British Speedway Forum

Crowd Size Differences!

The difference between speedway and other forms of motorcycle might be this: speedway is very much built on rider personalities and contests between clubs. Other forms of motorcycle sport feature a great deal more on the type of machinery being used with a lesser concentration on the actual competitors.

I think these days MCN likes to be regarded as a technical publication which possibly may explain its lack of interest in speedway and grass track racing (the latter was also covered strongly by them some 30 years ago).

these comments are totally spot on

I have always said if you want a big corwd then you have to look at what other coutries do to get crowds at speedway. Every Sunday i watch speedway on TV in Poland and the crowds are always full or nearly full. They also get big crowds in CZ every once in a while and sometimes in Denmark and Swenden if they can do it why cant the UK. I think the promoters dont help sky never did anything and i dont know if they are still like that but you want get big crowds if they keep speedway runnning the way they do.

speedway is very much built on rider personalities and contests between clubs.

PRECISELY. Its a team sport. 99% of the crowd just want to see their team win - they dont care if a particular rider has made any new mods to his bike. Actually - the bikes have less character now. Going back to my experiences of Wimbledon in the 60s it was possible to recognise any of the teams bikes because of the individual quirks they had, style of handlebars etc. It meant you could tell who might be a substitute in a race by seeing the bike wheeled out - before it was announced. Not that this has much to do with crowd size differences. . .

• Like 1

PRECISELY. Its a team sport. 99% of the crowd just want to see their team win - they dont care if a particular rider has made any new mods to his bike. Actually - the bikes have less character now. Going back to my experiences of Wimbledon in the 60s it was possible to recognise any of the teams bikes because of the individual quirks they had, style of handlebars etc. It meant you could tell who might be a substitute in a race by seeing the bike wheeled out - before it was announced. Not that this has much to do with crowd size differences. . .

no but it helps us understand where the appeal of the sport lies and it has never been in the technical stuff for me

which is why it is the one area costs could be cut - fans don't care about miles per hour jus close exciting racing. Find the cheapest kit possible to achieve this and charge £10 at the door..

It would be interesting to see if a track could survive by charging £10 on the door week in, week out. Granted they'd have to bring in nearly twice the crowd, but the increase in food/drink/merchandise sales should also increase as a result.

An experiment I'm assuming will never be attempted.

It would be interesting to see if a track could survive by charging £10 on the door week in, week out. Granted they'd have to bring in nearly twice the crowd, but the increase in food/drink/merchandise sales should also increase as a result.

An experiment I'm assuming will never be attempted.

no they wouldn't have to double their crowd!!!!

they'd be paying the riders less because the riders wouldn't have to shell out for daft exprensive kit

the point people are making is that the bikes dont matter - but the teams and riders do

massive vans and 5K bikes? The sport can't stand it - except at GP level

they can ride BSA Bantams for all i care

things started to get out of hand when 4 valvers came in and it gets more out of hand every bloody year

Edited by ch958
  • Like 1

they'd be paying the riders less because the riders wouldn't have to shell out for daft exprensive kit

the point people are making is that the bikes dont matter - but the teams and riders do

massive vans and 5K bikes? The sport can't stand it - except at GP level

they can ride BSA Bantams for all i care

things started to get out of hand when 4 valvers came in and it gets more out of hand every bloody year

B****y good Post!!

I particularly liked the BSA Bantam bit.

I don't think that Despatch Riders after WW2 had 'Lay Down Engines.

Yes - the Sport is PRICING itself out of Business. :sad: :sad: :sad:

• Like 1

no but it helps us understand where the appeal of the sport lies and it has never been in the technical stuff for me

which is why it is the one area costs could be cut - fans don't care about miles per hour jus close exciting racing. Find the cheapest kit possible to achieve this and charge £10 at the door..

Well go and watch cycle speedway then. No complicated internal combustion engines to baffle you there.

Well go and watch cycle speedway then. No complicated internal combustion engines to baffle you there.

honestly - have you got nothing better to do than make dumb ass comments

grow up

Or like Horse racing which in about 8 minutes in 3 hours, or 12 minutes of action in an hour at a tennis match. Then there is golf ,about 4 minutes of play in 4 hours.

Well observed indeed.

honestly - have you got nothing better to do than make dumb ass comments

grow up

So why is it dumb ass? It was a serious suggestion. You have stated you have an interest in speedway but are not bothered about the types of bike used and wish to see a cheaper form of the sport. Cycle speedway probably fits your ideal.

So why is it dumb ass? It was a serious suggestion. You have stated you have an interest in speedway but are not bothered about the types of bike used and wish to see a cheaper form of the sport. Cycle speedway probably fits your ideal.

I'll leave it to forum members to decide whether you're taking the p*ss or not

I know what i think

if you did a poll of fans 90 pc wouldn't care much about the bikes. You clearly do - thats fine

If a club charges £17 per meeting and drops this to £10, they would have to "pretty much" double their crowd to make that work - I did say:

"they'd have to bring in nearly twice the crowd"

that's basic business. it's pretty logical.

Riders are never going to take pay cuts, equipment is never going to get any cheaper. Promoters need to think outside the box to make ends meet and it won't involve cutting costs when it comes to paying riders.

If there is no Sky TV money next year, I think it WILL come to cutting top riders pay. Which will result in less top riders. Which will result in smaller crowds. Which will result in ... don't wanna go there ....