British Speedway Forum
PElford

Help With Filling In Some Crayford Home Programmes From 1976

Well the prog's in the loft and might take a bit of locating but I shall endeavour to do so.

And at same time could check that Heat 20 from the KTT!

Are you planning to get along to Central Park this coming season?

Would be great to see old Crayford faces there!!!

Many thanks for your help, but please don't run the risk of injuring yourself by climbing into the loft.

I moved from Crayford to Sevenoaks in the early 1990's, so I'm not too far away from Sittingbourne and I might try and get

there sometime in the summer.

Paul

• Like 1

Cheers mate - it's more my sanity than my physical well-being which is under threat when I venture into the loft! I can NEVER find what I'm bloody looking for!!!! Then the next time I go up there to look for something else, the first thing I stumble across is the thing I couldn't find for love nor money the previous time!!!

Hi Paul.

Here's the information you need !

Crayford V Stoke 26 April 1977

Ht 1: Laurie Etheridge, Gerry Hintz, Richard Davey, Trevor Charley 62.0 (4-2)

Ht 2: John Hooper, Mike Bessant, Ian Robertson, Rob Dole (f exc) 64.4 (9-3)

Ht 3: Alan Sage, Steve McDermott, Garry May (exc silencer), Stuart Mountford (fell) 64.2 (12-5)

Ht 4: NOT RERUN, Mike Bessant, Colin Gooddy & Rob Dole all fell whilst Tim Nunan was adjusted the prinmary cause of the stoppage.

Match abandoned

Kentish Times Trophy August 9 1977

Ht 20: Harding, Koppe, Garrad, May 60.2 (Kennett was scheduled to ride in this heat but was replaced by Garry May)

Brian (Barney) Kennett actually scored 2 points and the Late Vic Harding 6 points.

Kind regards

Steve

Edited by steve19620

Many thanks Parsloes for making the offer to venture into your loft.

Steve, thanks for providing the additional details re Stoke and the KTT so quickly.

Over the weekend, I will look out the 3 new programmes I've acquired and list them in case you can help out with these.

Thanks to both of you again for your assistance

Paul

Kentish Times Trophy August 9 1977

Brian (Barney) Kennett actually scored 2 points and the Late Vic Harding 6 points.

Kind regards

Steve

Ah I will deffo need to get into my loft now coz I have completely different scores for Barney & Vic!!

On the KTT, it all comes down to who won heat 20. One of Barney Kennett or Vic Harding actually won the heat whilst the other one was replaced by Garry May.

Steve, are you able to post the scores for the following blank programmes which I have recently found at my parents house?

Crayford v Ellesmere Port on 26th May 1977

Crayford v Edinburgh and Berwick D/H on 30th August 1977 and

Crayford v Teeside on 6th September 1977.

Many thanks in advance.

Paul

Hi Paul.

I will post these details on the forum during the week.

Steve

Thanks Steve for agreeing to post those scores.

For what its worth, my programme for the KTT in 1977 has Vic Harding down as scoring 6 points and Barney Kennett 2. However, I might easily have made a mistake following the sensational penultimate Heat 19 which featured all three unbeaten riders in Tom Owen, Colin Richardson and Martin Yeates. Heat 20 was therefore something of an anti-climax!! So Parsloes your scores may well be correct.

Paul

Thanks Steve for agreeing to post those scores.

For what its worth, my programme for the KTT in 1977 has Vic Harding down as scoring 6 points and Barney Kennett 2. However, I might easily have made a mistake following the sensational penultimate Heat 19 which featured all three unbeaten riders in Tom Owen, Colin Richardson and Martin Yeates. Heat 20 was therefore something of an anti-climax!! So Parsloes your scores may well be correct.

Paul

Well I doubt it though, not if both of the other two of you had it differently! Maybe I was rushing off to the station to get the train (could've been a later than normal finish) and so got heat 20 wrong...

I think that this is one of the BEST Threads on this Forum. It is GREAT to see everyone helping each other out. That is just the way it should be.

If I need my faith in human nature rtestoring - I read this Thread.

Thank You.

Ian

Hi Paul

Here's the Ellesmere Port details for 26 May 1977

Crayford 46 - Alan Sage 12, Colin Gooddy 9, Laurie Etheridge 7, Richard Davey 5, Alan Johns 5, Mike Bessant 4, Garry May 4

Ellesmere Port 30- Steve Finch 15, John Jackson 12, Phil Collins 2, Louis Carr 1, Paul Sheard 0, John Williams 0, Steve Hartley R/R

Ht 01: Jackson, Etheridge, Davey, Williams 59.4 (3-3)

Ht 02: May, Bessant, Carr, Sheard 62.2 (8-4)

Ht 03; Sage, Finch, Collins (ret), Johns (exc unfair riding) 60.2 (11-6)

Ht 04: Finch, Gooddy, Bessant, Sheard 60.4 (14-9)

Ht 05: Sage, Jackson, Johns, Williams 59.2 (18-11)

Ht 06: Finch, Etheridge, Davey, Carr 59.8 (21-14)

Ht 07: Gooddy, Jackson, Bessant, Collins 61.6 (25-16)

Ht 08: Finch, Davey, Collins (awarded), May (f exc) 61.0 (27-20)

Ht 09: Sage, Johns, Finch, Carr 60.2 (32-21)

Ht 10: Etheridge, Jackson, Davey, Collins 60.4 (36-23)

Ht 11: Jackson, Gooddy, May, Williams 61.2 (39-26)

Ht 12: Finch, Johns, Collins, Etheridge (ef) 60.6 (41-30)

Ht 13: Sage, Gooddy, Collins (f exc), Jackson (ret) 61.6 (46-30)

As you might have guessed I am a Gunners fan.

Strangely in all the meetings between the Gunners and the Kestrels the home side tasted victory. Both teams was never even close to an away win in eight seasons of league meetings. This may have been as a result of the vastly differing track lengths.

Steve Finch always seemed to ride well at London Road while the great John Jackson wasn't so dominant on his visits.

More to follow !

Edited by steve19620

Hi Steve

Thanks for the Ellesmere Port scores. I always looked forward to the visit of your team because they along with the likes of Newcastle and Eastbourne were one of the top sides in the mid 70s. I do remember Steve Finch having a really good night in the above meeting. As you say, John Jackson was less successful around our small circuit although I was always surprised that he never featured in any of the Kentish Times Trophies. In fact, the best I ever saw of him was at the 1975, 1976 and 1977 National League Riders Championship at Wimbledon. We used to travel to this event each year on the Supporters Club coach and I've got a feeling that I saw your man come 2nd or 3rd one year.

Paul

Hi Steve

Thanks for the Ellesmere Port scores. I always looked forward to the visit of your team because they along with the likes of Newcastle and Eastbourne were one of the top sides in the mid 70s. I do remember Steve Finch having a really good night in the above meeting. As you say, John Jackson was less successful around our small circuit although I was always surprised that he never featured in any of the Kentish Times Trophies. In fact, the best I ever saw of him was at the 1975, 1976 and 1977 National League Riders Championship at Wimbledon. We used to travel to this event each year on the Supporters Club coach and I've got a feeling that I saw your man come 2nd or 3rd one year.

Paul

One of the main reasons that the Gunners riders never rode in individual meetings at Crayford was that both tracks shared the same raceday (Tuesday from 1975 -77). A bit difficult being in two places at once !

John Jackson also finished second in 1978 in NLRC whilst Steve Finch was third in the 1980 staging.

Will sort the other meetings later this week

Steve