British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Shadders

Air Fences

Heard a whisper last night that air fences are to be made compulsory in the Premier League from 2014. Dunno if this is old news, but certainly the first I've heard of it. Could impact heavily on a number of clubs if true.

To quote Lili von Schtüpp: "It's twoo, it's twoo!"

My Sheffield supporting friends say it could be the end for them as they won't have time to erect and dismantle the fence within the time constraints imposed by the Owlerton Stadium owners

In the next few weeks, expect a whole slew of tracks in PL and NL saying that they'll have to close if they need to get airfences, presuming this is true (sorry, twoo -- greal post!) but expect 80% of the same tracks somehow finding that they can install foam or air fencing after all.

Look, it has to come, and this won't be getting driven by the BSPA (although there will be people desperate to blame them) but from much higher up the tree.

What about FOAMFENCES! or that fence at Rye which Leaping Len claims is better than an air fence?

Look, it has to come, and this won't be getting driven by the BSPA (although there will be people desperate to blame them) but from much higher up the tree.

That's another thing I heard. A higher authority are pushing the plans through.

Silver has always said that he's against air fences at Rye as they'll restrict the view of the track for the spectators

What about FOAMFENCES! or that fence at Rye which Leaping Len claims is better than an air fence?

Having seen 4 riders lock together and smash head on into the Rye House fence I don't believe there is a better fence in the sport. At least one of them would have been carried off in an ambulance any where else.

Of course the regulations will include foam-fences (as at King's Lynn and Berwick) described by BSPA Chairman as "the next generation of safety barriers, safer than air fences".

British tracks will be required to have one of the (several) FIM-approved "soft" barriers in place before the circuit will be licensed to stage speedway next year or beyond.

I don't however think Uncle Len's chicken-wire fence is of a type currently approved by the FIM, somehow.

I don't however think Uncle Len's chicken-wire fence is of a type currently approved by the FIM, somehow.

Sittingbourne Rockets anyone?

This could be the catalyst for the demise (or the salvation) of the Elite League.

Some teams will already have, or will be able to install a suitable safety fence in time for the 2014 season - on the other hand, as noted on here, some may not be able to do so.

Those that can will move into an expanded Elite League, while those that cannot afford to will drop down to the National League. Or It might be called Premier league and National league, but either way it would still end up as just two leagues.

Watch this space .............................

Yes could be the end for sheffield as no way will we be errect the fence after the day time dogs meeting and get it inspected by the councils H & S people.

Edited by The Third Man

This could be the catalyst for the demise (or the salvation) of the Elite League.

Some teams will already have, or will be able to install a suitable safety fence in time for the 2014 season - on the other hand, as noted on here, some may not be able to do so.

Those that can will move into an expanded Elite League, while those that cannot afford to will drop down to the National League. Or It might be called Premier league and National league, but either way it would still end up as just two leagues.

Watch this space .............................

Watch this Space, your telling us something which eventually will become enevitable. So what your saying is nothing new..

The fence we have at Rye is the safest I've seen anywhere in the world, there are always going to be crashes in Speedway but our fence cushions the blow riders take then offers a run off area rather than chucking them back onto the track into the path of oncoming riders. Most tracks will benefit from an air/foam fence, there are a few however that won't.

My Sheffield supporting friends say it could be the end for them as they won't have time to erect and dismantle the fence within the time constraints imposed by the Owlerton Stadium owners

Big believer of the air/foam fences and rider safety is paramount.

If its made compulsary a

quick meeting with the owelerton owners should be able to iron that little problem out!!

Edited by speedway_dan

Yes could be the end for sheffield as no way will we be errect the fence after the day time dogs meeting and get it inspected by the councils H & S people.

Surely as long as the fence behind it stays the same every week and that is of a good enough standard the H&S people wont care that a few bags of air are stuck in front of it? i could understand if we were talking putting up and taking down and whole new fence but we're not.