British Speedway Forum
SCB

Speedway Websites

Just looking at one clubs website and i had a mini heart attack. It was terrible. Why do speedway clubs continue to put out substandard websites? And even more worryingly it seems they pay for them some times. Club would be better with no website than some of the crap some clubs have.

So who has the best and worst websites?

One of the best: Sunderland Speedway - Defunct Track.

http://www.sunderlandspeedway.co.uk

Dantodans Speedway History Site is excellent too. :approve: :approve:

http://www.newcastle...ayhistory.co.uk

Edited by The White Knight

The Eastbourne official site is not great and since the revamp doesn't load properly on my phone, tries to refresh the twitter feed but just blanks out the screen!

Edited by MrB

Rhy House used to be awful but I see it is being revamped.

Just looking at one clubs website and i had a mini heart attack. It was terrible. Why do speedway clubs continue to put out substandard websites? And even more worryingly it seems they pay for them some times. Club would be better with no website than some of the crap some clubs have.

Because I suspect like many things within the speedway world, it seems to be another example of speedway jobs for speedway mates.

Many of the official sites seem to have be done by the same person using the same naff CMS system with gharish colours. Sorry, I know the guy behind them is part of the forum, but I am afraid the feedback is valid, the sites are nearly all dated back to the 90s, the types of sites common in the days of old netscape broswers, who remembers netscape broswer? From the official BSPA site, to the Pratson's, to many of the official speedway sites, they are all mirror sites using the same CMS format with naff colours.

And before anyone accuses me of being negative for the sake of it and tell me to do better, which is the standard response on here, I can do better, I come from a web design background myself. The thing is with speedway, the racing might be crap sometimes, but you can capture some amazing still action shots, and video clips which would really help create some great visually fantastic websites.

Some of the modern CMS systems (and I don't mean Wordpress) are very powerful, and can help create brilliant websites, but the skill of a good web designer is to create sites which look individual, not some standard template.

Edited by TheReturn
  • Like 3

Some are shocking! I often judge companies (outside of Speedway) by their websites and if they look that poor I'm very easily put off.

Some Speedway websites remind me of small children who have just discovered Word Art and try to use all the different types haha!

Some Speedway websites remind me of small children who have just discovered Word Art and try to use all the different types haha!

So you've seen http://www.kentspeed...ebdesign.co.uk/ as well then? :s

Seriously, iframes? They died 10 years ago! All that space on a page wasted and the actually "content" squashed into a tiny box.

Edited by SCB

I see a lot of sites are under redesigning atm

Mmmmmmm - Pie and Pipe.

Very curious Watson....................................................... :blink: :blink:

• Like 1

So you've seen http://www.kentspeed...ebdesign.co.uk/ as well then? :s

Seriously, iframes? They died 10 years ago! All that space on a page wasted and the actually "content" squashed into a tiny box.

No I hadn't haha! I'm sure I did a better site for school projects using html :lol: I suddenly want to book time off work to attend though! :D

You don't have to look far to see why this sport will never step into the modern day or grow!

Surely the kent website is under construction and until we see the finished product is there we should wait instead of picking faults