British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Hamish McRaker

The Real League Table

Including Thursday the 26th June's results, here is the "real" league table.

The "points" figure is the percentage of points earned by the teams, from the maximum total points they could have achieved, both home and away combined.

1 Edinburgh 71

2 Workington 66

3 Redcar 61

4 Newcastle 60

5 Ipswich 58

6 Leicester 57

7 Somerset 52

8 Berwick 41

9 Scunthorpe 33

10 Plymouth 27

11 Sheffield 19

12 Glasgow 13

13 Rye House 0

Interesting reading that Somerset are so low down. I think the Comets are certs for the play offs but Edinburgh, Newcastle and Somerset are better teams at the moment

Expect to see Somerset move upwards, as their precentage starts to improve over the next few weeks whilst the percentage of one or two teams currently above them reduces.

I will update the table, hopefully weekly,

Hamish

Expect to see Somerset move upwards, as their precentage starts to improve over the next few weeks whilst the percentage of one or two teams currently above them reduces.

I will update the table, hopefully weekly,

Hamish

We will certainly see after racing Newcastle tonight.

So had you ridden one and won one by over 6 points, you'd be top of the real table?? Above some team that had ridden ten, won nine by over 6 points and lost one??...Thats make believe not real. Should it not be called the percentage premier league??

• Like 3

Cheers for the interest, folks!

Well obviously this table only starts to become useful, once most teams have had about 6 matches completed. I say "most", because Rye are on catch-up. But it gives a rough guide to who the "imposters" might be, and the realistic gaps between teams.

hamish

up to and including Sunday 30 June;

1. Edinburgh 74

2. Redcar 61

3. Workington 60

4. Ipswich 60

5. Somerset 57

6. Newcastle 56

7. Leicester 52

8. Scunthorpe 40

9. Berwick 37

10. Plymouth 33

11. Sheffield 19

12. Glasgow 12

13. Rye House 8

Main movers (upwards) are Ipswich.

Scunthorpe starting to close the big gap

Leicester down to their realistic place

My humble apologies to the Diamonds and thank you Diamond Rock.

I really shouldnae do the maths on a Monday morning, it takes longer now for the remaining brain cells to warm up, especially up here in the wilds of the outer isles!!

Ipswich's advance is not as meteoric as first supposed.

1. Edinburgh 74

2. Newcastle 66

3. Redcar 61

4. Worky 60

5. Ipswich 60

6. Somerset 57

7. Leicester 52

8. Scunnie 40

9. Berwick 37

10. Plymouth 33

11. Sheffield 19

12. Glasgow 12

13. Rye House 8

• Like 1

After the recent exploits of the mighty British/Welsh Lions and young Mr Murray, plus the anticipated successes of Mr Froome and Cricket England, can Team GB clothe itself in glory in the Speedway World Cup??

Anyway, here is the latest Real Table, up to and including Sunday 7 July, and including Redcar's extra "Pijper point".

1. Edinburgh 74

2. Redcar 63

3. Worky 63

4. Newcastle 61

5. Somerset 57

6. Ipswich 56

7. Leicester 48

8. Berwick 41

9. Scunny 38

10. Plymouth 36

11. Sheffield 19

12. Glasgow 11

13. Rye House 10

Do I detect a separation between the top 6, and the rest beginning to emerge?

Next week, I plan to assess the potential for teams to improve their standing by looking at the numbers of home and away matches they have left.

• Like 1

At the end of the season, surely the posititions of the pertcentage league will be the same as the real league, yeah ???

maybe should try a league percentage of race points on offer,,, (for someone who likes maths, lol)

As you all know I base my tables on the difference between away points gained less any home points lost which also I can assure you always ends up being exactly the same as the end of season real table and on this basis the current positions are as follows:-

01-Workington+11

02-Ipswich+11

03-Newcastle+11

04-Edinbugh+10

05-Redcar+8

06-Somerset+5

07-Leicester+5

08-Plymouth-4

09-Berwick-7

10-Rye House-7

11-Scunthorpe-8

12-Sheffield-9

13-Glasgow-16

It would therefore seem that the playoff pack now has 7 teams fighting it out for the 6 places.

• Like 1

Helloo and hope it is warm enough for yous. If yous need things to get a bit hotter, try setting fire to some lumps of charcoal and grill a few bits of greasy meat, that should do the trick.

This is the final "percentage table" from me, since from now onwards it starts to lose significance as teams begin to catch up on each other in terms of matches played, and the actual "scores on the doors" becomes a truer reflection of how things are.

1. Edinburgh 74

2. Redcar 64

3. Worky 63

4. Ipswich 60

5. Newcastle 58

6. Somerset 57

7 Leicester 49

8. Scunthorpe 40

9. Berwick 39

10. Plymouth 33

11. Sheffield 19

12. Rye House 14

13. Glasgow 10

However, just before I go, here are a few items to provide further grist to the mill.

Assuming that Plymouth, Sheffield, Rye House and Glasgow are out of contention - this would be the final total for each team, were they all to gain maximum points from their remaining home fixtures, added to existing points (as of Sunday 14th), and with no future away points added:

1. Ipswich 47

2. Edinburgh 46

3= Redcar 44

Worky 44

Newcastle 44

6. Leicester 41

7. Somerset 38

8. Berwick 33

9. Scunthorpe 32

Now the number of away matches remaining for these teams:

8: Scunthorpe

7: Somerset, Berwick

6: Edinburgh, Redcar

5: Worky, Newcastle, Ipswich

4: Leicester

I think that Edinburgh, Redcar, Worky, Ipswich and Newcastle are in good positions to clinch playoff places, providing nothing drastic happens to them.

As Berwick have a tough set of away matches left, I'm ruling them out of contention.

The two teams with the most to potentially gain, are Somerset and Scunthorpe.

Scunthorpe may have left themselves with too much to do, but they are currently in good shape albeit now with Mr Birks inconvenienced, but three of their away matches are on one single northern road trip which will be tough. I think they will go close but not close enough.

Which leaves Leicester and Somerset. Based on the season so far, i think Somerset will get the 6th place.

Cheerio, and happy roasting!!

Hamish

• Like 1

All of which just about confirms my chart.