British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Eglese 19

The Gp Points System

I know you disagree as do a lot of people and that's fine, I know my the point I'm making and it's a matter of opinion, I'm not wrong and neither are you, it seems the majority like it how is so that's fair enough.

It's very welcome and excellent to have a contributor who can calmly put forward their opinion or counter-argument without having to attack posters or ridicule their views.

I've not been particularly aware of seeing your name before, then again on the whole i do tend to read the post and not look to see who's posted. But if i see a good post and well constructed i might glance to see who wrote it.

The 20-heat individual format is about the fairest you can get, but the league format isn't necessarily designed to be fair. 7 riders allows heats to be programmed so that riders don't need to take two on the trot, and in most cases they have at least two heats in-between (which was/is an important consideration for extra T/S and R/R). 8 would be better as it would allow for better balanced heats, but presumably it would also mean paying the travel expenses of an extra rider.

The original 13-heat format and its latter day derivatives is designed so that riders in equivalent categories (e.g. heat leaders, second-strings, reserves) generally ride against each other more often. Although quirky in places, it is quite cleverly formulated and unlike most things in speedway, has largely stood the test of time.

Sorry to 'muddle' the waters, i wasn't referring to the heat line-ups regarding the Elite League but rather the fact that each team doesn't meet each other equally and transposing that on to an individual meeting referring to riders rather than teams.. I was going to add a bracket to clarify that at the time.

Guest David Telfer

"The sport has always run races on a 3-2-1-0 basis which is a great example of something being simple, very easy to remember and wouldn't befuddle a potential newcomer to the sport".

I accept your argument in principle ManchesterPaul but why should a newcomer to speedway be befuddled to find out that the winner of a Grand Prix was awarded the most points? Is it not more likely that a newcomer would be confused as to why the winner got fewer points than the runner up?

Guest David Telfer

Perhaps we could all meet somewhere in the middle if the GP format was altered to 23 heats instead of 20 heats, two semis and a final. Then the top eight scorers after 20 heats had been run would go on to heats 21 and 22. The top scorers after heats 21 and 22 had been run, who may not necessarily be the first two in each race, would go forward to heat 23. The rider with the most points after heat 23 had been run would be declared the winner. Much like the old one off final but with 3 extra heats.

• Like 2

The thing is that the qualifying heats are very much dependent on the draw. We saw Covati beat Emil in the heats which was down to the draw. Riders are much less likely to have a real go for 1 extra point where they might got an extra 5.

Fiddling for fiddling sake just seems a waste of time to me. Speedway is 3-2-1-0 points sport, leave it at that. Keep it simple. "How many points did he score in that race mate?" It'll always be "three" if he won it.

Have to say I agree, as it stands every point has to be earned and finishing first or second in the semi finals gives everyone the chance to gain more in the final.

And no more big gaps between riders in the overall totals, keeps the series alive for longer.

Perhaps we could all meet somewhere in the middle if the GP format was altered to 23 heats instead of 20 heats, two semis and a final. Then the top eight scorers after 20 heats had been run would go on to heats 21 and 22. The top scorers after heats 21 and 22 had been run, who may not necessarily be the first two in each race, would go forward to heat 23. The rider with the most points after heat 23 had been run would be declared the winner. Much like the old one off final but with 3 extra heats.

Sorry but I pressed the Like button for this by total accident!

I HATE this idea.

Is there a way of removing a 'like' from a post?

Guest David Telfer

The format I suggested of 23 heats was more than slightly tongue in cheek. Apologies if it confused any posters. At the end of the day all I am saying is that I personally prefer a scoring system where the winner gets the most points. I have no problem with anyone else who disagrees.

As a Forum newcomer I would also be grateful if anyone can please explain to me how to copy and paste a quote from another poster.