British Speedway Forum
Honey Monster

Leicester Lions 2013

I don't know if the changes will make any difference and to be honest, I don't think anyone does. At least not until there has been a few meetings.

I think it probably wise to reseve jugment until that has happened. All I will say is that I hope they have got it right this time. I personally can't stand another season of follow the leader every week.

absolutely agree nightshift, fingers and everything else crossed, i really wish these changes do the trick.

I guess the point is if the alterations were made that were originally muted then if they didn't work then i'd still give it a second chance as they clearly show they were making the effort (although i think we've already passed that already on chances, 3rd or 4th chance maybe) . Whereas if the actual changes that have been done don't work then i think it may be the end of my interest because it looks like someone fiddling around the edges for cheapness sakes. That's the gamble they are taking and i can't believe i'll be alone as a fan in thinking that way.

• Like 2

I don't know if the changes will make any difference and to be honest, I don't think anyone does. At least not until there has been a few meetings.

I think it probably wise to reseve jugment until that has happened. All I will say is that I hope they have got it right this time. I personally can't stand another season of follow the leader every week.

Spot on. I am the sort of casual fan the club need to target. First season I went about ten meetings and then gave up on the track. Went one meeting last year to see a slight improvement albeit largely down to a better Leicester team. This season after a couple of months of tweaking with the surface, I'll visit again. If the track fails to dish up worthy entertainment, I probably will not return until further alterations have been achieved. I've had friends ask about visiting and work colleagues but I have told them to save their money; as the experience of meetings in the past two season would probably kill their interest altogether.

However, without wishing to worry anyone I think the big issue regards Leicester Speedway will eventually be the rest of the site. Opposition is building to the eyesore of landfill and the rest of the land being under used (particularly as some of it was proposed to be be used as football pitches etc. as part of a Football Foundations scheme). The local community lost a facility in parkland and recreation and Beaumont Park as a whole would probably be the cheapest option in providing that facility again in the local area.

The Speedway club missed a couple of chances to house other minority sport teams on the site. I can feel a storm brewing on it.

• Like 1

Sorry to hijack this topic.

This is barrow boy not mojo who has kindly allowed me to come on here to explain that I cannot get on the forum. I have tried to log in to open my account again but I cannot remember my password. I have completed the boxes to this effect and have been told that I will get an Email with instructions on how to unlock my account but nothing has been received. I have also tried to open a new account under the name of barrow boy which I wish to retain but it comes up that this is already in use as is my Email address. If one of the moderators could advise me I would be most obliged.,

Glyn hasnt said he is happy with the changes or feels it will make a massive difference plus he ended with i wont make any comments, So i guess he is not fully happy then and after what happpened before i understand why he wont make any further comments.

I dont see moving 4 or 5 feet in would make a big difference but time will tell, its make or break for leicester speedway as it seems even most of the hardcore fans wont except a 3rd year of follow the leader.

.... Or maybe he is just fed up with justifying things over and over again to you and the rest of the nay sayers, for whom nothing will ever be good enough !
  • Like 3

.... Or maybe he is just fed up with justifying things over and over again to you and the rest of the nay sayers, for whom nothing will ever be good enough !

You could well be right there , then again he may have done some calculations and worked out there are enough fools who will gladly swallow whatever is served up as long as it's called leicester speedway and decided to take the easy option

Spot on. I am the sort of casual fan the club need to target. First season I went about ten meetings and then gave up on the track. Went one meeting last year to see a slight improvement albeit largely down to a better Leicester team. This season after a couple of months of tweaking with the surface, I'll visit again. If the track fails to dish up worthy entertainment, I probably will not return until further alterations have been achieved. I've had friends ask about visiting and work colleagues but I have told them to save their money; as the experience of meetings in the past two season would probably kill their interest altogether.

However, without wishing to worry anyone I think the big issue regards Leicester Speedway will eventually be the rest of the site. Opposition is building to the eyesore of landfill and the rest of the land being under used (particularly as some of it was proposed to be be used as football pitches etc. as part of a Football Foundations scheme). The local community lost a facility in parkland and recreation and Beaumont Park as a whole would probably be the cheapest option in providing that facility again in the local area.

The Speedway club missed a couple of chances to house other minority sport teams on the site. I can feel a storm brewing on it.

This is what I'm hearing too. There's all sorts of stuff going on within the council. There's a feeling they've been hoodwinked big time - and now they're beginning to realise that. That site is about more than just speedway.

As regards the track, whilst I'm personally sceptical that these changes will make the difference necessary, everyone just needs to wait and see. It needs to be seen over several meetings in different conditions before anyone can pass judgement.

The land around the stadium is empty for one main reason the state of the UK economy no businesses are interested in building sports facilities at present. The club have offered the land back to the council if they want to build football pitches,basketball courts or even a children's play area but the council don't want to and can't afford it.

• Like 2

The land around the stadium is empty for one main reason the state of the UK economy no businesses are interested in building sports facilities at present. The club have offered the land back to the council if they want to build football pitches,basketball courts or even a children's play area but the council don't want to and can't afford it.

What were the Council promised initially and along the way to smooth the path for speedway ? I have heard that as the other projects have fallen by the wayside Dave Hemsley has taken them on himself . if thats the case the council will just expect him to keep his promises , although a global recession may well affect everybody , the council wont care they cant afford to do anything themselves but that wont stop them trying to force someone else to . Councils =cant afford to empty your bins every week because of a global recession , try telling them you cant afford to pay your council tax because of a global recession and see what happens . !!

20 metres off the straights should help a bit , so the track is 320m now could be looking at sub 1 minute race times

If the apex of each corner hasn't moved, the length of the straights is effectively unchanged.

Business is not necessarily the issue. It's became more political and very complex. There were other missed opportunities at the time and in a city which elects it's mayor, the councillors feel a bigger need to score points.

Without going into detail, the approval of the 'sports complex' had a lot of knock-on effects elsewhere which included missed grants for the land, the proposed extension of a school and destruction of a velodrome. I'll admit to not knowing anymore about it though.

I don't know a lot of particulars either but there's a lot of talking about the lease on the land.

Hoodwinked is an apt word.

Edited by Hazzman

From the plans that the council published and the council reports I saw when approval given it was clear that that the five a side football, velodrome and possible Golf driving range business were private unconnected businesses to the Speedway and that they were acting as agents to sublet sections of the land.

Obviously I can't comment on any possible council wrangling as don't live in the city but relatives who do say heard nothing public about problems that they know of.

Whilst the jury is out on the track changes until the season starts, it seems appropriate to thank the team of volunteers for their efforts over the last few, and no doubt coming, weeks. Without them, and all the volunteers at tracks up and down the country, we wouldn't be fortunate enough to have speedway to comment on.

• Like 2

Sorry to hijack this topic.

This is barrow boy not mojo who has kindly allowed me to come on here to explain that I cannot get on the forum. I have tried to log in to open my account again but I cannot remember my password. I have completed the boxes to this effect and have been told that I will get an Email with instructions on how to unlock my account but nothing has been received. I have also tried to open a new account under the name of barrow boy which I wish to retain but it comes up that this is already in use as is my Email address. If one of the moderators could advise me I would be most obliged.,

barrow boy here again. Nobody has been in touch yet. I have just tried to open a new account but I cannot get by the Email box because it refuses to accept my Email entry because it is already in use. I know this because it is mine but I cannot access my account for some reason. I therefore am unable to use this forum and am not allowed to open a new account. What must I do? Anyone?