British Speedway Forum

IT'S not all about what they earn but what they spend to remain competitive. One promoter told me of some of the bills sitting on his desk ... £1,500 for an engine overhaul, £600 for a standard service, £800 for a carburettor, £600 for a used carburettor ... this is expenditure neither the riders nor British speedway in particular can afford.

IT'S not all about what they earn but what they spend to remain competitive. One promoter told me of some of the bills sitting on his desk ... £1,500 for an engine overhaul, £600 for a standard service, £800 for a carburettor, £600 for a used carburettor ... this is expenditure neither the riders nor British speedway in particular can afford.

But this is no more expensive than other forms of motorcycle racing and far cheaper than some. If you cannot afford to ride, then dont. There is so much made of this and that we should pity them,Why ? The TOP riders earn a furtune for working 8 months a year. The lesser riders can ride speedway, earn a living and then work in the winter to pay for new bikes and parts. They have a good life style getting paid for what they like doing and its there choice. Little bit to much they want the fun and someone else pay for it for my likeing ! Should put their hand in their OWN pocket now and then.

I fancy a new Ferrari, wonder if any of the riders, clubs, sgp want to chip in help an old poor sponsor. :rofl: No doudt it. You want something, pay for it.

• Like 1

This sort of story baffles me.

Which defines insanity more succinctly?

They fact that this promoter is nutty enough to enter into an such an agreement with a rider.

Where the terms are such that these ridiculous bills land on his desk at all.

Or.

The fact that the same promoter is nutty enough to tell a journalist of his madness.

Whichever, it is difficult to offer sympathy to anyone involved.

Let alone £17.

Edited by Grand Central

The fact that the same promoter is nutty enough to tell a journalist of his madness.

Yet ask what a GP promoter gets charged for the privilege, and that's none of our business... :rolleyes:

• Like 1

Yet ask what a GP promoter gets charged for the privilege, and that's none of our business... :rolleyes:

Quite True.

As you know.

Different rules apply to all matters SGP related.

Edited by Grand Central
  • Like 1

But this is no more expensive than other forms of motorcycle racing and far cheaper than some. If you cannot afford to ride, then dont. There is so much made of this and that we should pity them,Why ? The TOP riders earn a furtune for working 8 months a year. The lesser riders can ride speedway, earn a living and then work in the winter to pay for new bikes and parts. They have a good life style getting paid for what they like doing and its there choice. Little bit to much they want the fun and someone else pay for it for my likeing ! Should put their hand in their OWN pocket now and then.

I fancy a new Ferrari, wonder if any of the riders, clubs, sgp want to chip in help an old poor sponsor. :rofl: No doudt it. You want something, pay for it.

............................ and people wonder why there is dearth of BRITISH Speedway Riders coming through. :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

All irrelevant figures. Until we know what they earn we cannot possibly know if those costs are terrible or not. If a rider is on £600 a point then a £600 service is loose change.

As for £1,500 for an engine overhaul, really? What are they doing to these engines? I dont claim to be some sort of mechanical wizard but I've now taken apart and played with a handful of A-series engines (out of a mini) and frankly there very little to it and having seen an exploded diagram of a speedway engine, there even less to one of them. So £1,500? The riders are being ripped off. How about they have a go themselves?

I DIDN'T say the promoter was paying the bills. They were on his desk waiting to go to the riders concerned. Of course these figures are relevant because so much money is going out of the sport. Riders on £600 a point! The general view in the UK is that very few if any riders would earn more than £175 a point, most far less so the costs of paying for and servicing equipment is important.

What is the fortune that The Don't Know is claiming the top riders earn? Probably less than a Premier League soccer player gets in a week. And they don't have the vast expenditure that speedway riders encounter.The cost of GM engines are rumoured to be going up by 20 per cent shortly. Of course it is their choice to ride or not but we should be thankful that they do.

• Like 1

I DIDN'T say the promoter was paying the bills. They were on his desk waiting to go to the riders concerned. Of course these figures are relevant because so much money is going out of the sport. Riders on £600 a point! The general view in the UK is that very few if any riders would earn more than £175 a point, most far less so the costs of paying for and servicing equipment is important.

What is the fortune that The Don't Know is claiming the top riders earn? Probably less than a Premier League soccer player gets in a week. And they don't have the vast expenditure that speedway riders encounter.The cost of GM engines are rumoured to be going up by 20 per cent shortly. Of course it is their choice to ride or not but we should be thankful that they do.

So MOST of the money going out of Speedway goes to Engine Tuners and the like?

We should indeed be thankful that they do.

One promoter told me of some of the bills sitting on his desk ... £1,500 for an engine overhaul, £600 for a standard service, £800 for a carburettor, £600 for a used carburettor ...

I DIDN'T say the promoter was paying the bills. They were on his desk waiting to go to the riders concerned.

So the bills from engine tuners to their self employed clients, the riders, are lying opened on the desk of their Promoter.

That Promoter is not paying the bills himself.

But he tells a journalist all the details.

Who then relays it to us.

But it would be wrong for us to speculate on how much sponsorship Monster may put into the sport.

Or other private financial matters in Speedway.

Very interesting.

Edited by Grand Central

I REALLY seem to be getting up your nose lately... what's your problem? The conversation wasn't between a promoter and journalist as such it was just two people discussing what is, believe it or not, a major drain on British speedway's limited financial resources. It was not an on the record chat which is why I did not name the promoter concerned. If you prefer for me not to relay that sort of information, fine. Others seem to appreciate it.

How the tuners and various component suppliers wish to bill their clients is surely up to them. I would imagine that many like to involve various tracks to try and ensure they get paid.

This has got absolutely nothing to do with what Monster pay in sponsorship fees ... and contrary to what The Don't Know keeps chirping about, they do pay. Exactly how much is a matter between them and IMG, just as it is with all the other events and riders they are involved with. This is hardly uncommon across the sporting world. Some deals are made public, many are not. That is the prerogative of the parties involved.

You and Humphrey appear obsessed by knowing what Monster pay IMG. Get over it. I don't lose sleep over how much various companies pay for their sponsorship of golf events that I watch or attend. Or even cricket.

Maybe sourced parts?

CONSIDERING that a new engine can cost around £4,500 (up to £7,500 with titanium) I would imagine that a rebuild would be considered worthwhile at £1,500. But then I am not an expert.

• Like 1

You and Humphrey appear obsessed by knowing what Monster pay IMG.

Don't think I've ever actually asked, but if people are interested, I don't see what they shouldn't speculate or indeed why there shouldn't be an investigative media.

It'll probably be possible to work out in due course anyway, and whilst I wasn't particularly bothered to know, perhaps I will make a point of it now... :P

I REALLY seem to be getting up your nose lately... what's your problem? The conversation wasn't between a promoter and journalist as such it was just two people discussing what is, believe it or not, a major drain on British speedway's limited financial resources. It was not an on the record chat which is why I did not name the promoter concerned. If you prefer for me not to relay that sort of information, fine. Others seem to appreciate it.

How the tuners and various component suppliers wish to bill their clients is surely up to them. I would imagine that many like to involve various tracks to try and ensure they get paid.

This has got absolutely nothing to do with what Monster pay in sponsorship fees ... and contrary to what The Don't Know keeps chirping about, they do pay. Exactly how much is a matter between them and IMG, just as it is with all the other events and riders they are involved with. This is hardly uncommon across the sporting world. Some deals are made public, many are not. That is the prerogative of the parties involved.

You and Humphrey appear obsessed by knowing what Monster pay IMG. Get over it. I don't lose sleep over how much various companies pay for their sponsorship of golf events that I watch or attend. Or even cricket.

Clearly I seem to have upset you.

Which seems a shame as your post (in combination with the previous two others) does not point out any inaccuracies in anything I wrote.

Conversations with people in the sport reveal all sorts of information; often this comes from parties that are not directly involved.

But it is totally understandable to assimilate this into our greater understanding of Speedway's current position; good or bad.

And this you have certainly done with your riders costs of engine tuning etc.

And whilst others seem to think that all discussion of riders finances is somehow off limits, I do not and have never said such.

But wheras I feel that any such information about the finances of the sport that we come by, even indirectly, may be 'fair game' for discussion.

You do not. You have limits. Limits that at the moment principally apply to sugary drinks companies

It is OK to point out that you know Monster pay something rather than zero and go public with that

But whether you do or do not know any more from off the record chats remains out of the public domain.

And as I did point out before that is your prerogative, no doubt.

But you ask what my problem is.

Inconsistancy.

I suppose.

That is all.

But anyway

I will fly the white flag and say 'Truce'.

Edited by Grand Central

You cannot compare speedway to Premier football in any shape or form. Football is very popular and attracts big money and sponsors. You forget i sponsored lots a riders. One example, top uk rider doing poland and sweden. After paying all bills, tax and himself a good wage all year. Banked £80.000 net. Not to sabby i think for doing something you like. Others have earnt much more and some much less.The idea with speedway to to get as much as you can free from suppliers and sponsors and keep the money you earn.

CONSIDERING that a new engine can cost around £4,500 (up to £7,500 with titanium) I would imagine that a rebuild would be considered worthwhile at £1,500. But then I am not an expert.

The cost of top tuners could be cut. Everyone stop using them and then they would have no work. PJR and such are not worth the money riders spend but it is supply and demand. Its just a circle, riders want faster bikes, go to top tuners. They hike the price as people want to use them and so it goes on.

Maybe the speedway star should start a help the riders fund and pay towards their costs, after all they have made a fortune out of the speedway fan over the years. :P

Chirping ? All i can say is either you or img tell porkies then. Dont really care which it is, just stateing what has been said. Believe what ya want Phil.

Anyway how have we gone off topic. WTC was pretty pants :D

• Like 1