British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
oneandtwohalfs

Leicester V Workington Pl 18/05/13 7.30pm

In my oppinion the racing isn't the best but due to transport issues i can not go elsewhere at the moment.

Because the racing is dire they need to make the entertainment value top class but they don't even do that Chris Popple is truely awful on the centre green & he honestly believes he is the best in the game when you hear him speak. His voice is dull & there is no passion in his voice he makes it sound like people go to see him not the speedway.

I will NEVER forget when he publicly told me & all the crowd over the mic "to all my hater's & doubters let's hear you now , up yours "

When I attended Leicester last season, they had another chap on the infield, who was pretty good. Did his son also have a job there? Don't know their names, I'm afraid.

Popple, I know from other times and he's dire. Very egotistic, and "it's all about me"

You are correct you would have seen Rob Sensical on the centre he is very good enthusastic & has some real passion for the lions rob should be on the centre.

Luckily Rob is still around he does interveiws with riders during the meeting & he is brilliant at this he seems to do his homework about their past scores & recent form & know all the riders personally which makes his interveiws interesting & funny . He also hosts the end of match press conference with the 2 team managers & 1 rider from each team .

You are also correct that his son Tom is the stadium announcer doing the race results from the referee's box he is just like his dad very clear & add's little comments instead of being just boring & reading the results. He is less confident then hisbdad but you have to understand he is still very young around only 19 or 20. But he is super passionate & is lions through & through.

It is a damn shame they brought Chris Popple back because the whole night has lost its feel good factor with him back in the centre :-(

I will NEVER forget when he publicly told me & all the crowd over the mic "to all my hater's & doubters let's hear you now , up yours "

After only a couple of weeks back out on the centregreen and the week after his mate Dave Darcy's shocking Radio Leicester interview, and i'm sure in response to me mentioning on here that i thought even Chris Popple would be too embarrassed to mention the Popple named Dave Darcy stand this week, he gave us another 'up yours' by mentioning it about 100 times. It was trully embarrassing show of who's in charge.

• Like 1

After only a couple of weeks back out on the centregreen and the week after his mate Dave Darcy's shocking Radio Leicester interview, and i'm sure in response to me mentioning on here that i thought even Chris Popple would be too embarrassed to mention the Popple named Dave Darcy stand this week, he gave us another 'up yours' by mentioning it about 100 times. It was trully embarrassing show of who's in charge.

Very sad. Certainly puts me off the idea of another trip if Popple is there. A real meeting-spoiler.

Surprised Mr Hemsley has him back.

When Berwick the circuit visited last season, it was a good show. The track seemed fine, the racing was close and the presenter (it was definately Rob Sensical) was very good.

He is a yes man & is up Hemsley's arse so i thought he would have him back. But then i ask why make a positive change last season to have him back this year.

Hopefully by the time Berwick visit Rob will be back in the centre with Popple f**cked off

I have to agree that Chris on the centre green does not seem to have improved at all last season when it was Changed to have Rob on the centre.

This year I really like the interviews that Rob does he asks good well thought out questions and seems very varied he also gets the away fans involved in the night to create entertainment.

I'm not sure if many on here stay for the post match press conference but can highly recommend it and again good questions asked.

One thing I would like to see done is to make Tom in the box louder as people often comment they can not here him and the jingles seem to be very quiet now

Reading Leicester threads just makes me fear for the long term future of Leciester Speedway. Back in 1997, after 20-odds years without speedway in the city, Tim Stone brought the sport of speedway back to Newport. He built a nice little stadium and had a purpose built track, he had no constraints from others sports a she had a blank piece of paper to start with. The first season while not great was accepted as speedway was back, crowds were good, everyone was happy, Newport were generally accepted as having the biggest away support in the whole of British Speedway - seeing 400-500 yellow t-shirts at Reading ont eh 3rd bend was not unusual. The second season things were still good, Newport managed to speak into the play-offs and generally things were still good but already the promotion were peeing people off, it was very much their ball and if you wanted to play it was by their rules, they knew what they were doing, many people were banned from the stadium for speaking out. Then the 3rd year, as results go, a pretty great season for Newport, 2nd in the league, NT Trophy winners, did well int he 4's, pairs and made the podium of the PLRC, the club was going places. 4th year and a poor team was signed and more people were being told where to go if they didn't agree with the promotion, 2001 and team was assembled that nobody rated, it was terrible and the woodenspoon was won after a few embarrassing 60-30 home loses. 2002 and the management had actually seemed to listen, they bourgh back the heors of the 1999 side Watson and Smart - it was rumoured the pair of them would be at the training school the week before P&P day and 100's of people flocked over to the stadium to see them just ride around - The buzz was back, they lead the Wasps for the next two season and while the Wasps didn't win anything, just knowing that there were 2 (or 3 as in 2003 Niels Kristian iversen joined them) could win races kept most happy but while all this was going on the promotion still did things there own way, fell out with fans, fell out with sponsors, crowds were dwindling. Then from 2004 to Tim Stones death 2008 Newports crowds plummeted, done form the often quoted 2000+ to nearer 250, Newport struggled. The Mallets took over and with some bad luck and a similar attitude of "we know best" and eventually the club closed down. Gone was the purpose built stadium that was built as short a time ago as 1997 to be replaced by some protacabins on a rubble site.

I hope the same doesn't happen at Leicester but David Helmsley does seem to be annoying people and ignoring what they say int eh same way tim Stone did all them years and look where that got Newport Speedway :(

Great post SCB. History is there so we can learn it's lessons. Only the stupidly arrogant ignore it and believe they know better.

Leicester is either a messed up opportunity going downhill fast, or an amazing success after 28 years with no speedway here. Depends which side of this very divisive fence you sit I guess. When we campaigned to get the sport back in Leicester, particularly after finding the site in 2007 and the 4 years worth of solid work that eventually resulted in the successful return of the Lions, I can honestly say I never envisaged that Leicester fans would be so split and falling out with one another as they are now. The whole campaign was one of togetherness with everyone working towards achieving the same goal. Somehow, since the place actually opened, that's all gone out the window. I have my own views on why, but ultimately, it's a sad fact and the many different threads on this forum regarding events at Leicester are a case to point.

• Like 1

i think the promoters should close it down. then the poor guys can get some kip at night,,

• Like 1

As I have said before, most of the bad feeling has been caused by promised alterations not being done, or only minor tweaks that have made very little difference. Also we keep being told by the powers that be that the racing is fantastic when it clearly isn't. I have been to a couple of our away meetings this year and on both occasions the home fans were saying that the racing wasn't that good, yet it was loads better than we get on a normal Saturday. Regarding Mr Popple, I sure he means well but he does get more like Rayvon from Phoenix Nights every week!

• Like 2

Ha ha ha Rayvon thats tickled me

Shabba ;-)

But you are right he is damn awful.

As I have said before, most of the bad feeling has been caused by promised alterations not being done, or only minor tweaks that have made very little difference. Also we keep being told by the powers that be that the racing is fantastic when it clearly isn't. I have been to a couple of our away meetings this year and on both occasions the home fans were saying that the racing wasn't that good, yet it was loads better than we get on a normal Saturday. Regarding Mr Popple, I sure he means well but he does get more like Rayvon from Phoenix Nights every week!

Ha ha ha Rayvon thats tickled me

Shabba ;-)

But you are right he is damn awful.

If he shouts "the harder you scream the faster the ride" I'm coming back :rofl:

He is a yes man & is up Hemsley's arse so i thought he would have him back. But then i ask why make a positive change last season to have him back this year.

Hopefully by the time Berwick visit Rob will be back in the centre with Popple f**cked off

He talks constant clichéd riddled rubbish.

Adds absolutely nothing to the meeting at all. Even if he is free, which I suspect he is, he is embarrassing beyond belief.

Get rid.