British Speedway Forum

TO be honest I think they and Petr Ondrasik were hoping for a bigger influx of Polish fans

As David Brent said

'Everyone should have a pipe dream.'

TO be honest I think they and Petr Ondrasik were hoping for a bigger influx of Polish fans

Eggs in one basket! Great business accumen or what?

SOME of the Polish journos told us that many fans who had intended travelling did not once Gollob was out of the meeting. Poles like to win and obviously felt their chances were seriously diminished without the great one.

Eggs in one basket? Don't follow you...they didn't anticipate the whole crowd being from Poland, simply as stated above.

• Like 1

SOME of the Polish journos told us that many fans who had intended travelling did not once Gollob was out of the meeting.

This sort of thing always makes me smile.

The polish guys speaking a load of tosh about something that is completely impossible to either prove true or false.

But.

As a British journo, of some long standing.

I'm sure that you would never claim such a thing.

To know what a whole load of British fans were, collectively, going to do.

If only.

But then they didn't.

And they all know it's down to Gollob.

Wouldn't it be great if a British journos job really was that easy.

Edited by Grand Central
  • Like 1

We've just had a world cup final come down t a last heat decider and what do we have - floods of people telling us what a farce it was, rolling out the same arguments, it seems some people just love to complain.

now to make clear: i don't agree with seeding hosts to the final, i don't like the joker in its current form and the track in Prague is never going to be conducive to superb racing, though MJJ in heat 20 for example showed that passing was possible (and if it had been Peter Collins doing that in a youtube clip from 1977 no doubt everyone ould be saying that you don't get passing like that any mor)... BUT, the final was no worse then many many preceeeding finals from"the good old days.", nor are the current rules.system any worse than what has been happily accepted at various points in the past.

to address the main complaints:

"the joker is mickey mouse/unfair etc" : yet it doesn't give as much benefit to the trailing team as the old tac sub did, and most people didn't/don't have an issue with that (to use a TMC like analogy, if the joker rrule is like allowing cricket batsman double runs in the next over, the tac sub rule was like allowing to tail end batsmen to be replaced by your best two).

"Czech republic being seeded to the final makes it a farce": Did the same people complain it was a farce in 1980 when Englan won, when the qualifying system denied Denmark (one of the three orld class nations) a place in the final, instead two spots being filled by weak continental sides who had no chance of winiing, making it a two way contest for the title? Did they complain in 1989 when England won after bwing seeded to the final?

"The racing as rubbish": It wasn't great, but there have been some pretty poor finals over the years even in the "good old days." it's a fact in all sports that finals can often not be of the utmost quality (the rugby orld cup final in 2011, or many ot eh football world cup finals ) as there is no way to guarantee that conditions/riders/platyers etc. will all come together to produce a great spectacle on any given day. What you hope for is if the quality isn't great that this is made up for by tension/closeness, and a last heat decider certainly gives that.

Certainly improvements can be made. But it seems to me like this has been seen as just another opportunity to air the ususal grievances wi thout looking at the positives from the meeting.

There weren't any positives from the meeting!

Edited by oldtimer

There weren't any positives from the meeting!

No there was something positive to come out of it

I think we found that when it comes to the nominated races.

Magnetic nameplates are marginally better than coloured building bricks.

But only just.

Edited by Grand Central
  • Like 1

This sort of thing always makes me smile.

The polish guys speaking a load of tosh about something that is completely impossible to either prove true or false.

But.

As a British journo, of some long standing.

I'm sure that you would never claim such a thing.

To know what a whole load of British fans were, collectively, going to do.

If only.

But then they didn't.

And they all know it's down to Gollob.

Wouldn't it be great if a British journos job really was that easy.

YOU are in a very contrary mood... why would the Polish journos be talking a load of tosh? The loss of Gollob from the final was a huge topic in the Polish media and the reaction from the public provided significant evidence that many fans who had intended going had changed their minds.

• Like 1

The worst part about the joker? It's name! Call it a tactical double, a tactical ride. Just don't call it a joker FFS! Maybe the "farcial double point thing" or "the abomination" or "the embarasment"? No, all stupid names? Well so is "the joker".

If it was good enough for It's A Knockout it should be good enough for speedway. :rofl:

If calling something something else was all that was wrong with speedway then there is nothing at all to worry about in 2014.

SOME of the Polish journos told us that many fans who had intended travelling did not once Gollob was out of the meeting. Poles like to win and obviously felt their chances were seriously diminished without the great one.

Eggs in one basket? Don't follow you...they didn't anticipate the whole crowd being from Poland, simply as stated above.

if you can't see that as being 'eggs in one basket',Phil, should've gone to specsavers. :wink:

Good final tho?!?!?!

It would have been had Denmark not been fiddled out of it. :mad: :mad: :mad:

Why have the final in Czech republic if your relying on Polish fans to fill the venue not the home fans.Would have been more sensible to seed the Poles to the final not the czech's .Seems the Poles are a little bit fickle,wont support the race off if their team aren't in,wont travel if Gollob's not riding because their team might not win,what was the excuse in Czestochowa this year when their team were guaranteed a win and they still didn't show

Prague was a poor choice of venue as the racing is awful