British Speedway Forum
michaelcroucher

Speedway On Eurosport

As I said all down to opinions, I have mine and you have yours, no need for all of the less than complimentary wording of your post, we are all adults, lets act like them.

That certainly happens here all the time.

You must expect criticism when you come out with such a post as the one you made.

You are seriously saying that you thought the babbling idiot Eurosport put at the centre of their coverage was in any way better than SKY's panel of speedway experts and enthusiastic anchor man?

It is indeed about opinions but it never stops the anti Kel and Nige brigade from thier attacks on the two world feed commentators or the SKY panel so what makes your man immune to this kind of critique?

The Eurosport anchor was an utter imbicile that did not even know where the GP was. How in any way was he better than he was in previous weeks?

And how do Eurosport treat the audience like adults when their presenter would make Zippy & Bungle blush.

Whilst we all appreciate (hopefully!) the coverage Speedway gets, in comparison to none at all. I think the tv coverage does go on too long. I liked Eurosports new guy with Scott on the Cardiff gp set who i think added a new slant, as he seemed to be conveying what a "new viewer/live guest in Cardiff" might be experiencing eg, "its so loud" " wow the atmosphere is brilliant" etc.....and this can only help other "newbies" want to take a peep at this GREAT sport of ours!. I think there is no need for the filler fella!! as in he's only going over what we've just seen in the prev 4 heats. Then again I cannot think of what they could do instead. :lol: I think if Sky do keep the League racing they should try and show a good mix of EL and PL meetings as the EL is not necesserily where the best racing is anymore. Maybe if they had more choices of where meetings are they could avoid the rainoffs a bit more......head to the sun fellas!!

How about a walk around the padock and pits like they do in moto GP and superbikes? No need to chat with the riders all the time, just show the bikes, the work going on and maybe have a bit of technical chat going on with someone in the know?

How about a walk around the padock and pits like they do in moto GP and superbikes? No need to chat with the riders all the time, just show the bikes, the work going on and maybe have a bit of technical chat going on with someone in the know?

And where are these pictures going to come from!!!!

You must expect criticism when you come out with such a post as the one you made.

You are seriously saying that you thought the babbling idiot Eurosport put at the centre of their coverage was in any way better than SKY's panel of speedway experts and enthusiastic anchor man?

It is indeed about opinions but it never stops the anti Kel and Nige brigade from thier attacks on the two world feed commentators or the SKY panel so what makes your man immune to this kind of critique?

The Eurosport anchor was an utter imbicile that did not even know where the GP was. How in any way was he better than he was in previous weeks?

And how do Eurosport treat the audience like adults when their presenter would make Zippy & Bungle blush.

Odd at the start of the show he said welcome to wonderful Copenhagen, then for the next 3 hours said welcome back to Moldow, I hope he comes cheap as I wouldn't pay him in washers, care in the community has a lot to answer to.lol

Not trying to change your opinion, just offering my own opinion, which I still stick with. We are all different and that is what makes the world such an interesting place to live. Enjoy your speedway.

And where are these pictures going to come from!!!!

Did you used to be a Headmaster?!!!!

Well Sir, (sniff), there is obviously a camera around the paddock and pit area (gulp) as we've seen the riders in there so maybe that could be used (if it isn't already) and (shake), Eurosport could tap into that? (holds out hand waiting for the sting of cane on flesh!!!!)

I know that when British Eurosport took on the Moto GP, (from plain old Eurosport), between races they used to go back to the studio and have lots of chat like mates down a pub, most of it retrospective or speculative. They've now gone back to wandering around with a camera whilst the commentators talk about (mostly) relevant stuff over the shots. Just a thought that's all. Have you got any? :lol: PS Should I bend over now or do you want to see me in your office after school?

• Like 1

Did you used to be a Headmaster?!!!!

Well Sir, (sniff), there is obviously a camera around the paddock and pit area (gulp) as we've seen the riders in there so maybe that could be used (if it isn't already) and (shake), Eurosport could tap into that? (holds out hand waiting for the sting of cane on flesh!!!!)

I know that when British Eurosport took on the Moto GP, (from plain old Eurosport), between races they used to go back to the studio and have lots of chat like mates down a pub, most of it retrospective or speculative. They've now gone back to wandering around with a camera whilst the commentators talk about (mostly) relevant stuff over the shots. Just a thought that's all. Have you got any? :lol: PS Should I bend over now or do you want to see me in your office after school?

The question "Where are the pictures going to come from?" was a very reasonable point and not deserving of such an insulting reply.

It's been explained on here before that with the exception of Cardiff, Eurosport (it's only called British Eurosport in Britain - we get a different schedule due to programming rights) aren't at the meetings at all. BSI are in charge of the meeting coverage which is carried by several broadcasters across the world, notably Australia.

In the past Sky would use most of this 'feed' and cutting back to their studio when there were gaps. Eurosport instead carry more of the 'feed' just adding a very poor voiced-over summary after each four heats, presumably from a broom cupboard somewhere in the UK.

If there is a spare camera at the track it's not Eurosport's to control. Of course they could spend cash and send a cameraman but I doubt they'd find it economically worthwhile.

As ever, it's almost certainly all about money. Well, they're surely not paying out much to hire the babbling Carter.

Apologies if I also sound like some disliked authority figure, I'm just someone trying to pass on a bit of his experience.

Edited by rmc
  • Like 1

As ever, it's almost certainly all about money. Well, they're surely not paying out much to hire the babbling Carter.

Apologies if I also sound like some disliked authority figure, I'm just someone trying to pass on a bit of his experience.

So you don't like it when people are critical of your mate Pearson, but it is ok for you to refer to a 'babbling' Carter?

• Like 2

And as I suggested rmc, maybe Eurosport could use that feed at interval times as they used to and do today at moto gp and superbikes. My original post wasn't some ill thought point, more of a suggestiion for concideration. My reply to oldace may have been a bit flippant but the use of the exclamation marks suggested an irritated post by him.

I stand by my suggestion that if cameras are in use around the pits and paddock, maybe (note 'maybe') they could be used by broadcasters including Eurosport? I can't recall saying that Eurosport had control of anything, I have no idea of any costs that may be incurred, I don't know what goes on in the board room meetings and how these decisions come to be made. I'm merely posting an opinion/thought on an open forum.

Sorry for any offence caused but we can all be offended from time to time, it just depends on how the words are written and then understood.

So you don't like it when people are critical of your mate Pearson, but it is ok for you to refer to a 'babbling' Carter?

I said it once when it was relevant and accurate. You say it endlessly when it is totally irrelevant and inaccurate.

By the way I have never met or knowingly contacted Nigel Pearson. He does a good job but he is not my 'mate'.Carter does not do even do a job that approaches acceptability. It's that simple.

If I were to repeat my criticism of Carter hundreds of times in a worryingly obsessive manner I would just about begin to consider your criticism valid. I haven't and don't.

Your suggestion that one can only defend a 'mate' is beneath contempt.

Get back in the playground before you bore yet more people with your stupidity..

For one who presumes to use logic, albeit a rather twisted form, you're pretty appalling at actually applying it.

And as I suggested rmc, maybe Eurosport could use that feed at interval times as they used to and do today at moto gp and superbikes. My original post wasn't some ill thought point, more of a suggestiion for concideration. My reply to oldace may have been a bit flippant but the use of the exclamation marks suggested an irritated post by him.

I stand by my suggestion that if cameras are in use around the pits and paddock, maybe (note 'maybe') they could be used by broadcasters including Eurosport? I can't recall saying that Eurosport had control of anything, I have no idea of any costs that may be incurred, I don't know what goes on in the board room meetings and how these decisions come to be made. I'm merely posting an opinion/thought on an open forum.

Sorry for any offence caused but we can all be offended from time to time, it just depends on how the words are written and then understood.

And all I am saying is there are very good reasons why it is unlikely to be possible. I was only trying to inform you based on my experience. Clearly I was wasting my time.

My contributions to the debate over the televising of speedway in this and other threads has been intended to try to help people to understand what has been going on. To be honest it's one aspect of the sport where I do have some professional experience, albeit many years ago, to fall back on.

I offer this to help people and yet the old forum curse seems impossible to avoid. I read this forum to get information and some insight into what's going on, although you have to sift through a hell of a lot of rubbish to get to the real information. In return I try to make a hopefully valid contribution.

Sadly others only see this as a place to further their obsessive points of view or to just have a good old fight. They win, it's back to 'read only' on my part. I've done my bit, and as usual it just gets thrown back in my face.

Edited by rmc

It is a strange thing about the world feed though isn't it.

I understand that Kelv and Nige will need to take a pee at some point; and that the various ad breaks and extras that broadcasters may insert require that break.

But when we return to the commentary pair it is never them saying 'welcome back' or anything. Instead we seem to meet them mid conversation, almost.

As if the feed has been running already.

The feed is not created by BSI, it is a production company employed by them and the facilities are different at each GP depending on who is the host broadcaster.

I just wonder why the feed providers don't get (say) Steve Brandon to fill in with his own bit or provide a few more interviews (perhaps in pre recorded packages) for use by the feed-users.

There are so many other people to talk to who could add insight - tuners, managers, officials etc - yet we only ever get repetitive rider interviews.

Just mentioning Steve Brandon, I know only a little about the guy from his interviewing and that he is the floor manager but he does seem a very under-used resource by the TV people.

He does have an encyclopedic knowledge of the GP stats and knows everybody and everyone. on the GP scene

Why are we always trying to get a TV person who knows nothing when there is one on the spot who knows so much?

Edited by Grand Central

Well, I'm very happy with the coverage of the GPs on a Saturday night, courtesy of Eurosport! OK, the voice-overs may not be exactly accurate but I'm sure in time things will improve when they become more familiar with speedway and the riders' names and not just World/British Superbikes/Motogp (which they do a great coverage of!)...At least we get to see the GP in all it's fine and glory!

Edited by Hel'n'Back

Instead we seem to meet them mid conversation, almost.

As if the feed has been running already.

I watched the world feed via the SGP website last weekend whilst on holiday, and NP and KT talk for the entire duration of the broadcast. They even analysed the previous 4 heats of the replay sequences that Eurosport show but have their guy talk over.

As Eurosport have ad breaks they choose to link with their continuity announcer who no doubt can hear NP & KT in his headphones and they then cut back to the world feed when they decide to do so. Usually it would appear when the Eurosport guy has run out of things to say.

Unfortunately IMO it makes these links appear very 'messy' and unfortunately it's made much worse by the Eurosport guys lack of knowledge.

I watched the world feed via the SGP website last weekend whilst on holiday, and NP and KT talk for the entire duration of the broadcast. They even analysed the previous 4 heats of the replay sequences that Eurosport show but have their guy talk over.

As Eurosport have ad breaks they choose to link with their continuity announcer who no doubt can hear NP & KT in his headphones and they then cut back to the world feed when they decide to do so. Usually it would appear when the Eurosport guy has run out of things to say.

Unfortunately IMO it makes these links appear very 'messy' and unfortunately it's made much worse by the Eurosport guys lack of knowledge.

Thanks for that extra info.

I thought it would be likely that the commentary just continued.

So why the hell do they employ Carter the Clown at all?

Edited by Grand Central
  • Like 1

And all I am saying is there are very good reasons why it is unlikely to be possible. I was only trying to inform you based on my experience. Clearly I was wasting my time.

My contributions to the debate over the televising of speedway in this and other threads has been intended to try to help people to understand what has been going on. To be honest it's one aspect of the sport where I do have some professional experience, albeit many years ago, to fall back on.

I offer this to help people and yet the old forum curse seems impossible to avoid. I read this forum to get information and some insight into what's going on, although you have to sift through a hell of a lot of rubbish to get to the real information. In return I try to make a hopefully valid contribution.

Sadly others only see this as a place to further their obsessive points of view or to just have a good old fight. They win, it's back to 'read only' on my part. I've done my bit, and as usual it just gets thrown back in my face.

No, not wasting your time, information is always welcome in a debate. But from my point of view, I only suggested something that works for other televised motorcycle sport - I don't see why I have to be replied to in a condecending tone, although as I said before, maybe the way it was written wasn't the way it was read? And it's hardly being obsessive - it's the first time I mentioned it - and I'm certainly not looking for a fight.

Don't stop posting your thoughts, ideas and information. It's all part of the debate. Hopefully something good will come out of it somewhere and who knows, some of the suggestions on the forum will be taken on board.