British Speedway Forum
Mad Potter 2

Use Of Titanium

No they're not. You guys just make it look easy! :t:

I completely understand the point you're making, and agree with you that psychology can play a huge part. But, if as you've stated and seems to be the general view that nobody wants the titanium parts then why is anyone going to buy them? Why don't the riders just refuse en masse to buy the parts? Has any rider actual come out in favour and stated that he's going to buying in to it? Just rhetorical questions Dean. :)

It just needs one rider to buy it get a result and everyone will have it . I think all the gp riders have already tested it by now. Speedway bikes are very easy to ride but racing them is rocket science

I don't know about anyone else - but - I am learning a tremendous amount from all of these Posts on this Thread. I hope it keeps going.

GREAT Thread - and thank you to everyone taking part in the Discussions. :) :) :t:

I wish i were as good a rider as i am at explaining speedway

• Like 2

That I'm not sure of. I became friends with a chap at interspan (I think) back in 2003 when I was about to sign for Newport. I think the chaps name was Tony, not entirely sure. We had several conversations about magic boxes and which high profile riders use his products - he didn't at any point mention the great TR, thought he would have been the first person to mention?

Also funnily enough at no point did he ever try to sell me a magic box, or even let me try one! Coil packs all the way. Cheap and easy.

Might have the wrong box, but he did produce a top ignition box which were exclusively bought through him and cost a fortune. One of our Danes had one in about 2002 and that's how I knew about it.

saying that the extra power is wasted is misleading really . good tuners and great riders will be able to make the power usable . so a factory pilot such as Gollob who has both the technical backup and rider skill to make use of it will be seen to have an advantage . lesser riders will then think that the only reason they dont go as fast as gollob is because he has it and they don't . which is partly true , so the parts will become the key to success for many .

Edited by speedibee

Might have the wrong box, but he did produce a top ignition box which were exclusively bought through him and cost a fortune. One of our Danes had one in about 2002 and that's how I knew about it.

Was it Polsport or something like that? One of the first programmable ones... They all ended in the bin after one or two too many EF's in the polish league meetings. :lol: Trick indeed had his own Penske frame. Had some innovative things built on it. I thought it was pretty lame from him to say after he retired that there was nothing special on it. But whatever the truth behind it, it was all truly well played and even forced Crump to spend some of his valuable time on developing his own adjustable front suspension...

The story behind Rickardsson's Penske frame has been explained in a long article in Racecar Engineering a couple of years ago.

The story behind Rickardsson's Penske frame has been explained in a long article in Racecar Engineering a couple of years ago.

Finnish track racing magazine Speedwaysanomat also did it's own feature on the subject.

Finnish track racing magazine Speedwaysanomat also did it's own feature on the subject.

Does anyone have links to these articles?

Was it Polsport or something like that? One of the first programmable ones... They all ended in the bin after one or two too many EF's in the polish league meetings. :lol: Trick indeed had his own Penske frame. Had some innovative things built on it. I thought it was pretty lame from him to say after he retired that there was nothing special on it. But whatever the truth behind it, it was all truly well played and even forced Crump to spend some of his valuable time on developing his own adjustable front suspension...

Tony's ignition box was jezpol from Poland.

Where I don't think the use of titanium should be allowed, as there was no need last year, I will not be using it. Ok, I understand I am not a top rider but I'm decent enough and the costs far outweigh the benifits. I may get proven totally wrong on the 1000m LongTrack but I think a good engine is a good engine.

There is also the fact that there maybe lots of problems using the stuff, like not being able to cut valves. We compete in a dirty sport so how can you 100% say that no dust get in? Also and I cannot say about all con rods but what I've seen they use steel inserts and this could lead to other problems.

I am sure top riders will try it, maybe keep it , maybe not but these riders would win anyway as they are the best

Edited by dhr
  • Like 3

I don't know about anyone else - but - I am learning a tremendous amount from all of these Posts on this Thread. I hope it keeps going.

GREAT Thread - and thank you to everyone taking part in the Discussions. :) :) :t:

And me ,TWK I just learned that speedway is easy , suppose that's why riders from other sports say not bloody likely you have to be a nutter to ride one of them things on a narrow track with 3 other nutters and no brakes , but then again if 2 world champions are saying it's easy I suppose it must be :rofl:

• Like 1

Absolutely TWK - quite agree! :t:

• Like 1

OK I'll rephrase - the basic premise of speedway is easy. Getting a bike to slide doesn't take a massive amount of speed and you certainly don't have to be barging elbows with 3 other riders as soon as you get on one - riding the bike is fairly easy, racing the bike is a different kettle of fish altogether.

Some of the moves that you see riders doing nowadays are breathtaking, that requires some serious skill.

OK I'll rephrase - the basic premise of speedway is easy. Getting a bike to slide doesn't take a massive amount of speed and you certainly don't have to be barging elbows with 3 other riders as soon as you get on one - riding the bike is fairly easy, racing the bike is a different kettle of fish altogether.

Some of the moves that you see riders doing nowadays are breathtaking, that requires some serious skill.

I was just about to correct 21CH and say, if I can ride a speedway bike it's easy. throwing one around at speed and not falling off and racing side by side with 3 other guys I could not do, I have a sense of self preservation. So riding one = easy. Racing one = bloody hard.

Does anyone have links to these articles?

Dave,

I have to dig out the copy of RE. I will scan the article and e-mail it to you (need your e-m address). I know nothing about the Finnish version.

Edited by CS18

The frame on my bike is made completely out of Titanium, the other parts are pretty much good spec, not the best but good, the engine......................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................Well thats me. :lol::t:

• Like 1

One of those special frames that was custom built for Tony Rickaardson's riding style? It seemed to suit him pretty well :t:

Whilst we're on the subject of Tony's frames, I believe that he was the first rider to use a straight back loop whereas everyone else was still using the rounded type style - nice to see that every other frame manufacturer has now adopted this... The man was miles ahead of everyone else. Wasn't he also the first to use chain guides to stop them being thrown?

Trick was way ahead of the game with innovation, but Straight rear ends have been around for ages (look at old Rudge and Japs) just another someone good uses it, the sheep will follow!

I have got 12 year olds wanting to buy Blixt carbs off me because that's what Chris Holder uses etc and they can't ride a bike properly yet!

As for WSB and Moto GP being the way to go-was talking to an ex decent ish rider who told me he retired as to get to the next level in BSB he would need to find an extra million!!