British Speedway Forum
wizzer

British Youth Round @ Rye House Speedway Saturday 18th May 6pm

How many spectators showing an interest in the future of British speedway were there at the meeting. You can include mums and dads of course!

Far too few i would guess.People expect the finished product without supporting the riders on their way to the top.Pretty much the same in every country though.Even in Denmark where it is free to get in and the racing on the small 80cc tracks can be as good as 500cc

Zak Wajknecht defends his FIM title in Czecho next week.Wish him all the best

Edited by iris123
  • Like 1

Far too few i would guess.People expect the finished product without supporting the riders on their way to the top.Pretty much the same in every country though.Even in Denmark where it is free to get in and the racing on the small 80cc tracks can be as good as 500cc

Zak Wajknecht defends his FIM title in Czecho next week.Wish him all the best

Doug - thanks for this explanation. However, I think it was better in the 'good old days' when speedway aspirants bought a speedway bike in their teens, used to practice at places like Rye House, had a trial at their local track, then graduated via second-half races to speedway proper - if they were good enough.

Edited by Guest

Speedway has changed since you were editor of the speedway star.Even the speedway star has changed since then.The world has changed.Not always for the better,but we have to come to terms with it and accept the fact

Edited by iris123

Speedway has changed since you were editor of the speedway star.Even the speedway star has changed since then.The world has changed.Not always for the better,but we have to come to terms with it and accept the fact

That's just it Doug. We don't have to accept what is happening now. I still firmly believe the old methods of entering speedway were the best. Too much time and money is wasted on youth programmes which in the end progress very few forward to major honours in whatever sport they choose.

Aside from that brief six year stay at the speedway magazine, since then journalistically for more than 50 years I was involved in coverage of all sports and major news. I have seen many changes in walks of life since then and do not subscribe that we have to recognise un-needed change and accept the fact.

So far as speedway is concerned it has changed and not for the better. It's not quite at the 'dead but won't lie down stage' but from once being a major sport has slipped very much down among the minnows.

I don't see how competitions like youth championships are going to be a major influence in bringing the sport back to major status. Year on year things get progressively worse and like lemmings we all accept the sad trend as being progress.

I would add, perhaps controversially, that if people get pleasure and see benefit from organising and participating in youth events all power to their efforts.

Edited by Guest

What a complete P##CK,Do you think the likes of holder,ward,pederson etc...were allways this fast.Maybe you should get involved and pass some of you expert tips on to these kids.(bet your missus wishes you were going).

Best of luck to all the kids racing tonight,

What a pathetic response... I'm entitled to spend my time and money anyway I wish. My "missus" was very happy to spend the evening at home with a lovely cooked meal I prepared from scratch while watching the GP... What you do with your spare time is your business. I wouldn't dream of telling you that you're a pric*k, just cos I disagree with something you've said or done.

I'm not an expert, 99% of the posters on here aren't... I've been going to speedway since 1985, including a fair few meetings at the lower level. I haven't got the time to follow all levels of speedway thesedays, nor would I want to. I'm very happy with attending 50 odd mainly PL speedway meetings a season thanks very much.

Edited by Shadders
  • Like 1

I had a bad day

Never managed to get on track

Bike problems hope to be at next meeting

Connor fletcher