British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Irk Deflector

24th August 2013 Gp Challenge @ Poole

the trouble is most of todays top riders could not ride a proper track will dirt on it , so gating is paramount, I.M.O the lack of well prepared tracks is whats killing the sport, more and more meetings are becoming boring ,inc the gps, I thing each track should be prepared with a certain amount of dirt on it and if the start tarts don't like it go and race a road bike

• Like 2

If a reserve was 100% commited he would travel at own expense. (Thats life, thats business) You have to lose / risk something to try and get better.

For all the moaning about Harris he seems to grab every opportunity to ride, not sure being in the GP is the the best thing for him but its up to him to decide that not us.

I agree that he MUST improve gating to compete at the highest level. He is so skilled, brave and commited on a speedway bike it would be a waste of talent if he never improved his gating!

Bomber you must spend the winter getting coached, practicing, focusing, adjusting, setting up for GATING!

Gating has always been paramount just ask Ivan Mauger. I remember an article by peter collins when he said that him and mark loram with better gating would possibly have won more than 1 world title. Don't see a lot of difference today IMO to years gone by.

Gating has always been paramount just ask Ivan Mauger. I remember an article by peter collins when he said that him and mark loram with better gating would possibly have won more than 1 world title. Don't see a lot of difference today IMO to years gone by.

If a reserve was 100% commited he would travel at own expense. (Thats life, thats business) You have to lose / risk something to try and get better.

For all the moaning about Harris he seems to grab every opportunity to ride, not sure being in the GP is the the best thing for him but its up to him to decide that not us.

I agree that he MUST improve gating to compete at the highest level. He is so skilled, brave and commited on a speedway bike it would be a waste of talent if he never improved his gating!

Bomber you must spend the winter getting coached, practicing, focusing, adjusting, setting up for GATING!

Harris gating will never get better due to the slowest of his brain, meaning he can't react quick enough .

Unfortunately Harris is not the rider he was, you only have to look at his Elite League average and who is beating him in the League. For his sake I hope he does not take part and save him and us the embarrassment of watching him trail round at the back in another GP season.

Again with this "embarrassment" thing. Why are you, as a human, even thinking about getting embarrassed over this ?

Do you seriously imagine yourself sitting in front of your telly going red in the face, shuffling nervously as you watch Harris possibly trailing in last ? If you do, i suggest you pop in to your doctor's surgery first thing tomorrow.

I cannot fathom how so many people on this forum seem to want to immerse themselves in the sport so much that they are living and breathing every single emotion and argument connected with the sport.

Unless you're a rider, or actually involved directly in the sport, is it beyond you to actually just enjoy the meetings and leave the embarrassment to the rider himself ?

If I was a professional speedway rider who was serious about getting into the world championship and knew that there were genuine doubts about riders taking part and I was first in line to replace them then yes I definitely would actually.

I travel thousands of miles a year in my sport, almost always at my own expense, to try and succeed at the top level. If I was told there were serious doubts about someone playing in the world championship and if I was there I could take their place I'd be there, without question.

[

Pointless reply really. I don't believe that little tale either. Riders don't have a bottomless pit of money to spray up the wall at the drop of a hat. A 4000km round trip is not something to take lightly.

Putting myself in that kind of position, and not in the cloud cuckoo land some of you lot live in, i would be thinking...blimey, am i ready to risk x amount of money to do the 4000km trip for potentially nothing ? if i was to race and go through, am i ready to go in to the gp's full tilt next season anyway physically and financially ? am i prepared enough right now to fancy my chances at at the meeting anyway ?

All these are valid questions that professionals would ask before they do something. Unless you know the answers to all of them, probably best not to guess at reasons or to wind some elaborate tale about chasing your own world championship dream in whatever "sport" you compete in.

• Like 1

Don't think it has anything to do with how slow his brain is to be 5 yds down going into the 1st bend on a regular basis must mean chris has a serious starting technique.

Don't think it has anything to do with how slow his brain is to be 5 yds down going into the 1st bend on a regular basis must mean chris has a serious starting technique.

He can't react quick enough all to do with brain speed

So harris makes 100 starts and because of his brain speed he makes 100 bad starts ? Well that's not true is it ,I would say he makes say 1 in 5 unless he has the brain speed of a dodo or me its his technique

So harris makes 100 starts and because of his brain speed he makes 100 bad starts ? Well that's not true is it ,I would say he makes say 1 in 5 unless he has the brain speed of a dodo or me its his technique

what do you think starting technique is ? to me it's how quick you can react to when the tapes lift mixed in with how the bike is set up .

PLENTY of knowledgable riders will tell you that technique is important. Where and how you sit on the bike, etc. Where I would agree, Chris is lacking in his seeming inability to take on board what advice he could seek.

Mauger and Gollob had a particular technique which worked for them; Hancock, too. Others like Wiltshire and Tatum were almost instinctive.

• Like 1

.... or to wind some elaborate tale about chasing your own world championship dream in whatever "sport" you compete in.

Not that it's anything to do with anything, but what I said is completely true. I'm really not concerned about whether you choose to believe it but if it bothers you that much I'll gladly send you the receipts for the 500 mile round trip this weekend, the 600 mile round trip the weekend after or the countless others throughout the winter. And I 100% guarantee you that if I was first reserve for the world championships and had a genuine chance of playing then I would be there. Again, whether you choose to believe it is not a concern to me, I'm simply stating fact. It's called commitment.

You seem very bitter in your post, are you getting bored of sitting at your computer screen watching other people's achievements or something?

Edited by Cornishman

Yes there is always the reaction time, but there is so much in the technique, body position, throttle control, weight transfer, bike set up, clutch set up, tyre pressure, practice practice practice

Some people have a certain amount of instinct and can get away with it to a certain extent. But practice makes these people even better!!!!!!!

Edited by Mixy230

PLENTY of knowledgable riders will tell you that technique is important. Where and how you sit on the bike, etc. Where I would agree, Chris is lacking in his seeming inability to take on board what advice he could seek.

Mauger and Gollob had a particular technique which worked for them; Hancock, too. Others like Wiltshire and Tatum were almost instinctive.

I also think that the weight will matter as well, at least to some extent., Too heavy and the bike will accelerate a little less quickly,

but if the riders is too light there might not be enough weight on the back wheel to get enough grip

I also think that the weight will matter as well, at least to some extent., Too heavy and the bike will accelerate a little less quickly,

but if the riders is too light there might not be enough weight on the back wheel to get enough grip

Aha! that gives me an idea for a thread in the General section - i'll quote ya there lol. I could ask the questions here but it will sidetrack severely from the topic if i do.

You seem very bitter in your post, are you getting bored of sitting at your computer screen watching other people's achievements or something?

Erm no...and other peoples achievements ?? What are you on..

What may come across as bitter is simply frustration at people who know diddly squat about the decisions and daily grind a speedway rider and the administrators have to contend with. People's lack of grip on this forum is hilarious and it is no wonder when it's referred to in a poor light by so many people.