British Speedway Forum

U speak a lot of sense mate,

You cannot compare speedway to Premier football in any shape or form. Football is very popular and attracts big money and sponsors. You forget i sponsored lots a riders. One example, top uk rider doing poland and sweden. After paying all bills, tax and himself a good wage all year. Banked £80.000 net. Not to sabby i think for doing something you like. Others have earnt much more and some much less.The idea with speedway to to get as much as you can free from suppliers and sponsors and keep the money you earn.

The cost of top tuners could be cut. Everyone stop using them and then they would have no work. PJR and such are not worth the money riders spend but it is supply and demand. Its just a circle, riders want faster bikes, go to top tuners. They hike the price as people want to use them and so it goes on.

Maybe the speedway star should start a help the riders fund and pay towards their costs, after all they have made a fortune out of the speedway fan over the years. :P

Chirping ? All i can say is either you or img tell porkies then. Dont really care which it is, just stateing what has been said. Believe what ya want Phil.

Anyway how have we gone off topic. WTC was pretty pants :D

They do it because they love it!

They do it for the thrill!

They do it for their ego!

They do it because they can!

They do it because they are lucky enough to have the skills to be good at it and earn a living! (Sometimes a good living, sometimes a decent living, sometimes an average living)

They do it because once upon a time they were a junior, amateur did well then chose to do it for the lifestyle / rewards!

Probably 95% of people who race cars or bikes in the country do it as a hobby (Whilst holding down 1 or 2 jobs to pay for it all)

A self employed "White Van Man" could probably put through in a year £20k of costs (Van, fuel, insurance, tax, public liability etc etc) They get more "better" work with a good van!

Speedway riders get more "better" work with better kit! (If they have the skill to use it) (You pay your money and take your choice)

Most self employed people have "costs" that go up every year!!!!!!!!

Motorsport is expensive, professional motorsport is very expensive!

Thats it going to take up Darts! (Hope to turn pro) Strewth just looked at the price of darts £30 - £50 for a decent set "cancel that idea" ! lol

M

Edited by Mixy230
  • Like 1

Some interesting observations on this thread. Without wishing to re-ignite the disagreement between Mr Rising & Mr Tomlin (especially now that they seem to be willing to kiss & make up over a pint) I think the clue as to how much Monster actually put into the BSI coffers is in the wording on the SGP website.

The FIM Speedway Grand Prix is “presented” by Monster Energy, while they appear to be the actual title sponsors of the World Cup. I would hazard a guess that in real terms this means that Monster pay little or nothing for the SGP association and probably a nominal amount to pick up the SWC title sponsorship as part of the package.

There is no doubting the mainstream credibility that Monster brings to the series, as a recognised brand which is already associated with many other motorsports. The Monster presentation element essentially consists of a handful of “athlete’s” with Monster sponsored helmets & minor branding, some branded airfence banners, a bevy of scantily clad young ladies who magically appear at key stages of the meeting, and a stack of complimentary cans of carbonated water with added sugar & caffeine. It’s bad taste in every sense.

While it’s hardly a ground breaking marketing strategy, I guess it helps to bring World Championship speedway a step closer to other sports such as motocross or superbikes, in terms of how it is perceived by the public.

Returning to the original subject, as far as the World Cup goes, I am never going to win any prizes for originality, but like pretty much everyone else on the forum or any speedway folk I speak to, I hate the dreaded joker rule, which once again ruined the competition as a genuine sporting contest.

This is a World Championship event & the rightful winners were robbed, just like they were a couple of years ago. It doesn’t make it any more exciting, it just turns the whole thing into a farce. This continual line of “making it more exciting for TV audiences” is trotted out every year, and the overwhelming view of speedway fans is ignored every year. I will be referred to as a speedway purist, so my view is obviously not important, but I can bet that any casual TV sports fan who happened to be watching, would find the whole thing at best completely bizarre and at worst utterly farcical.

I appreciate that Mr Joe Parsons may be off his head on a continual caffeine & sugar rush, or may not be especially bothered as there are too many other “distractions” around, but the best thing that he could do to assist the sport, is to have a quiet word in the relevant ear, and help get rid of a ridiculous rule which makes a mockery of the competition that his company puts its name to.

Edited by Dave C
  • Like 1

It's good to see I'm not alone with my hatred of the stupid joker. It makes me really angry that such a rule is used, it devalues the event no end.

• Like 1

Some interesting observations on this thread. Without wishing to re-ignite the disagreement between Mr Rising & Mr Tomlin (especially now that they seem to be willing to kiss & make up over a pint) I think the clue as to how much Monster actually put into the BSI coffers is in the wording on the SGP website.

The FIM Speedway Grand Prix is “presented” by Monster Energy, while they appear to be the actual title sponsors of the World Cup. I would hazard a guess that in real terms this means that Monster pay little or nothing for the SGP association and probably a nominal amount to pick up the SWC title sponsorship as part of the package.

There is no doubting the mainstream credibility that Monster brings to the series, as a recognised brand which is already associated with many other motorsports. The Monster presentation element essentially consists of a handful of “athlete’s” with Monster sponsored helmets & minor branding, some branded airfence banners, a bevy of scantily clad young ladies who magically appear at key stages of the meeting, and a stack of complimentary cans of carbonated water with added sugar & caffeine. It’s bad taste in every sense.

While it’s hardly a ground breaking marketing strategy, I guess it helps to bring World Championship speedway a step closer to other sports such as motocross or superbikes, in terms of how it is perceived by the public.

Returning to the original subject, as far as the World Cup goes, I am never going to win any prizes for originality, but like pretty much everyone else on the forum or any speedway folk I speak to, I hate the dreaded joker rule, which once again ruined the competition as a genuine sporting contest.

This is a World Championship event & the rightful winners were robbed, just like they were a couple of years ago. It doesn’t make it any more exciting, it just turns the whole thing into a farce. This continual line of “making it more exciting for TV audiences” is trotted out every year, and the overwhelming view of speedway fans is ignored every year. I will be referred to as a speedway purist, so my view is obviously not important, but I can bet that any casual TV sports fan who happened to be watching, would find the whole thing at best completely bizarre and at worst utterly farcical.

I appreciate that Mr Joe Parsons may be off his head on a continual caffeine & sugar rush, or may not be especially bothered as there are too many other “distractions” around, but the best thing that he could do to assist the sport, is to have a quiet word in the relevant ear, and help get rid of a ridiculous rule which makes a mockery of the competition that his company puts its name to.

It's good to see I'm not alone with my hatred of the stupid joker. It makes me really angry that such a rule is used, it devalues the event no end.

You two are most DEFINITELY NOT alone in your hatred of the bloody stupid 'Joker'. It ruins the credibilty of our Sport and those who brought in the Rule have no conception of how it is viewed by the vast majority of REAL Speedway Supporters.

CHEAP AND NASTY!!! :mad: :mad:

Edited by The White Knight
  • Like 1