and the team's combined GS Average is 12 points behind ours!

Need I say more?

Can't blame injuries.........Adam swopped for the British U21 Champion in the NL should be same for same, JWW should have gone ages ago, BB's various injuries were an awful shame as he was back nearly to the BB of old! If DG had not got his racing head on after the awful crash at Mildy, perhaps he should not have ridden and got his body/head back together for tonight.

Even on the Dudley site WP says....."The former Cradley club made hard work of their long awaited home leg on Tuesday at Wolverhampton and wasted points through crashes and mechanical breakdowns." & “We're pretty gutted to be honest because we threw quite a few points away after being in good positions."

The managment say they care but do they really? Up to 2000 devoted Heathens fans were let down last night by JH, JWW & DG. TP, AM & DR did their best to gain the win....after all Happiness is 44-43 in your favour.

Potters should win at a canter if the same happens tonight, never know tho' Speedway is a funny game and we could just win and meet up with Mildy in the Final. We have done the impossible in the past!

As for the nights in the league available......that needs no comment in my opinion........we do not seem to have enough as we always stick to Tuesdays.......what actually is our declared Off Night? Wednesday or Sunday or the next available Tuesday that Ladbrookes allow?

There you are greyhound, an explanation of my total frustration as a Heathens fan since the Summer of '59!

Frustrations & rant over just as if I were at Cradley Heath's Charlie Wright's on a Thursday night back in the day, Season Ticket for 2013 will be on order soon and off we go again in whatever league my beloved Heathens are in in 2013!

As your name says, when are you going to grow up :lol: :lol: look back over many postings, and see if i have EVER agreed with Play Offs, give me a sound arguement in favour, except for saying a bigger than usual crowd. I will be up at Stoke tonight weather permitting, will you be watching YOUR Team in the Play Offs ?.

There are may arguments in favour of the play offs,not just cash wise,they create excitement and drama,something lacking in speedway most of the time,take this evening meetings,you take a one point lead to Stoke,its close,you chaps have nothing to loose it will be a cracker

Take EL for example,2 top teams going head to head,the PL panning out nicely for some great meetings,last years NL final,has there been a better finish to a league ever??,great racing and pure drama in the second leg, Coventry /Poole the other year was brilliant speedway

The Gps,top top rider on the night doesnt always win the GP but the semis and grand final produce quite brilliant speedway

The heathens have everything still to race for against Stoke and there will be another twist,and if im honest i fancy them to just pip Stoke

• Like 2

I said what I said as a Heathens fan! Stoke took advantage of a very, very poor performance. I paid for my season ticket to be let down when it mattered most. Stoke are in the PO but they are 22 league points behind us at the cut off point and the team's combined GS Average is 12 points behind ours!

Need I say more?

Can't blame injuries.........Adam swopped for the British U21 Champion in the NL should be same for same, JWW should have gone ages ago, BB's various injuries were an awful shame as he was back nearly to the BB of old! If DG had not got his racing head on after the awful crash at Mildy, perhaps he should not have ridden and got his body/head back together for tonight.

Even on the Dudley site WP says....."The former Cradley club made hard work of their long awaited home leg on Tuesday at Wolverhampton and wasted points through crashes and mechanical breakdowns." & “We're pretty gutted to be honest because we threw quite a few points away after being in good positions."

The managment say they care but do they really? Up to 2000 devoted Heathens fans were let down last night by JH, JWW & DG. TP, AM & DR did their best to gain the win....after all Happiness is 44-43 in your favour.

Potters should win at a canter if the same happens tonight, never know tho' Speedway is a funny game and we could just win and meet up with Mildy in the Final. We have done the impossible in the past!

As for the nights in the league available......that needs no comment in my opinion........we do not seem to have enough as we always stick to Tuesdays.......what actually is our declared Off Night? Wednesday or Sunday or the next available Tuesday that Ladbrookes allow?

There you are greyhound, an explanation of my total frustration as a Heathens fan since the Summer of '59!

Frustrations & rant over just as if I were at Cradley Heath's Charlie Wright's on a Thursday night back in the day, Season Ticket for 2013 will be on order soon and off we go again in whatever league my beloved Heathens are in in 2013!

Hahaha, thanks for the reply, you wer,nt the only one who was/is frustrated last night, i wont comment on individual riders at this moment in time, i said my piece at the start of the season, got vilified for it by some Heathens fans, but i have held my tongue on it since the season started, but suffice to say, we changed our reserves last season, when they were not doing it, but this year we have stuck with them, even though its been apparent to most where our weakness was/is :wink: .

Anyways on to tonight, It needs Joe to take care of AB, no reason why he cant, Tom to do what Tom does best, Ash to cancel out JC, and that gives us 36 points, thats from 5 rides from all of them, thats very do-able, we need another 9/10 more points from Dan, Darryl and the 2nd reserve, now bearing in mind both of Stokes reserves have been primarily Amateur League riders this season, 5 points should be there for the taking in Ht 2, which just leaves 4/5 points more from the 10 remaining rides of Dan, Darryl and the 2nd reserve, is it possible Yes of course it is, because except for Ashley Birks, rider for rider, we are the stronger team.

Well that was interesting. No, hang on I don't mean interesting do I? Crap, yes that's the word I was looking for!! :lol:

Congrats to Stoke. Solid job on the night. It's a shame to read a couple of comments I've seen about Lee Geary's points haul. To finish first first you have to finish springs to mind. He rode safe and sensible lines on his first visit to Monmore, he stayed on the bike and was not let down by his machinery. You can't knock him for that. He deserved his points.

Some of the comments about James White Williams are starting to annoy me as well. He is hugely frustrating because he can gate with the best of them at this level but doesn't seem to be able to hang on to the promising positions very often. However, he signed on 4.53 and upped it to 4.88. You can't ask any more than for a rider such as James than to improve on the average he joined on.

I won't comment further because I'll just end up moaning about where it all went wrong. :lol: Big job on to get everybody in the right frame of mind and equipment ready for tonight. A draw will do. :)

First Time I've been able to go to a Dudley Match all season and I thought it was a decent match. Excellent crowd, I go to Monmore a few times to watch the Brummies and Ive yet to see a crowd anywhere near that last night, good number of Potters fans aswell. I'm not a massive fan of Porky on the green but I amazed how he keeps warm by just wearing a green heathens t-shirt all evening!!!. It was Freezing last night :o

All the credit must go to the Potters for that battling display but I did think the Heathens threw some points away with falls and engine failures. I was a bit disapointed with Joe Haines, I thought he would have been untouchable at this level and he knows the Monmore track well. In fact he didnt gate all night, and found it hard to pass the Stoke riders although he did give it a go which was the case in the race he fell. Joe's night was summed up in the Les Pottinger Memorial Trophy race , when his bike reared up when the tapes went up and he fell off the back.

The best Heathens rider was Tom Perry, afterall he was the only Dudley rider that didnt have an EF or a fall, he was brilliant. Ashley Morris started well but packed up on the line in Heat 8 and wasnt as good after that. Ritchings was impressive at reserve scoring 10+2 but even he had bike trouble when he packed up whilst leading in Heat 14. Dan Greenwood and James White Williams were poor, both suffered from falls,glad to see they are okay.

For the Stoke Potters, very impressed with Ashley Birks, nobody good get near him untill we saw a Tom Perry special in Heat 15. On another thread, I had Birks as NL rider of the year, glad I did after last nights performance. Wouldnt mind him riding for the Brummies in the EL next year in a doubling up role as he's scored plenty of points at PL level aswell.

Some good performance from the rest of the side, Cockle and Reade gave good support to Birks. Must admit I had never heard of Lee Geary before last nights match. He certaintly made an impression with a battling display at reserve. I thought Atkin would have scored a few more, but struggled a bit.

Overall though, Stoke did really well to only keep the Heathens to a one point lead going into tonights return :t:

Edited by Brummie Kev

Mostly a perfectly fair reflection on the meeting there Kev, though I have one major point to make. You state nobody got near Ash Birks until heat 15. That's not true mate. Both Ash Morris and Tom gave him a real run for his money in earlier heats, especially our Ash who was level with him and right on his back wheel throughout the heat.

Ash Birks has had an awesome season. He's in my PL dream team for next season. ;)

Well, Well, Stoke 41 The Heathens 54, which sees us through to the Play Off Finals, well done to all the lads, Lets hope we can have sensible discussions about Final dates,already NP has said the Heathens will stage there leg on Tuesday 23rd as a Double header with the 2nd leg of the KO Cup final, should be a Blockbuster.

Edited by greyhoundp

I dont have a team as im 15000 miles away but,

well done to Dudley ,hopefully now you can maybe go on and win the real trophy.

Cheers Junior

• Like 1

Well, Well, Stoke 41 The Heathens 54, which sees us through to the Play Off Finals, well done to all the lads, Lets hope we can have sensible discussions about Final dates,already NP has said the Heathens will stage there leg on Tuesday 23rd as a Double header with the 2nd leg of the KO Cup final, should be a Blockbuster.

Well? What can I say??????????????? Followed all the meeting from Cradley on my PC as I could not get to Loomer Road. Speachless.

Another night and just like days of old when a phoenix rises from the ashes of possible defeat............41 - 54 & Won on aggregate!

Well done ALL the Heathens at Loomer Road on Wednesday night.

Roll on the 23rd October...........it would be nice to have a crack at Mildy twice in one night but I would prefer to see Mildy KOC & IoW PO Final just for a change in the double header!

Another thing i would like to say about last night, was a big Thank you for Stoke on keeping the meeting running smoothly throughout, No long breaks between races, and this made it a thoroughly enjoyable evenings racing, I could see the disapointment on Dave Tatums face, but hey you had a few bob off us Heathens Fans to make up for it Dave, and i am sure you will be up there next season, and it was nice to see both Worralls in the pits, they look to be well on the road to recovery, along with Byron, who was hopping around and geeing up and offering support to the Heathens riders, especially the less experienced ones, along with Jan O giving words of advice both before and after every race, he would probably do it during the race as well if he could find a way.

Finally what can i say about the support, absolutely fan bloody tastic, we must be the "Barmy Army" of the Black Country, great to see "Porky" up and in there with us from time to time, would be nice to see Patch and CVS come in amongst us know and then.This attitude of seeming aloof from the supporters has to be shaken off, we all P*ss in the same Pot and They are no different, bcuz not only do they need to realise that without US they wouldnt be there, but also SHOW that they appreciate the support as well as the riders do.

Finally commiserations to Stoke, and a BIG well done to our guys.

Edited by greyhoundp