British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
NeilWatson

Mildenhall V Coventry Storm - National League Knockout Cup - Sunday 26th May 4.30pm

COVENTRY Storm need to win at Mildenhall on Sunday (4.30pm) if they are to maintain their interest in the National League Knockout Cup.

The Storm’s 45-47 defeat in the first leg at Brandon last week saw them fight back from a ten-point deficit to give themselves a chance against the current holders, although the Fen Tigers will still be favourites on their home circuit.

New signing Luke Crang makes his Coventry debut, and he is also in line to gain more experience of Brandon by racing in the second half following the Buildbase Bees’ home clash with Peterborough on Monday.

The Storm are, however, without two of their regular riders as No.1 Joe Jacobs is otherwise engaged on Premier League business for Glasgow, with Dudley’s Paul Starke booked to guest.

Meanwhile Lee Geary, who rode at reserve in the recent win at King’s Lynn, gains a further booking as Tommy Fenwick is unavailable due to work commitments.

Mildenhall have re-signed Ryan Terry-Daly this week having stood-down Nathan Stoneman, whilst they are waiting on the fitness of Jon Armstrong who aggravated a knee injury this week.

Storm co-boss Blayne Scroggins said: “We need to win by more than two points to get through – it’s going to be tough, but there’s no reason why we can’t go and do the job that’s needed. It’s in our hands at the end of the day.

“It’s unfortunate that we are without Tommy, but there’s nothing we can do about work commitments. These kids need full-time jobs to pay for their speedway, but I would like to thank Lee for stepping in and I know he will give 100 per cent.”

MILDENHALL: Stefan Nielsen, Aaron Baseby, Josh Bates, Jon Armstrong, Dan Halsey, Liam Rumsey, Ryan Terry-Daly.

COVENTRY: Paul Starke, Martin Knuckey, Robert Branford, Brendan Johnson, James Sarjeant, Lee Geary, Luke Crang.

Edited by NeilWatson

Forecast good, should be an excellent meeting!

Forecast good, should be an excellent meeting!

It was Phil!

COVENTRY Storm put up a valiant display in the second leg of their National League KO Cup tie at Mildenhall on Sunday afternoon.

The Fen Tigers eventually progressed by eight points on aggregate courtesy of a 48-42 win in the day, but the Storm remained in contention until the penultimate race and the tie had in fact been all-square after Heat 8.

There was a highly impressive debut from newcomer Luke Crang, who scored eight points from his first three rides and finished with paid-12 in his first full speedway meeting.

Robert Branford was in the thick of the action throughout and again hit double-figures, whilst Paul Starke worked hard as a guest for unavailable No.1 Joe Jacobs.

But there was no stopping home No.1 Stefan Nielsen, who scored a 15-point maximum, as the Fen Tigers made it into the last four of the competition, securing their progression with a 4-2 in the penultimate race.

MILDENHALL 48: Stefan Nielsen 15, Jon Armstrong 11, Daniel Halsey 8, Josh Bates 6+1, Aaron Baseby 4+1, Liam Rumsey 4, Ryan Terry-Daley 0.

COVENTRY 42: Robert Branford 11, Luke Crang 10+2, Paul Starke 9+1, Brendan Johnson 4+1, James Sarjeant 4, Martin Knuckey 3+1, Lee Geary 1+1.

Mildenhall win 95-87 on aggregate.

A second excellent meeting against the 'Storm' this season, both sides rode hard but fair and the result was just about right I'd say. Very impressed by Luke Crang who looks another fine recruit from motocross

Cracking meeting, best I have seen on my tour with some excellent racing from both sides. It proved what I have always believed: it's not the level of the league that dictates the quality of the entertainment it's the the track they are riding on.

Good to see a track man put a rider in his place where track preparation is concerned.

• Like 2