British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
OGT

Birmingham Mail Article.

I'm not slamming him, just want to put him right in his thoughts about speedway, show him it's not what he thinks, don't you agree? I said in my first post that he reckons he'll go again so that's good :) Surely journalists should always be embraced by clubs, if they come out with the right words they could do wonders for the club!

I cannot see anything detrimental in the article. I think it was a good reflection on a first time (?) visit to speedway. After - if the journalist concerned makes more - there will come a maturity to his viewpoint on what is happening.

I do not think the 'Birmingham Mail' article will do speedway in the city any harm at all.

And how can you put a person 'right in their thoughts'? What you want is an initial impression which is what was published. As the old journalistic saying goes - "More power to his pen."

But gustix, surely the words quaint and speedway don't go together, well I don't think they do, nor is it old fashioned unless he refers to every sport as old fashioned, football, cricket, snooker, darts etc etc ............

But gustix, surely the words quaint and speedway don't go together, well I don't think they do, nor is it old fashioned unless he refers to every sport as old fashioned, football, cricket, snooker, darts etc etc ............

I appreciate your concern in regard to the use of the word quaint to describe speedway. But overall, do you not think the article could have interested people in speedway or is it that the one word would put off a casual reader from going to see what it's all about?

Was the writer a sports journalist or a feature writer? If the latter, he would not have realised the use of the word quaint was taboo in regard to describing any sport - at least in some quarters. If he was a sports journalist I do not think use of the word quaint would have occurred to him. And as a result he has seriously damaged the cause of speedway in Birmingham, a club which in my far back youth I took a long distance interest in (from south London) with heroes like Phil 'Tiger' Hart, Wilbur Lamoreaux and Graham Warren special focal points for me.