British Speedway Forum
1st bend Kestrel

Crayford Speedway 30th Anniversary Reunion

Hi All,

After the fairly successful, albeit informal, get together of Crayford Speedway fans (and even a couple of ex riders) in February 2011 i wondered if it would be possible to arrange a 'proper' reunion of ex Riders, Fans, Management, Promoters, in fact, anyone involved in Crayford Speedway in any way at all. I worked out that Saturday October 26th this year is, to the day, 30 years since the last ever meeting at our beloved Bexleyheath and Crayford Stadium and set about asking (good) friends that i still have from following Crayford if they thought it could work and if they would want to get involved in this project? Happily their answer to both questions was yes and, now the venue is booked, all we have to do is sell all the tickets for "The Crayford Speedway 30th Reunion Dinner and Dance" and then have a great night.

Now, when i say "all we have to do is sell all the tickets" it is very much tongue-in-cheek as this will probably be the most difficult part but hopefully there will be as much enthusiasm for this event from the Speedway fraternity as there is from the organisers. Anyone interested in attending this (definitely not for profit) Dinner and Dance can find all the details on the newly formed Crayford Speedway website at www.crayfordkestrels.co.uk

Hopefully see you there,

Rowan.

Edited by 1st bend Kestrel
  • Like 1

Hi All,

After the fairly successful, albeit informal, get together of Crayford Speedway fans (and even a couple of ex riders) in February 2011 i wondered if it would be possible to arrange a 'proper' reunion of ex Riders, Fans, Management, Promoters, in fact, anyone involved in Crayford Speedway in any way at all. I worked out that Saturday October 26th this year is, to the day, 30 years since the last ever meeting at our beloved Bexleyheath and Crayford Stadium and set about asking (good) friends that i still have from following Crayford if they thought it could work and if they would want to get involved in this project? Happily their answer to both questions was yes and, now the venue is booked, all we have to do is sell all the tickets for "The Crayford Speedway 30th Reunion Dinner and Dance" and then have a great night.

Now, when i say "all we have to do is sell all the tickets" it is very much tongue-in-cheek as this will probably be the most difficult part but hopefully there will be as much enthusiasm for this event from the Speedway fraternity as there is from the organisers. Anyone interested in attending this (definitely not for profit) Dinner and Dance can find all the details on the newly formed Crayford Speedway website at www.crayfordkestrels.co.uk

Hopefully see you there,

Rowan.

The VERY BEST of luck with this Rowan. :t::approve: :approve:

scarletrider and myself who do something similar at Sunderland. (40 years in September next year since our demise).

Thanks for posting this thread Rowan - the website and in particular the 30th Reunion page are already starting to get some serious interest and I've already spoken to a couple of ex-riders.

Fingers crossed this all looks good for the 'big day'

Mark

The VERY BEST of luck with this Rowan. :t::approve: :approve:

scarletrider and myself who do something similar at Sunderland. (40 years in September next year since our demise).

Thank you for your good wishes White Knight, and i hope whatever you and Scarletrider arrange goes well.

30,40 years.....you never forget your team, eh?

• Like 2

Thank you for your good wishes White Knight, and i hope whatever you and Scarletrider arrange goes well.

30,40 years.....you never forget your team, eh?

Not on your life 1st bend Kestrel - not on your life. :t::) :)

Excellent breaking news on this reunion.

I can now confirm that Laurie Etheridge will be attending and is excited at the prospect of a 'proper' Crayford Speedway Reunion. He is also collating ex Riders contact details and 'spreading the word'.

• Like 1

Hopefully see you there,

Rowan.

Presumably you've not heard of Retro Speedway, because we can obviously help you with publicity for your event?

Having interviewed Peter Thorogood and Terry Russell, plus a number of ex-Kestrels riders for Backtrack magazine in the past nine years, we have useful contact details that I'd be happy to pass on.

You can email us at editorial@retro-speedway.com

Tony Mac

• Like 1

Presumably you've not heard of Retro Speedway, because we can obviously help you with publicity for your event?

Having interviewed Peter Thorogood and Terry Russell, plus a number of ex-Kestrels riders for Backtrack magazine in the past nine years, we have useful contact details that I'd be happy to pass on.

Tony Mac

Cheers Tony - you're a star mate!!

D.

Tony Mac

Hi Tony,

Thank you for your kind offer and as far as i'm aware Mark from the website has contacted you to take you up on it.

Cheers,

Rowan.

Hi Rowan so we can expect a (further) rush on sales?!!!

For anyone interested in getting tickets please send cheques payable to “The Kestrels 30th Anniversary” to: 5 Longmarsh View, Sutton At Hone, Dartford, Kent DA4 9DZ or alternatively, bank transfers to: sort code 77-95-18 (Lloyds Bank, PO Box 1000, BX1 1LT), account no. 83050960, favour of The Kestrels 30th Anniversary. If paying by bank transfer, please use your name as a reference and also e-mail: savage-d2@sky.com (with your name, address and ticket requirements).

Dave Savage takes the money in and I'm set and ready to ship more tickets out.

Kev

Yes, I've been in touch with Mark and will be forwarding all contact details to him ASAP.

Should be a cracking night.

Between now and then, we will also be putting together a Crayford History DVD, to further keep alive memories of the Highwaymen and Kestrels.

All more tickets been posted out, get yours soon to avoid disappointment.

To save you scrolling up two posts here are the details again!

Please send cheques payable to “The Kestrels 30th Anniversary” to: 5 Longmarsh View, Sutton At Hone, Dartford, Kent DA4 9DZ or alternatively, bank transfers to: sort code 77-95-18 (Lloyds Bank, PO Box 1000, BX1 1LT), account no. 83050960, favour of The Kestrels 30th Anniversary. If paying by bank transfer, please use your name as a reference and also e-mail: savage-d2@sky.com (with your name, address and ticket requirements).

Kev

The reunion got a mention in this week's Kent Kings Prog - very apt as it was the Tunnel Trophy v our "friends" from Rye House! Good win (first!!) for our newly adopted team. Also caught sight of Woodsie and Thommo at Lydd (sadly not riding).

There are still tickets left so anyone interested follow instructions as above and you will be in on the best Speedway reunion dinner ever held at Dartford FC!!!