British Speedway Forum
Paul

Kent 2013

Hi

Thought I would cover some of the recent posts on here where I can.

1) Benji replacing David.

That's a tough one for me as I have known David for years and sponsored him this year as well as working hard to get him a load of new local sponsors. What I do know from speaking to David is that he is raring to get another team spot and I wish him well.

2) Website still showing David.

We would have taken photos of Benji and the team on Monday but for the postponement. This will be sorted this weekend and we welcome Benji to the Kings.

3) The three pointers.

The promotion had a strategy that meant having three 3 pointers and knew it would take time. Don't forget not only are they new to NL racing full time, but on a new track as well. Confidence is everything with these lads and I'm sure they will show what they can do as each meeting goes on. They have been given a chance, which is all they ask for.

Finally its certainly a tough weekend with the three meetings in three days but I can assure you all they are all raring to go.

Nikko

• Like 1

Good meeting for Adam Kirby tonight riding for Kings Lynn Young Stars. He scored 5+1 from 4 riding at number 4 and he's never ridden at Monmore before. Well done Adam.

so . 1 point from a 3 rider race . and 2 second places in 3 rider races beating only his own man constitutes a good night for Adam does it . well i suppose he did manage to stay on for 3 races so that is an improvement

The Kent CTA Fire Kings have a busy weekend this Bank Holiday with meetings away to Buxton on Sunday, Home to Mildenhall on Monday and then away to the IOW on Tuesday.

The promotional side continues, with another interview recorded with BBC Radio Kent this morning, and with a stand at Frittenden on Sunday.

With regards to recent "digs" about our younger riders, just a personal comment from myself, but I do wonder why people bother writing such things, you have young British lads being given a chance and having a go and yet some people just seem to knock everything they do. Its such a same.

so . 1 point from a 3 rider race . and 2 second places in 3 rider races beating only his own man constitutes a good night for Adam does it . well i suppose he did manage to stay on for 3 races so that is an improvement

Could David Mason have matched a performance like that!!! Or rather what an odd sport it is that under its system of equalisation can eject those with ability yet retain those "not quite so good"? Has this equalisation system that can put those of ability out of work ever been tested under labour law?

With regards to recent "digs" about our younger riders, just a personal comment from myself, but I do wonder why people bother writing such things, you have young British lads being given a chance and having a go and yet some people just seem to knock everything they do. Its such a same.

It's a hard world but that's what it's all about!

Edited by Guest

Well done Jim for another pointless post.God you are boring. :blink:

Well done Jim for another pointless post.God you are boring. :blink:

At least I am not posting utter tosh trying to intimate that Adam Kirby scored any valid points at Dudley , sometimes the truth is rather more boring than fantsasy !!!

Edited by jim the whipper

The weather is looking good for Monday, really looking forward to the meeting. Will be interesting to see how new rider Benji Compton does. Hopefully people can put the David Mason situation in the past where it belongs and look to the future. I do worry about our 3.00 avg riders, when they line together up its not a matter of wondering how many points they are going to get but more wondering if they are going to make it round the track 4 times. Plus when they race together chances are we are going to give away a 5-1 that will need to be clawed back. But they are young riders on a new track and their performances can only get better. Fingers crossed

At least I am not posting utter tosh trying to intimate that Adam Kirby scored any valid points at Dudley , sometimes the truth is rather more boring than fantsasy !!!

In terms of his confidence they were very valid points, as was the experience of racing at Monmore for the first time. I find it very sad that a 'speedway fan' can be so negative towards young riders who need all the encouragement they can get.

I appreciate this is a forum and all opinions are valid but have you considered saying something positive on here for a change?

• Like 3

Highly negative posters like the Whipper here,, and Cris at Rye ,thrive on responses just ignore them they will eventually get fed up that nobody is taking any notice of them and go away......

• Like 3

I'm a little confused here. Is the NL the genuine third level of speedway, or is it a training league?... The gulf between the top riders and those at the bottom is so huge you can almost fill in your programme as they're at the tapes in some races... Surely riders should learn the basics, ie being able to stay on the bike for 4 laps, before they're even considered for a NL place. Sorry if anyone's annoyed or upset by this. It's not a critisism, just an observation.

I'm a little confused here. Is the NL the genuine third level of speedway, or is it a training league?... The gulf between the top riders and those at the bottom is so huge you can almost fill in your programme as they're at the tapes in some races... Surely riders should learn the basics, ie being able to stay on the bike for 4 laps, before they're even considered for a NL place. Sorry if anyone's annoyed or upset by this. It's not a critisism, just an observation.

In a way the National League is a form of a training league and as these kids are barely out of school they are learning to ply their trade and become full time riders. As this is Adam Kirby's first season of full time racing he should be given time to settle and maybe him and other young lads who need to start somewhere will get more laps and races under their belts and will hopefully show improvement and one day become Premier League or Elite League riders of the future.

Not all of them can be naturally gifted and talented as the likes of Tai Woffinden and be an instant success like he was at Rye House, though I can still remember a certain Rye House rider in the 90's called Trevor O'Brien, who when first started racing could not do 2 bends without falling let alone 4 laps,but with time became a heat leader whilst riding with the like's of Jens Rasmussen & Martin Goodwin with him becoming a cult hero with the Rye House supporters.

• Like 1

I think the NL has such a mixed agenda it is possibly struggling to find it's own identity. Stand alone fans find it their only speedway league racing and obviously want to win 2nd clubs it's watching the juniors develop. The answer doesn't seem to be an easy one but if anyone does then they will have found the golden goose I think

In a way the National League is a form of a training league and as these kids are barely out of school they are learning to ply their trade and become full time riders. As this is Adam Kirby's first season of full time racing he should be given time to settle and maybe him and other young lads who need to start somewhere will get more laps and races under their belts and will hopefully show improvement and one day become Premier League or Elite League riders of the future.

Not all of them can be naturally gifted and talented as the likes of Tai Woffinden and be an instant success like he was at Rye House, though I can still remember a certain Rye House rider in the 90's called Trevor O'Brien, who when first started racing could not do 2 bends without falling let alone 4 laps,but with time became a heat leader whilst riding with the like's of Jens Rasmussen & Martin Goodwin with him becoming a cult hero with the Rye House supporters.

A rider closer to the here and now. He slid more on his backside than the bike 'Richie Worral'l and now look at him ;-)

I think the NL has such a mixed agenda it is possibly struggling to find it's own identity. Stand alone fans find it their only speedway league racing and obviously want to win 2nd clubs it's watching the juniors develop. The answer doesn't seem to be an easy one but if anyone does then they will have found the golden goose I think

I agree. Thing is stand alone teams like Mildenhall, IOW, Kent & Dudley etc need to be strong. Unfortunately in Kents case signing Steve Boxall has meant that the tail is very long. Shouldn't impact too much on attendances as the novelty value hasn't kicked in yet and the people of Kent are happy to have a speedway back in the county. I'm not sure how long they'll put up with a losing side.

As a stand alone team it should have been considerably stronger,,it was built to accomodate Steve Boxall with a very high average and Robert Lambert with a ridiculously low one like Adam Ellis at the I.O.W ,,coming in at reserve ...Ellis signed ,,Lambert did,nt ..Hence the present situation,,not ideal and difficult now to resolve,,personally i feel sorry for David Mason he put a lot into pre season promotions and would have improved when and if ?? the track improves,, and it remains to be seen if Benji Compton can return to his best form on a track that at the moment is far from ideal for any rider.....Let alone first season rookies !!..

I take it you were there JTW ? , adam was leading the Heathens No1 in the one race when Ash brought Adam down, In the others he was competitive, meaning a close up second, so if you werent there, i suggest you keep your bare fact observations to yourself, and let people who were there say it as they saw it, adam improved as the meeting went on, which is all you can expect from a young rider.

• Like 2