British Speedway Forum
Honey Monster

Leicester Lions 2013

I stood with some MX fans who said the speedway was a complete waste of time . They were saying they would rather watch the ink dry on the grand cheque.

Chris Popple made Leicester Speedway the complete laughing stock in front of a massive crowd .

He just gets it so wrong everytime i counted 3 times Rob had interrupt Chris to tell him he was wrong. Like the wrong fixtures they are in the programme chris only had to look instead of blabbing his mouth off. The MX fan next to me asked if the Midland Defence League was skin headed blokes with tattoo's racing round abusing with cans of special brew in their hands.

I was jumping for Joy when they had the crash & it appeared Chris mic broke while he was speaking so he went silent. I hoped that would be last i heard of him but no such luck.

But that was the best yet. Asking Danny King what he would do with his grand in the hand for winning the meeting when he had finished 3rd .

DID HE EVEN WATCH THE MEETING. Why do they let him loose with a mic for interviews when we have Rob there.

Just when i thought he couldn't get any worse he produced the dire stuff on sat. This was a big chance for us to promote speedway to some new faces but CP f**ked it up big time with his usual balls up.

Time to do us all a favour Chris resign and go back to your 80's DJ booth in a back street bar playing to 10 people maximum.

Edited by lionking

What happened to Lewis Bridger? Couldn't he find Leicester?

That's all well and good but what's your point?

What happened to Lewis Bridger? Couldn't he find Leicester?

Injured apparently !!!!

How many times have we said popple should pack it in an there were no lions riders as they proberly had enough of the place and DH

How many times have we said popple should pack it in an there were no lions riders as they proberly had enough of the place and DH

Nothing to do with them all living abroad then? and the Freestyle organisers obviously didn't want to fork out for airfares?. Doolan agreed terms but was injured, I think Graverson is on holiday.

Next question

Nothing to do with them all living abroad then? and the Freestyle organisers obviously didn't want to fork out for airfares?. Doolan agreed terms but was injured, I think Graverson is on holiday.

Next question

i think it was down to the poor money that was on offer thats why we ended up with a load of wanna be riders on show,the big crowd we had should of paid the odd air fare or two i would rather watch lasse or magnus than the national league super star third strings we had,what was they thinking was they trying to give speedway a bad name?

i think it was down to the poor money that was on offer thats why we ended up with a load of wanna be riders on show,the big crowd we had should of paid the odd air fare or two i would rather watch lasse or magnus than the national league super star third strings we had,what was they thinking was they trying to give speedway a bad name?

Barker, King, schlein and Worrall wouldn't have ridden for peanuts. Nichols agreed terms then pulled out for sky glory, don't know what happened to Bridger. Don't agree terms and then pull out if they weren't happy with them. Doolan got injured Bridger pulled out on Friday night and so did Kerr what are they to do do? The original line up was quite different to the one we got, Doolan was supposed to be there but was injured. Do you know for certain that Magnus wasn't asked and couldn't make it? I'm not a fan of Bjerre so can take him or leave him really, I think all told they did the best they could.

Barker, King, schlein and Worrall wouldn't have ridden for peanuts. Nichols agreed terms then pulled out for sky glory, don't know what happened to Bridger. Don't agree terms and then pull out if they weren't happy with them. Doolan got injured Bridger pulled out on Friday night and so did Kerr what are they to do do? The original line up was quite different to the one we got, Doolan was supposed to be there but was injured. Do you know for certain that Magnus wasn't asked and couldn't make it? I'm not a fan of Bjerre so can take him or leave him really, I think all told they did the best they could.

I'm not sure why the day was such a let down. When first promoted it looked a grand plan. The website looked the part and it promised to deliver a great day out. It would appear to me that the costs put a halt to most of the grand scheme. I find it difficult to work out why as the income budget from ticket sales must have held up to what they could have expected. It was a good crowd. Maybe they were expecting more sponsorship input but i cant believe that they were only ever aiming to provide a 3 man 20 minute MX jump exhibition, 10 heats of speedway, music by a local karaoke style club singer, a bouncy castle and a kids magician. If they were, it was a confidence trick on the paying customer.

You have to ask where the money all went? On the face of it that doesn't look like something that required costs that would struggle to be covered by 2000 people @ £18 - £20 a head. I honestly don't think you end up with a line-up like the Speedway line-up that was finally on offer unless you are not willing or able to pay for better.

If the reason for such a damp squib was money, You have to ask what elements of what was actually on offer cost the lads putting it on so much of it as i'm failing to get it. However, I've spent quite a long time in music promotions and time and time again you would see amateur promoters wanting to put on their favourite bands and getting fleeced royally by every element of the professional side of that entertainment business. It was like taking money from kids. Not sure what that has to do with the freestyle show but there you go.

If, however, the reason was that the lads were maximising their profits then lets hope it was all worth it.

Was the day done as a joint effort in conjuntion with Leicester Speedway or did the lads just rent the stadium for the day? It's hard to tell.

Mick.

Edited by volty

DH told me that the lads had simply rented the stadium. But then SCB kicked up saying any riders that rode would be banned because it wasn't run by SCB registered promotors. So to get round it Alan Jones was named as event organiser on offcial paperwork to get round the loophole.

So the event was run by the 2 young lads but paperwork will say the speedway was run by Leicester.

Was the day done as a joint effort in conjuntion with Leicester Speedway or did the lads just rent the stadium for the day? It's hard to tell.

Mick.

The line up wasn't helped when the GB V AUS test match at Workington was rained off & then re-staged on the same day as the freestyle show this meant Kerr & Grajczonek who i think were both in the original line up pulled out to ride in the test match.
  • Like 2

I'm not sure why the day was such a let down. When first promoted it looked a grand plan. The website looked the part and it promised to deliver a great day out. It would appear to me that the costs put a halt to most of the grand scheme. I find it difficult to work out why as the income budget from ticket sales must have held up to what they could have expected. It was a good crowd. Maybe they were expecting more sponsorship input but i cant believe that they were only ever aiming to provide a 3 man 20 minute MX jump exhibition, 10 heats of speedway, music by a local karaoke style club singer, a bouncy castle and a kids magician. If they were, it was a confidence trick on the paying customer.

You have to ask where the money all went? On the face of it that doesn't look like something that required costs that would struggle to be covered by 2000 people @ £18 - £20 a head. I honestly don't think you end up with a line-up like the Speedway line-up that was finally on offer unless you are not willing or able to pay for better.

If the reason for such a damp squib was money, You have to ask what elements of what was actually on offer cost the lads putting it on so much of it as i'm failing to get it. However, I've spent quite a long time in music promotions and time and time again you would see amateur promoters wanting to put on their favourite bands and getting fleeced royally by every element of the professional side of that entertainment business. It was like taking money from kids. Not sure what that has to do with the freestyle show but there you go.

If, however, the reason was that the lads were maximising their profits then lets hope it was all worth it.

Mick.

Mick

There were 15 heats of speedway which I must admit was not thrilling. order of races was not well organised due to one rider in each race after heat 3 appearing in the next heat therefore a long wait between races.

tickets they sold.

Edited by Fanmale

Mick.

Don't forget a lot of the tickets were sold on Groupon at £8.00.

Don't forget a lot of the tickets were sold on Groupon at £8.00.

And Groupon take 50% of that so organisers only get £4.00 each person

• Like 1

Hearing Leicester versus belle Vue in a 2 legged affair

Belle Vue on the 2nd october and at Leicester on the 5th October

Don't think Zagar or zorro are riding at belle Vue or Leicester but heard a whisper that KK might turn out for Leicester at belle Vue. How true I don't know though

Do I hear a rumour that Leicester are not in the playoffs this year?

Also caught a rumour that Magnus Karlsson is representing Leicester at the PLRC today.

Not a word about either on the Leicester Lions website.

Anyone know anything about these??